CA Game Commission Pres. Refuses to Resign Over Lion Hunt

Field Notes

February 29, 2012

CA Game Commission Pres. Refuses to Resign Over Lion Hunt

By Chad Love

California Game and Fish Commission President Dan Richards, who is being pressured to resign for going on a perfectly legal Idaho mountain lion hunt says he won't step down.

From this story on mercurynews.com:

The embattled president of California's Fish and Game Commission pushed back at his critics Tuesday, telling them he did nothing wrong by killing a mountain lion on a big game hunt in Idaho. And he vowed not to resign."While I respect our Fish and Game rules and regulations, my 100 percent legal activity outside of California, or anyone else's for that matter, is none of your business," Dan Richards wrote in a letter to state lawmakers calling for his ouster. Richards also wrote that "contrary to so many erroneous reports," he didn't use a high-powered rifle and "we did dine on Mountain Lion for dinner" that night.

In recent days, 40 Democratic Assembly members and Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom have sent letters asking Richards to resign. They've accused him of thumbing his nose at California voters who have banned mountain lion hunting twice at the ballot box, in 1990 and 1996.

If Richards, a Republican appointed to the commission by former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, doesn't quit he could be removed by the Legislature by a simple majority vote, which could tip the balance of the powerful commission away from hunting interests to environmental interests. At the end of his letter to Assemblyman Ben Hueso, D-San Diego, who has organized the campaign against him, Richards wrote: "There is ZERO chance I would resign my position."

We all wish him well, but unfortunately there's also zero chance of the forces aligned against him just giving up. Here's hoping hope this galvanizes Golden State hunters into action...

from Krebsquad wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

As a transplanted resident of (and hunter in) California, this story disgusts me! I truly hope Commission President Richards continues to fight this ridiculous fight. This state is billions of dollars in debt. My children will likely need to move to another state in order to be able to afford college. And yet, our legislature has time to argue over stuff like this. I cannot wait for the day I can afford to retire so I can take my guns and my wife back to the Mid-West where I belong!

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Why is he being asked to resign over a legal hunt in another state? I really don't understand does it really matter if he used a high powered rifle or not?

from MJC wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Is there any meaningless phrase more overused by the media than 'high-powered rifle'?

from Big Country wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

MJC,
Yes there is. "Assault rifle" and "AK 47" come to mind.
And as to the Game commission pres, GOOD! There is ZERO reason for him to resign over this. All this is just another example of why California is going bankrupt.

from COtroutBum wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

while choosing to publish this photo showed a poor decision on his part the truth is he shouldn't be asked to resign over it. i guess California just wants people to spend money hunting and fishing in other states

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Politics.

from larson014 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

keep up the fight Mr Richards, i feel bad for all hunters who have to live and hunt in California...

from Mibasshunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

It would be ridiculous if he gets voted out. It always has to be California.

from dtbc333 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

This is absolutely ridiculous. The man went on a legal hunt in another state and the people in California seem to be reacting to it as if he were out shooting California Condors or something. I'm not a republican, but not all issues follow party lines, and this is one case where I am in full support of Mr. Richards' position. He did absolutely nothing wrong and a legal hunt in another state certainly should not be grounds for him to lose his position. His comment of, "While I respect our Fish and Game rules and regulations, my 100 percent legal activity outside of California, or anyone else's for that matter, is none of your business,"
couldn't be more spot on.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

It never ceases to depress me that "environmental interests" and "hunting interests" seem to always be at odds. I understand those interests often originate from very different segments of our population, but really we want similar things - because if the environment gets destroyed, we won't have anything to hunt. However, the extreme viewpoints always get the most press because they yell the loudest. It's absolutely idiotic for these lawmakers to be calling for the Commission President to step down. But I guarantee you it plays GREAT back in their jurisdiction. It's so dumb and sadly so unsurprising to see this happen...

from jdwood wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Good for him, he couldn't say it any better than he did,"my 100 percent legal activity outside of California, or anyone else's for that matter, is none of your business." He is right, a legal hunt in another state where he followed all the rules and regulations is of no relation to the current regulations in place in California. The majority of Californians need to get there head out of their a** and figure out what really matters.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Sounds like a lot of people in California need to get a life.
Mr.Richards is welcome in New Mexico we have lots of cougars.

from 268bull wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Why should he resign!The law that prohibits lion hunting in California wasn't something that he, himself, wrote and imposed upon the state.He's abiding by his states laws, but nothing, nor anyone, should threaten him with his job for simply hunting in another state, a sport he obviously enjoys. Thumbs up Mr. Richards

from Bernie wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Richards certainly should not resign, as he did nothing illegal. This is just another anti-hunting ploy by left-wing Democrats.

from Steward wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I'm glad he's sticking it out...I hope he survives his opponents, who apparently have no respect for law or liberty.

from dbramley wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

There should't even be a fight this guy is on a legal hunt. I get it if he is out hunting in California illegally he should face the punishment, but come on he went on a hunt in anouther state. What if he paid and went to Africa whats the difference. Sounds like a bunch of people just wanting to start some crap cause they need drama in their sad lives.

from brunsk42 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

And people wonder why buisnesses and people are leaving the state in droves,, They should go after illegal aliens with as much agressivenice, they are the ones that broke the law, not Mr Richards...

from JohnR wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

This is another example of political correctness at its very worst. The Kalifornia Democrats need to get a life!
Additionally someone must have talked because remember what happens in Idaho, stays in Idaho :-).

from Mare Arthur-Reasons wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I know this was not illegal, just like it is not illegal for me to continue to call his office for this next question. What is it about man looking down the barrel of a gun, and saying I am going to kill you? Did he eat the meat? Or is this a trophy for his wall? What is the thrill of taking another creatures life, I just do not understand that, being a peaceful, non viloent person.

from Krebsquad wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from jdwood wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from MJC wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from Big Country wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

MJC,
Yes there is. "Assault rifle" and "AK 47" come to mind.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Politics.

from larson014 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from dtbc333 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

couldn't be more spot on.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from Mibasshunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

It would be ridiculous if he gets voted out. It always has to be California.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Sounds like a lot of people in California need to get a life.
Mr.Richards is welcome in New Mexico we have lots of cougars.

from 268bull wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago