18-Year-Old Catches 31 lb-8.4 oz CO State-Record Striper

Field Notes

April 23, 2012

18-Year-Old Catches 31 lb-8.4 oz CO State-Record Striper

By Chad Love

Is there a youth movement in state-record striped bass this year? First it was a teen in North Carolina and now word that another big striper has been caught by a peachfuzzer, this time in Colorado.

From this story in the Denver Post:

A Longmont High School junior caught what appears to be a state-record-breaking striped bass at McIntosh Lake on Friday evening. He reeled in a fish that tipped the scales at 31 pounds, 8.4 ounces when weighed as a Colorado Parks and Wildlife officer looked on. "I just got lucky," 18-year-old Isaac Sprecher said. The bass measured 41 inches long and 26 inches in diameter.

According to the story, the fish is twice as big as Colorado's previous record striper, a 15 lb., 11 oz. fish caught in 2009. Congratulations to Sprecher on his awesome catch, and I'm sure no one over the age of, say, 40, is jealous in any way. At all. Not a bit. No, sir. Just happy to be here, reading about so many fresh-faced cherubs catching fish of a lifetime, while I keep beating the water to a froth as my hair turns gray, my eyes grow rheumy and my limbs curl into useless, arthritic lumps that couldn't handle the tug of a record-sized fish even if I did hook one. But I'm not bitter.

from jamesti wrote 1 year 52 weeks ago

wow i've fished that lake many times and never knew there were stripers there! guess that says something about my striper success on that lake. good to see my former town on the blog, though.

from SPANman23 wrote 1 year 52 weeks ago

I grew up right by that lake, have been fishing it since it has been open to the public. The DOW doesn't stock it and I have been told its because that max depth is 12 feet and literally lacks any spawning cover...the fish that are in there are leftover from when it was privately owned and stocked...I have caught multiple walleye over 20 inches, but there are hardly any fish in there, and can only be caught in a small area of the lake. I can imagine there is going to be some very disappointed people making a trip to fish that lake. The fish that are in there do tend to be rather large as they haven't had much fishing pressure for quite awhile...but this still blows my mind. If people knew this lake you would understand the insanity of this...imagine a lake that you can almost walk all the way across besides maybe a 300 by 300 yard area with one 12 foot pool.

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Please excuse my ignorance. What is if any, the differences between a sea-run striper vs. a lake bound striper? In pictures they seem similar. Are fishing tactics the same? Fish sizes, regulations? Or are they some type or hybrid sea-run that is now classified as a whole different species?

from jamesti wrote 1 year 52 weeks ago