Wild Turkeys Invade Michigan Liquor Store

Field Notes

March 02, 2012

Wild Turkeys Invade Michigan Liquor Store

By Chad Love

Forget the Wild Turkey sitting on the shelf. In this Michigan town it's the wild turkey outside the liquor store that you need to watch out for.

From this story on mlive.com:

Dan Meyer, an employee at Cork 'N' Ale, 2940 Midland Road in Saginaw Township, said the rafter of turkeys on Tuesday were making their second appearance outside the beer, wine and spirit store.

"I think it is the exact same group," Meyer said. Because the store sits opposite the Tittabawassee River, Meyer and his fellow coworkers believe the turkeys are roosting somewhere by the water or in nearby woods. Barry Sova, a DNR wildlife technician assigned to Saginaw, Bay, Midland and Isabella counties, said the turkey population in the state is growing and this is the time of year turkeys, especially young toms, can become aggressive.

"It's actually getting to be a more common problem," Sova said. "At this time of year, they are getting ready to mate so they are getting a little more aggressive." Sova said people who encounter wild turkeys should stand their ground and can swat at the turkeys with their arms or legs, but should avoid grabbing the turkeys. But whatever you do, don't run from the turkeys. They can do some damage," Sova said.

Though Meyer has worked at Cork 'N' Ale for five years, Meyer said he's never experienced any wildlife sightings like he has since the turkeys started coming around. "So far, they've just been a novelty but if they become a nuisance we will have to call somebody," Meyer said. "They were chasing one of our drivers around." Though he says he's not a hunter, Meyer said he might make an exception. "I might take it (hunting) up if they are going to get that close," he said. Lucky for the customers at Cork 'N' Ale, Sova said the birds will leave the area on their own. "Nothing wants to be pestered all the time," he said.

from Mibasshunter wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Now if only I get some big toms to come that close in a month. Then it's dinner on the table.

from Mibasshunter wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

It would have been a lot more weird if Captain Morgan had walked into the store. ;)

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

On one of my trips from WV to Alabama to deer hunt about 7 years ago I stopped to get gas on the Gerogia/Alabama line on I 85. While I was fueling up I kept seeing people looking beside the station. Before I finished 23 turkeys walked around the station and started picking at the mulch that was around the shrubs beside the station probably about 25 feet away. The locals said the turkeys were seen frequently around that area.

from coldweather123 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago