Nearly 600-Pound Bluefin Tuna Sells for $736K in Japan

Field Notes

January 05, 2012

Nearly 600-Pound Bluefin Tuna Sells for $736K in Japan

By Chad Love

An almost 600-pound bluefin tuna caught off the coast of Japan set the all-time auction record yesterday at Japan's famous Tsukiji Fish Market. How much did the fish sell for? About $736,000 dollars. That's a lot of tuna salad.

From this story in the Washington Post

This tuna is worth savoring: It cost nearly three-quarters of a million dollars. A bluefin tuna caught off northeastern Japan fetched a record 56.49 million yen, or about $736,000, Thursday in the first auction of the year at Tokyo’s Tsukiji fish market. The price for the 593-pound (269-kilogram) tuna beat last year’s record of 32.49 million yen.

The price translates to 210,000 yen per kilogram, or $1,238 per pound — also a record, said Yutaka Hasegawa, a Tsukiji market official. Though the fish is undoubtedly high quality, the price has more to do with the celebratory atmosphere that surrounds the first auction of the year. The winning bidder, Kiyoshi Kimura, president of Kiyomura Co., which operates the Sushi-Zanmai restaurant chain, said he wanted to give Japan a boost after last year’s devastating tsunami. “Japan has been through a lot the last year due to the disaster,” a beaming Kimura told AP Television News. “Japan needs to hang in there. So I tried hard myself and ended up buying the most expensive one.” Kimura also said he wanted to keep the fish in Japan “rather than let it get taken overseas.”

The bluefin tuna is easily the most endangered, overfished and on-the-brink pelagic gamefish species swimming our oceans, and with prices like this, it's easy to see why. Is there any hope to save it, or is the bluefin simply doomed?

from tleichty1989 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Wow thats quite a fish. Ive heard of guys catching a tuna off the coast on a fishing voyage and paying for there whole vacation! That would be quite a time pulling one of those bad boys in.

from HogBlog wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Doomed. 7 Billion people and counting, and all of them want to eat. Fish stocks are crashing hard, and it's unlikely to see an appreciable reversal in our lifetimes... or in the lifetime of species like the bluefin tuna, swordfish, or many sharks.

The only way to reverse the trend is draconian laws and enforcement, which is highly unlikely on the international level.

from jbird wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Doomed. With prices anywhere close to this, I don't see how they stand a chance.

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Sorry Charlie!

from firedfred wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Doomed!!!!

from Gimpergoo wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

As long as you can get that much for a tuna...doomed!

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Tells you what has to be done to protect fish...destroy their market/commercial value. Otherwise they will never get protected. That is why I was rooting for commercial fish farms. Groups wanted to attack them as causing problems. Dunno, I think the problems presented could be overcome.

from nataliefish123 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

That is incredible! First, that it's such a big fish, and second, that it sold for so much money! I'd rather take my money to go somewhere that I could catch my own fresh fish! :)

-natalie.fish
www.waterfall.com

from tleichty1989 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Sorry Charlie!

from firedfred wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Doomed!!!!

from Gimpergoo wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

As long as you can get that much for a tuna...doomed!

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago