Michigan Anglers Could Soon be Fishing with Crossbows if Bill Passes

Field Notes

March 23, 2012

Michigan Anglers Could Soon be Fishing with Crossbows if Bill Passes

By Chad Love

Michigan bowfishermen may soon be able to use a crossbow, if a bill moving its way through the legislative process becomes law.

From this story on mlive.com:

Michigan anglers would be allowed to fish with crossbows under a bill passed by the Senate Wednesday morning. The measure, introduced by Sen. Darwin Booher, R-Evart, passed with a vote of 34 to 4. It now moves on to the House for consideration. Michigan already allows the use of a spear or bow and arrow to fish in certain waters during certain times of the year. Senate Bill 897 would authorize the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to regulate crossbow fishing as well. Senate Democrats Bert Johnson, Virgil Smith, Rebekah Warren and Coleman Young Jr. voted against the bill.

The Bowfishing Association of Michigan officially took a neutral stance on the bill, but expressed some safety concerns. A cocked and loaded crossbow could pose safety risks on a moving boat, said Steve Winters, group president. Winters acknowledged that the bill gives certain people an opportunity to fish when they otherwise might not have been able to, such as people with physical impairments. "If it would allow them to get out and enjoy the sport, then absolutely, we're all on board for that," he said. The bowfishing group is excited for new bow and spear fishing regulations to take effect on April 1.

Thoughts? Would you bowfish with a crossbow, given the chance?

from Equack wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I think bow fishing with a cross-bow should be held with the same restrictions as deer hunting with a cross-bow. I don't know what it is out of Wisconsin, but in Wisconsin you have to be 65 years of age, or have a doctors permit(results of a phisycical disability). As for me I personally would never, at my age (16)at least, bow fish with a cross-bow. It takes to much of the fun from the sport in my mind.

from jusdane wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Outside of people with physical impairments why would anyone ever want to bowfish with a crossbow? The most fun I've ever had with a fishing license was bowfishing carp in my canoe with my brother-in-law, and can't imagine using anything but my old Bear recurve bow with a homemade rig. A crossbow wouldn't be nearly as maneuverable and needless to say excessive force.

from rcmich wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I'm more excited (thankful?) that Michigan has simplified bowfishing season to be open year round for 2012 instead of the hodgepod of seasons they used to have. I would also like to meet whoever it is in Michigan that takes advantage of bowfishing smelt - which is legal and noted in the fishing rules. I just can't wrap my mind around how you would go about that. Smelt are about the size a decent pike minnow.

from plinkster wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I think it could be fun but what ever happened to sitting on the dock or in the boat with a rod and reel waiting for a snag catching some rays?

from Equack wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago