Nugent Pleads Guilty to Illegally Killing Alaskan Black Bear

Field Notes

April 24, 2012

Nugent Pleads Guilty to Illegally Killing Alaskan Black Bear

by Chad Love

Note to self: when you're a controversial, high-profile, globe-trotting television celebrity hunter who's already been busted once for an out-of-state hunting violation, you might want to read the fine print in those hunting regulations.

From this story on CNN:

Rocker and avid hunter Ted Nugent has agreed to pay a fine, serve probation and record a public service announcement as part of a deal to plead guilty to transporting an illegally killed black bear in Alaska, according to court documents. The plea deal, filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Anchorage, Alaska, stems from federal allegations that arose during a bear hunt in May 2009 that was filmed for Nugent's television show, "Spirit of the Wild," on the Outdoor Channel... In the plea agreement, Nugent admitted to shooting and killing a bear using a bow and arrow during a hunt on Sukkwan Island in southeast Alaska, just days after he wounded another bear.

Alaska limits licensed hunters to the bagging of one bear per hunting season. Under the law, the wounding of a bear counts toward the season's bag limit. "Nugent failed to locate and harvest the wounded bear," the plea agreement said. Where the federal charge against Nugent -- a misdemeanor count of violating the Lacey Act -- comes in to play, according to court documents, is that he left the island by boat with the dead bear and "knew or should have known, in the exercise of due care, that the black bear was taken, possessed or transported in violation of a law or regulation of the United States."

According to the story, Nugent will pay a $10,000 fine, be placed on two years of probation and will not be able to hunt or fish in Alaska or on US Forest Service land for a year. In addition, Nugent has agreed to film an apparently un-ironic public service announcement on the importance of knowing your hunting regulations.

from jakenbake wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Money talks... I'm sick of this guy.

from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

oh hell somebodys done broke another huntin law! how many of us havent? no matter how minor or how serious. i sure as hell love to be his probie officer haha

-19 Good Comment? | | Report
from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

oh yea, and if you think you havent ever broken the law, then think twice about that time you were drivin drunk shinin fields for deer just to see what was there. case in point.

-22 Good Comment? | | Report
from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I don't know any facts other than what I just read, but it seems a bit over zealous to me? I know that every year there are a multitude of un-recovered animals. Some for people not putting forth the effort required and some because of ignorance. I would like to know if Mr. Nugent put forth a reasonable recovery effort? i.e. put 100% of his abilities into recovering the wounded animal. It doesn't say how or where it was wounded. Did it just "clip" the animal, or what? Sounds like he might not have put in the required recovery effort? would like a little more info before I pass any judgment on the matter.

from bberg7794 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Thank you Alaska for being part of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact, along with Ted's home states of Michigan and Texas. Looks like he won't be getting a hunting license in his home state for the upcoming season.

More disturbing were his comments at the NRA convention in St. Louis. I wonder if the secret service has paid him a visit yet? We, as Americans and sportsmen, need free speech but the free speech that Ted chose to use at the convention is the type that we, as Americans and firearm owners, do not need. His statements could do a lot of damage to hunting and legal firearm ownership in this country.

from Pig Pen wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Uncle Ted already got everything settled with the Secret Service. He never meant it to be a threat.

He's learning the hard way about crossing those t's and dotting the i's with hunting regulations. I understand where his rule breaking creates more of an uproar because his offense goes (if proven or actually happened) against the common hunting ethic of recovery.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I agree that he should have known better on the rules.

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

thedraketaker,
It was guys like you that I devoted my career to. You seem to think that violating game laws are no big deal. That is the mind set that I have been trying to get out of the heads of all of my young hunter education students for over 40 years. In todays world we need to have the highest degree of hunter ethics that we can have because people are watching our every move. Nugent being a public figure projects a bad image as many times as he has violated the game laws , been arrested, and convicted. I'm sure the Alaska officials did their homework. If he wasn't guilty I'm sure he wouldn't have pled guilty because he has the resources to fight it. It looks like he would get his ducks in a row before long. He thinks he can just do as he wants to.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I don't know how any one can take Nugent seriously anymore as a spokesman for hunting and shooting. He has made too many mistakes, if that's what they were.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I wish every state would adopt the same law for Bow Hunters. If you wound an animal, you eat your tag. It would have many thinking twice before taking 60 yard shots.

I read in another article the errant shot cut hair and left very little blood. I guess by Alaska's definition, the bear is considered killed.

from bberg7794 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Well said, Sarge01! +1

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

How many wildlife laws does a "celebrity" hunter have to break before he is no longer invited to speak for hunters by the NRA? Ted Nugent does not speak for me or any true sportsman I know. The NRA should kick him off their board of directors and never give him a microphone again.

from dtownley wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I hard timed SARGE twice about this clown, the line has been crossed and maybe in a multitude of states.
My apologies Sarge 1 and a +1
Texans would not appreciate a habitual criminal let alone a game law violator. I may have to read game regulations 10 or 15 times before I start a season but I da-ned sure read'em I tell the folks I hunt with they are on their own when they load up and they know what I mean. I may not be the only one, but if I miss a big game animal I kick myself out of the woods(for the day).

from R.U. Effingme wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Nugent needs to sit down and shut the hell up for several years...I'm with sargeo1 on this. Nugent has enough field experience (or claims to have) to KNOW that he needs to read the fine print. He should know to familiarize himself with the game laws where he's hunting. Nugent is high profile and must work to set the example instead of taking advantage of his so-called fame and ignoring common sense.

Thanks, Ted...now, go away quietly.

from CCMJS wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Yeah Right! You guys talk a good game but I'm betting most of you wouldn't cut up a tag if you missed an animal.

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Please Ted, just Go Away! just please Go Away! Spirit of the Wild?? Don't think thats what you'll find inside one of your high fence zoos. Just Go Away, if you really want to help hunters, just Go Away! Fred Bear is sharpening a broadhead with your name on it, for the big hunt! Fred you go up on that ridge, I'll go down in the swamp and beat on the fence, we'll get that buck. Loser!

from Redford wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

It sounds like the Feds got him in a Stranglehold, baby.

from huntenthusiest wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

At one of Ted's concerts here in T-town, he was shooting a flaming arrow at a guitar just a few paces away and missed it clean. The fact that he couldn't put an arrow in the vitals of a target the size of a black bear is no surprise.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

The man does not live in reality.

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I would say the only thing Mr. Nugent is guilty of is being a talking head with absolutely no moral compass. He panders [that's PC for pimping] to what ever group that will financially support him. Avoid the draft-salute a veteran. Pro hunting- willfully break the law. With most criminals the word that best describes is habitual. Everyone may have made a mistake or fudged the law to their benefit. Was that Striped Bass 31&3/4 or 32 inches. Uncle Ted will always have his FOLLOWERS. But then Snookie got $2000 more than a Nobel prize winner to speak at Rutgers. Darrel Strawberry could indulge his vices as long as he said he was sorry and could still hit the ball. A young privilege girl can make a po*rn tape flash her hot pocket getting out of a car and have a huge teen following. Seems like Uncle Ted is a very sad immoral sign of the times. The sooner he fades the better.

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

PS If you like conspiracy theories. The Anti's will probably pay his way, God knows he gives them enough fodder.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Can you spell "hypocrite"?

Noun - a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs. - Dictionary.com

from mapdesigns wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Nugent gives all hunters & gun owners a bad name. He needs to go away.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Oh, and Nuge, it sure must be nice to live every aspect of your life with some sort of sponsorship (and free gear and stuff). Do you have a sponsor for toilet paper too?!

from Fat guy Aaron wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Ted Nugent has stood up for our rights his whole life....'Nuff said.

from beagle wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

This man should be dumped by the NRA. I being a life member of the NRA take his representation as a slap in the face. His actions and rageing mouth are hurting the hunting and gun owners in this country worse than any anti's could have hoped to do. And now the moron say's that he obey's game laws. What a joke he is.

Beagle

from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

oh yea...and i bet if the nuge was sittin in front of you, you would be sayin, "now mr. ted...you know you really shouldnta been doin that, so ima have to cite you" na youda been like "NUGE! whats up brother...can i have your autograph!" keep on preachin brother.

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

You are too easy! Work on your punctuation and spelling and we will go from there

from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

ooooooo...nice come back..."work on your spellin" your the easy one my friend.

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I would love to banter with you but I have to get dressed for a funeral. I used to buy him ice cream when he was a youngster. He was third generation organized crime. Younger than me older than you. He spent 1/3 of his life locked up. Himself, his aunt and his dad made page 3 of the Daily news more than once. He missed 10 years of his daughters life. Likable kid wrong heroes, wrong choices. If you think this is BS it's not. If you need further proof google our local cemetery Saint John's Cemetery Queens/ the mob. You will also find legitimate people there mine and my wife's parents/grand parents. So teddy the outlaw does not impress.

from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

sorry about your loss Carl....i see you do have a heart, and see the wrong in other peoples doings. glad to know that.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Not my loss. Just another poor kid with no choice and the wrong role models. Be more concerned for yourself. If your just bored and want to punk some guys. That's one thing. If you want to play hard and soft you should practice more. If you actually believe what your saying; your on the wrong road. My wife is ready. If you ever find a girl dumber than you. You will see they take longer to get ready. Bye Bye!

from sadie777u wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Ted, walk away, you are killing us.

from dtownley wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Carl, bless you, Daffys demons summon him, and he did find one and now has chicks of his own. Sarge he may be right but when he's positive he has been wrong he might have grown. I don't know him but I've known many like him and hope this one finds out how lonely it can be out there, being right by yourself. I even miss some of them fellas as I am sure their family does.

from Cory wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Ted Nugent is a imbecel and he is a diservice to gun owners everywhere with his stupid retoric. I can't understand why this site and others pander to his brand of idiocy. He is a poacher plain and simple. Anyone that thinks he is anything more than that is probably inbred four generations.

from Teusink_MI_Hunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Ted Nugent is hurting the hunting community? And what are you people doing? Ted is less of a threat to the hunting community than any of you. Arguing about things that do not matter. How are we supposed to convice anti-hunters when we are fueding amongst eachother?

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from intimadator5 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I am not the brightest nut in the woods but was Ted hunting with a professional guide that is also bound by law to know the laws in the states that they guide. If this is not a law then for the sake of the wildlife and to better inform their clients of the regional laws so that mistakes like this do not happen.

from intimadator5 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Ducktadder it is never to late to have a happy childhood. Have Mommy bake you some cookies. Play catch with someone who won't laugh when you call him Daddy. But above all control your water. That's what big boys do.

from JettPack wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Nugent = counterproductive

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

At first, I was very disappointed in Crazy Teddy like most of you. But then I read an interview he gave with Glen Beck (not my favorite guy but...). Here a a few excerpts:

“I stumbled in Alaska. There was a new law — that it‘s very important to note that I wasn’t the only one who had never heard of it,” Nugent explained. “We can’t find anybody that ever heard of this new unprecedented law that if your arrow or bullet shows signs of nicking or touching an animal, that your big game tag is null and void — including the resident judge in the courtroom who’s lived in the only zone where this law exists.”

'Nugent went on to explain that the State of Alaska had no interest in charging him, but that the federal government pursued the charges. Even his attorney, who has been a lifetime hunter in Alaska, had never heard of the regulatory structure. According to Nugent, he’s the first person to ever be charged under this law.'

Sure he broke the law but he admitted it and took his licks. Personally, I'd like to know what kind of effort went into trying to recover the first bear. But learn the facts before you crucify a guy.

DrakeTaker: Grow up.

And will the F&S blog administrator fix your blog posting protocol. I have tried multiple times to include a web link to back up my statements only to have my entire post disappear because your filters see the long string of a URL as an obscenity. Believe me, I have uttered a few after losing those posts to the ethernet. Thank you.

from hertzer2000 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Leave politics out of this. He broke the law and that's that. Can't defend stupidity.

from Captjim wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

With all his faults Ted is the closest thing we got to an "Al Sharpton for rednecks" looking out for us. Sure he's over the top but he has to be to compete for air time against dozens liberals worst than him on tv everyday. Without him who is going to stand up to Maxine Waters, Chris Mathews, Obermouth, Jackson, Sharpton, Van Jones, the whole lame stream media, the list goes on forever. His heart is in the right place cut him some slack. As far as that bear incident goes the Feds were waiting for him to make one little slip so they could pounce on him. The judge in Alaska never heard of that law he was charged with and low and behold it's only a law in the Federal area he was hunting in and only in Alaska. I would put nothing past the Obama Administration. Look at the EPA administrator that just resigned for saying he wanted to make examples out of the oil companies with extreme punishment to keep everyone in line. The only reason he resigned is that he got caught. He will be replaced with someone with the exact same attitude that will keep his mouth shut. Over the weekend I watched the rise and fall of the third Riech and I was amazed at how similar the tactics are that the Obama Administration uses to keep people in line with his agenda. The only difference is the Nazis murdered people to keep them in line, Obama just fines the crap out of you. But the drones are coming to a neighborhood near you and he has already ordered the killing of an american citizen without a trial. Now all that's left is who decides when it's ok.

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Tell us Chad, what wuz the law did he break?

An Alaska law which nobody has been ever charged that requires a hunter to count as a kill if the critter bleeds even if it's a nonfatal hit or just nicks it they must count it towards there bag limit.

Yep, Chad really got up on this one before the truth had a chance to get its boots on again!

from 357 wrote 1 year 47 weeks ago

you gotta know your laws, i read the law and the proclamation of all places that i hunt on every species i'm chasing.

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

thedraketaker,

from bberg7794 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from jakenbake wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Money talks... I'm sick of this guy.

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from bberg7794 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Well said, Sarge01! +1

from Pig Pen wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Hindsight is 20/20, but I agree that he should have known better on the rules.

from mapdesigns wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Nugent gives all hunters & gun owners a bad name. He needs to go away.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Can you spell "hypocrite"?

from R.U. Effingme wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Thanks, Ted...now, go away quietly.

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from beagle wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Beagle

from dtownley wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

My apologies Sarge 1 and a +1

from CCMJS wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from intimadator5 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

DrakeTaker: Grow up.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

The man does not live in reality.

from Captjim wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Redford wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

It sounds like the Feds got him in a Stranglehold, baby.

from huntenthusiest wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from JettPack wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Nugent = counterproductive

from dtownley wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Cory wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Tell us Chad, what wuz the law did he break?

from intimadator5 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from hertzer2000 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from sadie777u wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Ted, walk away, you are killing us.

from Fat guy Aaron wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Ted Nugent has stood up for our rights his whole life....'Nuff said.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from 357 wrote 1 year 47 weeks ago

from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Teusink_MI_Hunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

ooooooo...nice come back..."work on your spellin" your the easy one my friend.

-6 Good Comment? | | Report