Tis The Season for Sporting Expo's

Field Notes

January 03, 2012

Tis The Season for Sporting Expo's

By Kirk Deeter

When I can't actually be out on the river fishing, the next best thing is to be with thousands of like-minded outdoorsy people talking about fishing. And that's exactly what I'll be up to in the next few days, when the International Sportsmen's Exposition rolls into Denver January 5-8 at the Colorado Convention Center.

I'll actually be hosting the Fly Fishing Theater, introducing the likes of Pat Dorsey, Kelly Galloup, Landon Mayer, and April Vokey. I'm going to be giving a couple talks myself, focused on "Stillwater Fishing for Trophy Trout" at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, and 1:30 p.m. on Friday.

I think, next to carp fishing, lake fishing for trout will get the majority of my attention this coming summer. Most fly anglers don't appreciate lake fishing for trout enough in my opinion, although it makes you better and it's a great way to beat the crowds.

So those of you near Denver who want to pop in and talk about fly fishing, please do so. I should be easy to find. Those of you who aren't into fly fishing will find plenty of hunting and gear fishing distractions to keep you busy (there are over 500 companies planning to be there). But if you do want to learn to fly fish, Orvis and Angling University are offering free lessons to anyone.

If you're not around Denver, ISE is also making stops in Sacramento (January 19-22), Las Vegas (February 2-4), Phoenix (February 23-26) and Salt Lake City (March 15-18).

Admission is $15 for adults, kids under 15 and active duty military get in for free.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I'll be there Friday and Saturday, if I don't catch up before your Friday 1:30 appearance on stage, I'll see you then.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Already have plans for the Dallas Safari Club Convention on the same dates.

from kirkdeeter wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I'll see you there koldkut...I have four rods to test with you.

from Happy Myles wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I'll be at Dallas Safari Club those dates, then in Vegas for Rocky Mountain Elk, and Safari Club International both there the 19th I believe. Look forward to seeing you Buckhunter

from Happy Myles wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

RMEF, SCI I guess is Jan 29 in Vegas, not the 19th

from 007 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Two little shows coming up next month in our area, Jim Shockey at one, Harold Knight at the other. We usually go to the one Harold will be at.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Deeter You going to be hanging out with April Volkey?!! Your year is starting out right. She just got her casting certification not long ago from a guy that works down the street from me...Simon Gawesworth. That gal could teach you a thing, or two. Please post a picture with you and April. Maybe I can use my photo shop software, and put my head on your shoulders, and cut'n paste it in my wallet.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Sayfu, Met Simon in Michigan a couple years ago. Nice guy.

Also, April is 1/2 of your age. Joan Wulff however...

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

buckhunter...Please. I've got a bad heart, and April makes it flutter...good therapy. Wish I could get ahold of April...tell her I'm rich. Maybe that would seal the deal. This fellow I know contacted Simon to talk Spey casting lessons...1/2 I think was $700 !!!

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Sayfu, You have as much chance of landing April Vokey as you do a tarpon out of the South Platte.

Sorry. Some dreams die hard.

Jump on a plane and come to Dallas. Worth every penny just to be able to have a chat and a drink with Happy Myles.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

buckhunter...I got sport showed out years ago. Operated a booth at the big Seattle show for a number of years, and attended them after that..got burned out smilin, and shakin hands...probably why I am grumpy today. Ours turned into flea markets, and just made the retailers mad. Parking?..ugg. I'm a small town guy now.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Sayfu, Met Simon in Michigan a couple years ago. Nice guy.

Also, April is 1/2 of your age. Joan Wulff however...

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Already have plans for the Dallas Safari Club Convention on the same dates.

from kirkdeeter wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I'll see you there koldkut...I have four rods to test with you.

from Happy Myles wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

RMEF, SCI I guess is Jan 29 in Vegas, not the 19th

from 007 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Sorry. Some dreams die hard.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago