MMA Fighter Brock Lesnar Faces Multiple Wildlife Violations in Canada

Field Notes

December 19, 2011

MMA Fighter Brock Lesnar Faces Multiple Wildlife Violations in Canada

--Chad Love

Professional fighter Brock Lesnar has been charged with multiple wildlife violations in Canada stemming from a recent Alberta deer hunt.

From this story in the Toronto Sun:

Following a recent hunting trip to eastern Alberta, ultimate fighting superstar Brock Lesnar is grappling with a foe in an entirely different ring. Charges related to the improper handling of hunted game were read out against the sometime UFC and WWE champ in Medicine Hat Provincial Court Thursday.

The burly fighter failed to properly tag at least one of two animals his party had shot — a white tail and a mule deer, said Darcy Whiteside, spokesman for Alberta Sustainable Resource Development. “They shot an animal and didn’t tag it,” said Whiteside.

His guide and Albertan Chad Stryker, who was allegedly accompanying the celebrity, is also charged with the offences - unlawful possession of wildlife, abandon/wastage of the edible flesh of big game, and after killing wildlife, failure to immediately affix tag. The alleged offences occurred over several days in mid November on a grazing reserve near Manyberries. "In plain language, it would be considered poaching," said Whiteside. Neither men appeared in court Thursday.

Thoughts? Reaction?

from Muleynut30.06 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

This is just another example of a big name star who thinks rules dont apply to them giving the anti's just that much more to say against those of us who follow the laws and against the sport.

from varmit slayer wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

I pity Brocks future cellmate.....

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

It makes it worse for us when the big names violate the law becasue of the news headlines that it makes. Local Joe Blow may not make the news, but one of these overrated people always makes the headlines. Like someone said I guess they think they are above the law. I'm sure his guide knew better.

from Bryan01 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

There's not enough information in that article for me to reach an opinion about Lesnar - did he act in a despicable manner? Quite possibly, but I'll reserve judgment until I know more.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

sounds like the guide and lesners "group" was not being thorough which is important when hunting in different areas and to guides(was it lesners deer or someone associated with him). I started dragging my deer to a trial to dress out this year and forgot to tag it before i got it there and my uncle reminded me, just those kind of mental slips that can get you into trouble. I'd like to hear more before i pass judgement also.

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

I'd like to know more about the abandonment and waste. I don't think the non-hunting public gives a rat's @$$ about failure to tag immediately, but wasting meat pisses people off. Me included.

from AwesomeAustin wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

As long as the meat wasn't wasted, I dont happen to give a $#!T

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Laws are Laws--period!

from RealGoodMan wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

What else would you expect from a loser on steroids. The fact that there's wasted meat involved is even more shameful. I hope they deliver his ass a steep fine. I wonder what's new with that lowlife Jeff Foiles?

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Not really enough info here to pass judgement or even who broke the laws so a crappy article in general. What part did the guide play in this? Was it Lesnar or a member of his hunting "party"? Was the guide charged with other offenses not related to the Lesnar party because it it appears he was brought up on more than just failure to tag. I try to give the benefit of the doubt but the state of trophy hunting as it is now they are probably guilty as heck of trying to get away with something.

I ask because I know I have field dressed several deer or gotten 50yards into a drag before I remember "oh crap you had better notch your tag". No malice but a technical violation.

from Cory Glauner wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I was interested in reading your story, but the MONSTROUS advertisement that covered the ENTIRE screen made me change my mind.

from IowaUpland wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Hard to tell with this information of what exactly happened, I'm all for him getting fined and loosing his hunting rights if he truely shot a deer he dint have a tag for. On the other side of the coin, Why would a reputable guide risk his reputaion for one client? Sounds like it could be a technicality issue (tag in wrong place, tag came off on the drag back to the truck... and since he is a "superstar" he is targeted for a fine. Everyone has their hands out in this economy no exeptions anymore

from tom warner wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Bathory27 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Rules apply to everyone. Big name or just someone like me and you.

from hutter wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Rule number one is to always know all hunting regs in the area you are hunting ! I'm sure Brock has hunted before and knows that the first thing you do is put your tag on the animal you have killed. In Montana you have to tag it before you even field dress. SO my opinion is he's guilty, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

from shotgunlou wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

"Oh, we tend to be so quick to condemn! As was pointed out, this was a truly crappy typical news account. I would certainly reserve my opinion and do not think that this should have been printed in F&S until all the facts are in. We constantly read BS in the news which later proves to be inaccurate, but by then it's too late - the damage has been done to some poor guys reputation, and which never really goes away."

Couldnt agree more. If he did it he'll get a fine and more. We dont know all the circumstances so we cant jump to conclusions. Was it Brock? Was it his guide? What exactly was the offense? Intentional or just ignorance? While ignorance does not negate responsibility it does beg the question of what his penalty should be. I too wish they would have all pertinant information before pasting crap like this all over the news.

from blackjac wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

This is the classic example of "getting ink"...that is to say we're all reading and making honest comments from the heart.BU--L SH-T! wake up, this smells as as a planted story. The fine will be chump change and the guide got his name in the story. Lesner will pay all "fines"for himself & the guide. Welcome to "press relations"!!!

from GENO wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Way to go Brock. Hopefully our friends to the North can set an example for our legal system when it comes to dealing with celebrity lawbreakers.

from dakasper wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I'm looking forward to not having to see this bafoon's face in next year's Scent Killer advertisement that has been in our hunting regulations handbook the last couple years.

from dakasper wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I know in Alaska when I was dar 68-90, they can take all your gear including every vehicle and means (including but not limited to, personal jet, RV, SUV, Boat, ATV, all gear including boots just to name a few) of travel you own to get from home to the sight of the violation.

I've witnessed a few times Caribou & Moose hunting; hunters mistakenly removed the proof of sex being overcome by black flies which leave grotesquely large swollen bite areas and some requiring emergency medical care. If this happens, carry the parts and own up to it at first contact. Chances are, they will inspect the meat etc and give you a warning and don’t even think of “BS” THEM! They know more than you really think and be on you like stink on (you figure this one out)!!! They don't play games, but they are nice folks just tell the truth and own up to it. I knew one fella who wounded one Bull Caribou and killed 3 cows with one shot. Because he didn't validate his harvest card, he was fines $100.00 and suspended hunting privileges for the remainder of the season (another story but I will say, they should have thrown the book at this idiot)

Because of Trophy Hunters, those who just cape out the animal and take the horns/antlers leaving the edible meat valued by Natives and other Residents you can understand why the harsh rules.

Devil fly's

from varmit slayer wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

I pity Brocks future cellmate.....

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

from RealGoodMan wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Muleynut30.06 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

from Bryan01 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Laws are Laws--period!

from tom warner wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from dakasper wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Cory Glauner wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from IowaUpland wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Bathory27 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Rules apply to everyone. Big name or just someone like me and you.

from hutter wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago