KN Officials Working on Senior Hunting, Fishing License Compromise

Field Notes

March 05, 2012

KN Officials Working on Senior Hunting, Fishing License Compromise

By Chad Love

You may recall a blog post earlier this year about a Kansas proposal to eliminate hunting and fishing license exemptions for seniors. Most of you didn’t much care for the idea. Now it appears the state is working on a compromise.

From this story in ksallink.com:

A compromise may be in the works on a plan to start making older Kansans pay for hunting and fishing licenses. The annual licenses cost $20.50 each. Kansas adopted a license exemption for people 70 and older in 1937, then dropped the age to 65 in 1971. Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Secretary Robin Jennison says the exemption will cost his department more than $1 million in the coming years as the population ages.

He has proposed ending the exemption - an idea that lawmakers say is highly unpopular. But at a Senate committee hearing last week, Jennison said he's open to alternatives, such as raising the age for free passes to 75 or creating a half-price license for senior citizens. Repealing the exemptions requires legislative action.

Do you think this might be a little more politically palatable, or is it more of a principle thing?

from CL3 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I can see the concern about the aging population, but at the same time, I'd be worried if the success of the state game commission relies on license sales only. They need to be diversified.

Paradoxically, the people who are best able to pay for license and such are older, so why would they get them for free?

How about we suggest to the old folks that their license fee is optional and see how many we get? I bet there are some generous old geezers out there...

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Last year WV passed a law requiring a Senior Citizen Lifetime Hunting and Fishing license for persons over 65. Anyone turning 65 before Jan 1, 2012 was exempt from buying the license. I was exempt from buying the license but the license was only $25.00 and I bought it anyway because WV will get approx $4.50 back from the Feds through Pittman/Roberson funds every year till I die from my license. I thought that was the least I could do to help the WV Division of Natural Resources and ultimately the wildlife.

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

So let me try and reword this so that my simple mind can grasp it. The generation that is largely responsible for encouraging most of the hunters afield today, are going to have to pick up our slack because we can't draw the younger crowd into the woods with us? I say maybe we should set down our day planners, stop taking phone calls and take a youngster, or a newbie for that matter into the brush. Just my opinion, but I'd rather pay the difference than see our mentors punished for our faults.

from Mibasshunter wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I knew our nation was in need of money but taking it from our elders. If anything the most it should be raised is a %75 off the regular license.

from CL3 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Pray-hunt-work makes a good point; Should we give free licenses to our youth instead? At least for some time period in order to foster that growth. Maybe youth and Adult Mentor licenses along with the senior licenses are free, but the adults in the middle get to pay more... $30-$40 a year. I mean come on, is it really that much considering how much is spent on gear?!

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks CL3 that's an even better twist, here in Maine jr. Licenses are free and they also promote a jr hunt day the previous Saturday to opening rifle season. I'm 25 yrs old with no children, and if I can't take a youngster with me, then I'm not much of a citizen or outdoorsman.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

In WV anyone under the age of 15 is not required to buy a hunting or fishing license and then between 15 and 18 they get a reduced Junior hunting and fishing license and they have special turkey hunting , squirrel hunting and deer hunting days before anyone else. I think that is enough incentive for them to get into the sport. The problem with youth isn't the license but someone to take them because alot of the time they come from a one parent household and that one parent is the mother. Another thing is they have many other things to do that takes their time.

from Keith Hastedt wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Kansas is "KS" not, "KN"!

from Kris24 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Come on Chad...KN should be KS.

from Kris24 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Sorry....didnt see Keith Hastedt's post until I hit refresh.

from Kevin Larkin wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Last time I looked at license regulations, KS youth need not buy a license until 16 years of age. then it is the standard 20.50 until the "senior" rules, those that are up for review, apply. I have had a KS lifetime hunt and fish license since age 16, so I don't really keep up with current licensing prices. As a KS resident outdoorsman, I agree with pray-hunt-work in that all of us must take time away from our busy schedules and introduce someone new to the outdoors we all know, love, and cherish so much. Teaching others, including youngsters, to respect and care for the lands and waters we enjoy so much MUST be a top priority for all of us.

from dmbezzell wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

DEJA VU with the KN again! I'm pretty sure we already addressed this in the past few months...

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Mibasshunter wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Keith Hastedt wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Kansas is "KS" not, "KN"!

from Kris24 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Come on Chad...KN should be KS.

from CL3 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Kris24 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Sorry....didnt see Keith Hastedt's post until I hit refresh.

from Kevin Larkin wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago