OK Angler Wins 'Okie Noodling' Tournament With 70lb Flathead

Field Notes

June 28, 2012

OK Angler Wins 'Okie Noodling' Tournament With 70lb Flathead

By Chad Love

A Claremore, Oklahoma noodler took top honors at this year's famous "Okie Noodling" tournament in Paul's Valley, Oklahoma with the largest flathead ever caught during the tournament's 13-year run.

From this story in the Tulsa World:
Kaleb Summers of Claremore became reigning champion and record holder with the biggest fish ever checked in at the 2012 Okie Noodling Tournament in Pauls Valley last weekend. He and his team wrangled a biggest-ever flathead female that weighed 70.46 pounds.

Summers' fish beats a 68.6-pound fish caught by Jon Bridger of Bartlesville in the 2009 event. That fish was one of a pair of 68-pounders turned in by a team that included now-well known Mudcats television show noodlers Marion Kincaid of Caney, Kan., and Mark Shull of Bartlesville.

That's a big flathead any way you slice it. Anyone ever tried noodling? Or perhaps attend the tournament?

from jbird wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

I want to! I'd really like to try it with someone who knew what they were doing. Can't imagine pulling that hog out of a hole with your bare hand!

from bassman06 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Some of my friends and I did it. I was the only one to catch a cat, the other two got bit by snakes and snappers! It was a blast though. The only thing was, how would I explain a missing finger or needing anti venom to my parents 300 miles away from me?

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

I started this year. It's definately something that should be on everyone's bucket list.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

bassman06... If ya have ta explain it ta your parents, it would probable be better for you to explain it from 300 miles away then from 3 feet away.

from 2011Silverado wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

I was pretty much a slicker from Ardmore, OK, when my new father in law took me noodling down on the South Canadian in 1970. My dad taught me how to bird hunt and fish in Lake Murray but I never noodled or hunted deer, etc. The first time we went I could not imagine how fun and daunting it was at the same time. I still have scars on my hands from our noodling trips and some pretty scary stories from back in the 20s, 30s and 40s before they controlled the Canadian: 20 foot overnight floods; snake bites; beaver bites and scratches; stuff like that. Beavers were more to be feared than all the snakes you cold round up as they would take off your fingers and rip your chest and belly open if you tried to pen them in a hole in the bank. It was quite a big deal to be taken by my father in law. He was the toughest man I ever knew. You are right, redfishhunter, every single one of us should have noodling on our bucket list.

from Joan Herrington... wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Want to become a Noodler? Instructional Course June 1-2, 2013 Claremore, Oklahoma.

A two-day instructional noodling course will be held solely focusing on the safety and techniques for beginning noodlers.

Enrolled students will meet at the headquarters in Claremore at 7:30 a.m. Each four person group will be assigned a professional guide and boat for the week-end. Essential skills will be taught for finding fish, catching fish, discovering nests and breathing control, which are just a few skills to be covered during the course.

Shore lunches wil be served both days and on the final evening a friendly noodling competition between groups will follow with a battle for the team trophy.

Pricing per individual $400.00 Group rate- $350.00 (4 People Minimum) A 50% deposit will be required upon enrollment.

This is the only instructional course offered in Oklahoma...give us a call and sign up soon! Filling up fast! Contact Kaleb Summers 918-760-3307 or visit his website www.stoadventures.net for more information. Also the "Worlds Richest Noodling Tournament"
Coming to Claremore, Oklahoma
June 15, 2013

from Brionandkelly W... wrote 43 weeks 4 days ago

Ok my name is Brion Whitten of Oxford ms host of north ms Grabbling tournament ! We just had our second tournament and our first year we weighed in a new state record of 81.2 lbs and this year our big fish was 72 lbs so if you guys want to see some big fish you should come to our tournament !! You can also check us out at www.msgrabbling.com!! The 2013 vid is also on YouTube under Grabbling in ms!! Thanks!

from jbird wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago