Two Deer Chase Down Terrified City Slickers in Manhattan

Field Notes

March 27, 2012

Two Deer Chase Down Terrified City Slickers in Manhattan

By Chad Love

What do you call a deer on the loose in New York City: a Brooklyn Bambi, a Bronx buck, a masticating Manhattanite or maybe an Upper West Side ungulate?

From this story in the New York Post:

Yo, Bambi, welcome to New York! Two wayward deer bounded through an upper Manhattan housing project yesterday, romping across its courtyards and stunning its residents. “I’ve never seen anything like it,” said Marcus Bryant, 20, a ConEd worker who lives in the projects. The panicked animals even chased onlookers at the Marble Hill houses, at West 225th Street and Broadway.

Although part of Manhattan, the area sits just across the Spuyten Duyvil Creek from the rest of the borough. Cops shot one of the deer with a tranquilizer and moved it to Van Cortlandt Park. The other remained on the lam.

Seriously -- a deer chased onlookers? What is it with New York already? Does the NYC attitude infect absolutely everything? You take a couple sweet, innocent little forest creatures, drop them in the middle of New York City and five minutes later -- they're like "you lookin' at me?" and going all "Taxi Driver" on everyone in sight. Man, seems like a nice place to visit, but I sure wouldn't want to live there.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Best natural way to control ungulates is wolves, just ask any keyboard conservationist in the Big Apple. Controversial Governor Butch Otter (Idaho?) offered to send them some, might be a good time to crate them up.

from Proverbs wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

In both photos the left rear leg looks bloodied. I don't think that's from the tranquilzer gun.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I agree with Rock Rat--USFS better relocate 2 packs of Idaho wolves to Manhattan to help control the situation, after all the roamed there once freely too!

from larson014 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

"“I’ve never seen anything like it,” said Marcus Bryant, 20, a ConEd worker who lives in the projects."

that doesn't surprise me..

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

True story; Was in Calif on business about 20 years ago, Decided one day that I had to see Yosemite. So I saddled up and drove over. In the field under El Capitan, if I remember right, it was 20 years ago, there was a doe and a fawn happily munching grass obvious to all the people surrounding the field.

Pretty simple stuff right? The people surrounding the field were taking wildlife pictures of a pretty common site to most of us; but they were doing it with cameras that cost more than my car (at the time). Think about it. The industrialization and environmental hazards to produce those expensive cameras and the rest of that lifestyle, that mandated a vacation in what passes for the wild was created by destroying or abusing the very nature that they were trying to capture with a picture. I stopped, not to watch the deer but watch the people watching the deer. All I could think of was that old 60 song "They paved paradise and put in a parking lot".

from fezzant wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I have seen New Yorkers go well out of their way to avoid walking through a puddle 1/8 of an inch deep, and one woman who saw a horse at the Bronx Zoo and exclaimed "Oooh! Look at the camel! It's Beautiful!" In all likelihood, nobody got chased, the deer probably just took two steps towards them.

from Josh Craver wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

That's pretty twisted. I'm not sure that most people realize most of new York is farmland and mountains with the exception of the city.

from JakeT_little.Racks wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

New Yorkers are sad little girls

from Michael A. Cramer wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Hey Jake T and Rock Rat: Love living here in New York City! Best place on Earth! And I usually fill my doe tag if nothing else (admittedly an hour north of town). :-D

from xiaode11 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Take good care of the little deer, and agree to the above ideas

from JakeT_little.Racks wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

New Yorkers are sad little girls

from Proverbs wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from larson014 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

that doesn't surprise me..

from fezzant wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago