Canadian Angler Hooks a Bomb

Field Notes

June 15, 2012

Canadian Angler Hooks a Bomb

By Chad Love

Unlike Joe Cermele, who not only throws around phrases like "dope kicks" but actually knows what hell that means, I'm old, unhip and semantically clueless as to how I should write the lead paragraph for this next story without looking foolish and out-of-touch. Should it be "the fishing was "the" bomb? Or should it be "the fishing was "da" bomb? Hell if I know. You tell me...

From this story on thestarphoenix.com:
It's the kind of fishing tale few people can tell. A man fishing in the Bright Water Reservoir near Hanley (Saskatchewan) on Sunday night hooked something big and discovered after reeling it in that he might have caught a homemade bomb. RCMP were called to the scene around 7:20 p.m. and confirmed the man had caught a bomb of unknown origin.

An RCMP explosives disposal unit safely "neutralized" the bomb at the scene and the investigation continues as officers work to find out how the bomb found its way to the reservoir and who put it there. "It's a little unusual," said spokesperson Cpl. Rob King. "Who knows what this person was doing? We are trying to find out who put it there and why."

from Dave_Maccar wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

I don't know, Chad. Let me call 1998 and get back to you. :)

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

Kaboom; 'eh

from antlers75 wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

sounds like left over from a Red Green goes fishing show.

from bigz24bigbass wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

Only in Canada...

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

This morning, on our way home from a fishing trip in Manitoba we stopped at a gas station in Grand Forks, MN to pick up lunch in a bag to go. I grabbed a "Bomb"* and my fishing partner, a retired professor who owns the fancy new vehicle we were driving, noticed my selection at the check-out. Looking down his nose he said quite dryly "Ummm ... I don't think so!", then mumbled something to the clerk about what aisle could he find mummy wrappings. I made another choice.

*"The Bomb" is a large, super spicey, bean-laden brand name burrito. Kabooom!

from antlers75 wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

sounds like left over from a Red Green goes fishing show.

from Dave_Maccar wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

I don't know, Chad. Let me call 1998 and get back to you. :)

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

Kaboom; 'eh

from bigz24bigbass wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

Only in Canada...

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

*"The Bomb" is a large, super spicey, bean-laden brand name burrito. Kabooom!