Good Stuff: Gear Keeper Rangefinder Holster Lets You Stay on the Move

Whitetail 365

May 10, 2012

Good Stuff: Gear Keeper Rangefinder Holster Lets You Stay on the Move

by Scott Bestul

Like most bowhunters, I consider a laser rangefinder pretty standard gear. Though I do most of my whitetail hunting from tree stands (where most shots are under 30 yards), I still zap the exact distance to the trails, scrapes and openings around my stand.

And of course when I hunt more open territory or any type of ground-pounding situation, a range finder becomes critical. I’ve found my range-estimating capabilities—which I consider pretty good in heavily timbered terrain— simply fall apart in the prairies or mountains.

Still, I never quite know where to stash a rangefinder. When I’m stand hunting I stuff it in my pack, then try to remember to shoot ranges at different reference points at the beginning of each hunt. But things get problematic when I’m on the ground, stalking or still-hunting. Now the situation can become fluid and I may need to know distances in a second or two. I need to be able to reach my rangefinder quickly and quietly, nab a reading and—this is the tricky part for me—stow the thing silently and in a spot where I can access it again.

So this year at the ATA show I perked right up when I saw the Gear Keeper rangefinder holster. This handy little pouch straps to your belt and holds a rangefinder securely and quietly. Even better, the Gear Keeper features a slick, retractable lanyard that attaches to a rangefinder and makes re-holstering the device pretty mindless. Heck, you can—in the heat of the moment—simply drop the rangefinder and the lanyard will prevent you (OK, me -- I’m infamous for dropping stuff in the dirt, never to be found) from losing the thing in the wake of a shot opportunity.

I’ve been playing with the Gear Keeper lately and have been impressed enough to give it a try this fall. How do you manage your rangefinder? Any other good, hunter-friendly products out there for keeping your accessories handy that also prevent loss?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

If their product is as hokey as their website, they won't be around long....

from Grub H0 wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

Is it supposed to be pink?

from laker wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

"Any other good, hunter-friendly products out there for keeping your accessories handy that also prevent loss?"

Call me old fashioned, but I use my coat pockets. They have buttons that close to prevent loss.

from MB915 wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

I wear mine around my neck. Does not get in the way of pulling back my bow, and I wont drop it in the "heat of the moment", plus it cuts down on movement compared to any other option.

from jasonmcaleenan wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

around the neck, shortened the lanyard so that it just comes up to the eye. that way when i lean out for a shot it doesnt swing out farther than necessary and hit my bow/branches etc.

from Kyhillman wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

If it's anything like the Nikon model a deer would hear it a half mile away. Mechanical noises in deer woods? Not good!

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

If you need a rangefinder for bowhunting deer you are probably taking shots you shouldn't be in the first place.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

I have this new invention, called pockets. I know some of the newer super orange, Elvis in Las Vegas show orange jump suits may not have 1; but my old hunting jacket does just fine.

Like my GPS, the range finder is just a toy anyway to distract you while the buck of your life laughs in your general direction.

from finandfur wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

I'm wondering if and how the flap closes on the pouch. I can see there is no velcro, so it must not close that way, maybe it is magnetized? I wouldn't want my rangefinder to fall out..

from 2Poppa wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

I keep my range finder in my cargo pocket, on my right side, with a long leather strip doubled and attached to it, so I can just reach for it without losing sight of the deer.Pure, plain and simple.

from Whackdaddy wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

After trying every attachment device for a rangefinder, the best is made with a boot lace and a carabiner – wear it across your left shoulder to hang under your right arm (for righties). The carabiner lets it slide back into position after you range and drop it at go time.

from laker wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

from jasonmcaleenan wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

from Whackdaddy wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

If their product is as hokey as their website, they won't be around long....

from Grub H0 wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago

Is it supposed to be pink?

from MB915 wrote 1 year 49 weeks ago