Police Siren Rescues Turkey Hunter Lost in NJ Woods

Field Notes

May 31, 2012

Police Siren Rescues Turkey Hunter Lost in NJ Woods

By Chad Love

What's the most effective call for turkey hunting? If you live in New Jersey, it's probably a police siren. A New Jersey turkey hunter who got lost after parking his car and walking into the woods was rescued by the sweet, melodic sound of a state police cruiser...

From this story on nj.com:

On May 14, a hunter was aided by State Police who were called to Snydertown Road at about 10 a.m. after a Hamiltown Township man called 911 from his cell phone to report that he was lost. According to State Police, the man had parked on Snydertown Road then went a mile or two into the woods hunting wild turkey when he got “turned around.” Troopers activated the trooper car’s siren, reached the man via his cell phone and, stayed on the line with him for 45 minutes as he found his way out of the woods by following the sound of the siren.

In deference to all the Field & Stream editors who are proud Garden State natives, I will refrain from making any "that's-just-how-they-do-things-in-Jersey" jokes. I will instead play it straight from the CYA angle and leave it up to you people. Don't let me down...

from CL3 wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

You can actually get lost in New Jersey?!

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

You expect any less from a state that doesn't allow its residents to pump their own gas?

from bassman06 wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Now that's a turkey call from a hog!

from jay wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Does the lost hunter go by the nickname of "The Situation"?

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

I just looked that area up on Google Earth. You literally can't walk more than a mile and a half in ANY DIRECTION without coming to a road. REALLY?! You had to dial 911? Sad.

from -Bob wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Although I live in PA, someone’s gotta speak up for our neighbors to the east.

Southcentral Jersey is home to the Wharton State Forest, a 115,000 acre chunk of wilderness (as well as the Jersey Devil). Is it Wyoming? No. Is it possible to get lost? Oh yeah…

from Silverback wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

OK, I live in NJ. And some people do not belong out in thier backyards, non the less "small" woods. He should have used that cell phone to call one of his idiot friend s before calling the police. Dope, is all I can say.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

And as a Jersey native, I might add to -Bob's point that I'd rather get lost in Wyoming than the South Jersey Pine Barrens. Much safer...

from huntenthusiest wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Many moons ago when I first started deer hunting, decided to take my new TC muzzle loader to an island in the Maumee River since it was frozen. The day was cold and overcast with no wind. Trying my luck at still hunting was fun but fruitless and it was getting late and then realized I too had gotten turned around. The ice was too thick to bust through to see the direction of the flow and no sun to follow nor had I a cell phone. If it hadn't been for the sound of truck traffic on Rt.24 in the far distance I'm not sure what would have happened. After that, there was always a compass or two with me. You don't need to be in the deep back woods for exposure to take it's toll.

from blevenson wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

It's understandable that he got turned around. I've even done it hunting for turkeys in late may on forty acres. The first thing that you have to remember to do is not to panic. If you don't freak out and think about it a little bit you have a much better chance of getting out.

from AKgunguy wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

OK, so this "hunter" get's lost in what I would cetainly feferr to as a backyard, and is miraclulously saved by the sound of a Police siren. hmmmmmmmmmm
I hope this "hunter" never bothers to venture up to the last frontier, where he might really be lost in my backyard.

from jay wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Does the lost hunter go by the nickname of "The Situation"?

from -Bob wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Although I live in PA, someone’s gotta speak up for our neighbors to the east.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

You can actually get lost in New Jersey?!

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

from bassman06 wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Now that's a turkey call from a hog!

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago