Would You Ever Put Your Head in a Polar Bear's Mouth?

Field Notes

April 27, 2012

Would You Ever Put Your Head in a Polar Bear's Mouth?

By Chad Love

OK, a show of hands: How many of you think this guy is eventually going to end up being digested, and how many think this hand-reared polar bear will continue act like it's in a Coke commercial for the rest of its life?

From this story in the UK Sun

Sixty-stone Agee has formed an amazing bond with tamer Mark Dumas after he plucked her from a zoo as a cub to star in films and television ads. The pair are so close they wrestle, kiss, nap and even go swimming with each other. Mark, of Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada, said: “If anyone else tried this they’d end up as Agee’s dinner. “The only people she likes are me and my wife Dawn. “I have worked with bears for 40 years, so I can read Agee’s body language and know how to behave safely.”

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

That's cute & all, but she's still a wild animal. I just hope nobody gets hurt (or eaten) when aggie figures that out, and does what mother nature has programmed her for.

from HogBlog wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I understand the thrill this guy gets, and envy him a little. But I always hate to see these things because they so often end badly for everyone.

"We never saw it coming. She's always been so gentle and loving."

Or

"She was just playing. She didn't mean any harm (when her playful pat decapitated the trainer)."

My cousin raises a bunch of bears that he's taken in from roadside zoos or homes where they can't be cared for anyore... and he's generally great with them. But it only takes one foolish mistake, or even a simple accident.

Of course, as long as these folks don't put anyone else at risk with this behavior, I guess it's their choice.

from fezzant wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Anyone else remember the Grizzly bear guy killed in Alaska who also claimed he could read the bears like this?

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

You can never take all of the wild out of a wild animal no matter how well you think that you know them. One day this guy will be the main course for dinner. Hopefully he wil not put anyone in harm's way.

from s-kfry wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

To quote Forest Gump: "stupid is as stupid does"

from pfettig77 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Who wouldn't put their head in a polar bear's mouth?

from rob wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I'm thinking that feller's wired just a hair different.

from jamesti wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

i just don't trust the wild in wild animals. it's not their fault but a polar bear is not a pet and not something to play around with! one mistake or "accident" and they will destroy the bear, all because he treated it as a pet or a toy! not fair to the animal.

from davycrockettfv wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Anyone want to take a guess as to the correct pronunciation of this guy's last name? I can think of one that sounds appropriately fitting...

from Bernie wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Bald head, pony tail, stupid antics with animals...left-wing liberal, totally opposed to any sort of legal bear hunting. Just my analysis.

from country road wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

He'd better hope he never runs afoul of the ursine equivalent of PMS.

from Mibasshunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I would put my head in a polar bears mouth for a klondike bar.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Perhaps Mama Bear will take this goon out of the gene pool someday....

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

i do not know if the bear really is a "wild animal". obviously polar bears are wild animals but what i mean is this particular bear has all the wild taken out of it. i can almost gurantee if he dropped this bear off in the wild to fend for itself it would die. looks like he got the bear at a very young age, the bear probably associates with humans (at least him) better than bear

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

This video reminds me of a rule of thumb that has kept me alive thus far; Don't play, wrestle, ride, prod, chase, or assume the intentions based on the body posture of a 600lb carnivore with teeth, claws, and paws the size of dinner plates. A perfect example, Roy thought he had tigers figured pretty well too and we know how that turned out.

from Louzianajones wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

Grizzly Adams he is not.

from fezzant wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from s-kfry wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

To quote Forest Gump: "stupid is as stupid does"

from rob wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I'm thinking that feller's wired just a hair different.

from jamesti wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

"We never saw it coming. She's always been so gentle and loving."

Or

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from davycrockettfv wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

from pfettig77 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Who wouldn't put their head in a polar bear's mouth?

from Bernie wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from country road wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

He'd better hope he never runs afoul of the ursine equivalent of PMS.

from Mibasshunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I would put my head in a polar bears mouth for a klondike bar.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Perhaps Mama Bear will take this goon out of the gene pool someday....

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago