Massachusetts Firefighters Save Deer from Well

Field Notes

January 31, 2012

Massachusetts Firefighters Save Deer from Well

--Chad Love

Here's one from the "Next Time, Let's Just Stick To Kittens In Trees" files. Firefighters in Truro, Mass. spent most of Sunday figuring out how to rescue a deer that had fallen down an abandoned well.

From this story on whdh.com:

Crews rescued a deer stuck in a well on Sunday. Authorities say the deer may have been caught in the Truro well for days. The deer was 12 feet down the dry well, and kicking wildly. “I've gone to many animal complaints; I’ve never seen a wild animal this upset. She tried several times to jump out of the hole and she was just not able to clear the 12 to 14 foot hole,” said Officer Jeremiah Valli of the Truro Police Department. They couldn't shoot the deer with a tranquilizer because he’s a game animal.

The only option was for someone to go down and rope the animal. Truro firefighter Captain Shannon Corea was up for the job. “I just wasn't sure how she was going to react to me being right next to her like that. But I took the chance, went slowly, she sniffed me a little bit and then when I got in there I just talked to her. I told her we were there to help her," said Captain Shannon Corea of the Truro Fire Department.

The captain's deer-whispering skills did the trick. Once the rope was in place, police and fire hauled the deer up and she was off, running over a hill to open marsh land. “We don't plan for a lot of what we get, so improvising is part of the deal, and that's what we did and we were able to help her out,” said Captain Corea. Neighbors say they'll make sure the well is sealed off for good.

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Excellent!

from pillagermn wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Couldn't shoot the deer with a tranquilizer because it's a game animal?? That one doesn't make much sense to me. I see game animals shot with tranqs on TV all the time. Why risk injury in a situation like that? Shoot it and grill it.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

I know some Jersey firemen/hunters who did the same thing about two years ago. Tied a rescue harness and freed an exhausted doe from a well. Let her go to see another day.

from larson014 wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

pretty dangerous to leave an uncovered well like that... pretty irresponsible, especially with all those homes nearby

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

There are a lot of these old wells that dot the landscape where I hunt. I always cover them with some sort of strong wood and try to circle the area with cord to prevent anyone or anything accidently falling into one at night.
I flag the area so a hunter can see this hazard during daylight hours.
I'm pretty sure this deer will avoid this area from now on!

from basman wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

what a warm and fuzzy story.

from joaxe wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

...seconds after the deer disappeared over the hill toward the open marsh land, the onlooker's hearts fell as they heard a single report from a high-caliber rifle.

Film at 11.

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

She'll be good for twins next year. Maybe one will be a booner!Nice work!

from harrysin47 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

This was a really great visit of my life.I really got knowledge and confidence.Thank you very much for this.
cord covers

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Excellent!

from pillagermn wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from larson014 wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

I flag the area so a hunter can see this hazard during daylight hours.
I'm pretty sure this deer will avoid this area from now on!

from basman wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

what a warm and fuzzy story.

from joaxe wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Film at 11.

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

She'll be good for twins next year. Maybe one will be a booner!Nice work!

from harrysin47 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago