KS May Nix Hunting and Fishing License Exemption for Seniors

Field Notes

January 06, 2012

KS May Nix Hunting and Fishing License Exemption for Seniors

By Chad Love

In an age of reduced funding sources, declining hunter participation, and increases in the average age of hunters, can cash-strapped state wildlife agencies afford to continue offering exemptions to hunting and fishing licenses? That's the issue facing Kansas as its wildlife department prepares to ask the state legislature to eliminate the state's senior citizen exemption for hunting and fishing licenses.

From this story in the Wichita Eagle:
Kansas senior citizens could be required to buy hunting and fishing licenses after this year. For decades, residents 65 and over have been exempt from the annual permits that currently sell for about $18 each. Chris Tymeson of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Commission said Thursday that the agency will ask the Legislature to remove the exemption.

He said the request is being made to ensure continued funding for the agency as the average age of sportsmen continues to increase. Those currently exempt would not be grandfathered in. Exemptions and reduced rates for landowners would continue. As well as increased direct funding, the additional number of hunting and fishing licenses sold would qualify the department for more federal funding from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Your thoughts? Is your state considering something similar? Considering that most state wildlife agencies are largely self-funded, should there be any exemptions at all?

from dmbezzell wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Is it just me or should the headline read..."KS May Nix Hunting and Fishing License Exemption for Seniors," that is if I correctly remember my state abbreviations from back in Middle School?

from stick500 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

yeh it's KS- right now it says KN on main page and KY on this page :)

still love your stuff though Chad!

from fordman155 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

The revenue from the over 65-yr old hunters isn't going to amount to a drop in the bucket. Sure, there will be some law-abiding citizens who pay their due amount. Some penny-pinching bureaucrat figured out this is going to help save the State of Kansas. I doubt it helps squat.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

The legislature in WV passed the law last year that requires Senior Citizens over 65 to start buying a lifetime license this year. I don't mind buying it because it only cost $25.00 and the state gets to count it as a license sold every year and collect Pittman-Robertson funds from the Feds for our states treasury. I don't have to buy it because I turned 65 before the first of Jan. but I am going to buy it anyway to try to help. Our Wildlife Agencies need all of the help they can get. It is a one time lifetime license.

from jbird wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

I live in MO right next door to KS. You know what stinks? The fact that practically every state park in KS and MO have tons of horseback riding trails or bicycle trails, yet hunters/anglers foot the bill for everything. Don't get me wrong, when I hunt state ground, I like the perfectly manacured trails for quietly and easily getting into the timber, until a gang of horseback riders come trotting by, spooking off the gobbler I've been working for an hour. I have nothing against horses, bikes or hikers in general. I just think it's unfair for hunters to have to foot such a lion's share of the bill for state grounds.

If KS needs to make the elderly pay for their liscenses, so be it, but just ONCE, I'd like to see the equestrian or cyclist crowd pick up the check for dinner, you know?

from pheasant88 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

maybe if kansas would learn from missouri, to make a portion of ALL sales tax go to conservation department, not just taxes on outdoor equipment go to conservation. I live in kansas, but missouri has alot more to offer than kansas.First, from my knowledge, there are no manned shooting ranges around kansas city, kansas; unlike missouri where my dad and i have to go to sight in rifles(Parma Woods). Secondly some missouri shooting ranges and outdoor education areas offer classes about almost everyithng from wingshooting classes, to jerkey making. Finally,again from my knowledge,a missouri biolgist will come to your land and help you to make your land more wildlife friendly. I do like however that both states offer free hunting privaleges (except for deer and turkey) for those 16 and younger. Im 15 and take advantage of that. Small game in missouri, and small game and waterfowl in kansas, neither of which i have to pay licenses, Hip stamps, or waterfowl stamps for. But that is about to end

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Sadly my grandfather is 85 and in poor health which is why he can no longer hunt. when I was 16 my grandparents bought for me a lifetime hunting licence which I put to good use in highschool and college. (we moved over the border to missouri but the licence allowed me to buy resident tags) I hope to one day return to KS with my wife and hunt and fish my area again.

from CL3 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

yeah, booooooo! come on people! Is it really going to bring in any real revenue?!

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

WV has figured $150,000.00 the first year and about &60,000.00 to $75,000.00 each year after. Maybe dosen't sound like much but enough to equip, train and put another Natural Police Officer or two on duty the first year and one each year after.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Natural Resources Police Officer, its new to me, they changed their name after I retired as a Coservation Officer.

from The White Slug wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

A person lives in an area (presumably for decades) and has helped to build it up with their hard work and tax paying. In essence that senior citizen is a shareholder. So our gift to that person is to tax them till they bleed and take away what little perks come with elderly status. Might as well send them out on ice flows like the Eskimos used to do. Disgusting.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

007,
I received my Lifetime Senior Citizen license in the mail Sat. My license no is #65. Didn't ever think that I would ever see anything like that in my lifetime. I didn't have to buy it, but to help the Dept, I decided to buy it. Collectors item for the great-grandkids one of these days.

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Remind me not to move to Kansas when I'm 65.

from jbird wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from dmbezzell wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from fordman155 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from pheasant88 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from stick500 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

yeh it's KS- right now it says KN on main page and KY on this page :)

still love your stuff though Chad!

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from The White Slug wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

007,

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Remind me not to move to Kansas when I'm 65.