Will Wisconsin Be the Next State to Institute a Wolf Season?

Field Notes

March 06, 2012

Will Wisconsin Be the Next State to Institute a Wolf Season?

By Chad Love

Will Wisconsin become the next state to offer a hunting season on wolves? It's starting to look that way.

From this story on wisconsinagconnection.com:

An effort to legalize wolf hunting in Wisconsin is another step closer to becoming reality. Last week, the Senate Environmental Committee approved a bill that would create a wolf hunt during certain times of the year. The panel held a public hearing on the issue last Tuesday to get people's thoughts on a proposal that would create a hunting-and-trapping season for wolves from mid-October through late-February.

The measure would require the Department of Natural Resources to issue licenses for both the hunting and trapping of wolves. Both in-state and out of state residents would be allowed to participate in the hunt. Supporters of the move say the DNR would limit the number of licenses issued and the number of wolves to be harvested within four wolf harvesting zones. The proposal also specifies that certain firearms may be used for hunting wolves, as well as bows and arrows and crossbows.

Hunters would be allowed to use bait and dogs and could hunt at night, as part of the current proposal. In December, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service removed protections for wolves in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota because their population levels have been restored to adequate levels. The same week, Governor Scott Walker ordered the DNR to begin implementing a wolf management plan to spell out the do's-and-don'ts of hunting problem wolves. The bill now goes to the full Senate for consideration.

Wisconsin hunters, how many of you will participate if the bill becomes law?

from Meerpj26 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

As long as they do it right im all for it!

from wischneider wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I would definitely go for a wolf tag before I would apply for a bear tag, but I have no idea how to go after them... Probably would have to go out on public land, which always sucks.

I think hunting wolves with dogs would get complicated...

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Wouldn't doubt it. There are healthy populations in the Nicolet National Forest.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

a friend of mine got one in a trap near the nicolet national forest I saw the pictures, pretty cool. I think it could prove incredibly hard to hunt wolves in the state most sightings in the woods are during deer season when the pressure on the woods is highest. I've only ever seen one and I according to DNR web sight am in an area with a larger density than most. Would like to hear more info on hunting them with dogs, because 3 or 4 years ago a group of bear dogs were killed by wolves about 20 miles from my house. Im also curious on how they will run the season will there be a quota to make or will it be tag drawings.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Can't wait for Michigan to open season on em, haven't been to my cabin in the U.P. for 4 years because of all the wolves--looking for a little payback--that and a full wolf mount would look pretty sweet in the man cave!!!

from JakeT_little.Racks wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Not this guy, Im gonna stick to coyotes...hate those bastards

from neuman23 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I would definitely give it a go if the bill were to pass. I just don't like that they are thinking of shortening the coyote season because of a wolf season.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I’d like to give it a whirl. From what I’ve heard they are a formidable adversary and quite a challenge to actually harvest one. I would like to see this happen though. Either way some form of management needs to be in place.

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Well if one is allowed to bait, then use Coyotes for bait. I;ll have to wait because here in WA. state we only have maybe 10-20 in the state as far as we know, their being watched and counted each year. The time will come.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from F150Green wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I hunt in Crivitz, WI and although I have yet to see a wolf while hunting, between the coyotes and wolves you can hear them just about every night.

I would participate.

from Brittle wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I would. I hunt in Dunn county and i've seen and heard about wolves coming in which is scary to think about, as they shouldn't be this far south.

from Logan88 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I already bought a new 25-06 just for that purpose. My girlfriend asked why I needed another one and I replied "when I finally get a wolf tag, I would hate to have to shoot it with my deer rifle."

from bounty1 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

YES, YES, YES, and then sandhill cranes!!!

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

f150- im from crivitz and the picture of the wolf in the trap came from off of parkway rd near goodman park, you may recall the bear dogs that were killed there a few years ago by wolves. I have seen one having lived there for a majority of the last 6 years. (im a jr in college in green bay) and I really think unless, they open the tags up and wait for a quota to be met much like the sturgeon spearing, they will put few if any wolves on the ground in the state. They are incredibly smart and hard to spot even for the people doing estimates on the population right now.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from F150Green wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I would participate.

from wischneider wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I think hunting wolves with dogs would get complicated...

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from JakeT_little.Racks wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Not this guy, Im gonna stick to coyotes...hate those bastards

from Meerpj26 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

As long as they do it right im all for it!

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from neuman23 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Brittle wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Logan88 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

YES, YES, YES, and then sandhill cranes!!!

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago