Kim Rhode Wins Gold at Women's Skeet, Makes US Olympic History in London

Field Notes

July 29, 2012

Kim Rhode Wins Gold at Women's Skeet, Makes US Olympic History in London

When Kim Rhode, then 17, stood on the podium at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta with her first gold medal hanging from her neck, she never dreamed 16 years later she would make history in London at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, but that's exactly what happened Sunday morning.

Rhode, 33, set a new Olympic record in qualifying for Women's Skeet with 74 hits out of 75. She went on to match her own world record with a perfect 25 in the final for a total of 99 out of 100, winning the gold.

She is the first U.S. athlete in history to medal in an individual sport at five consecutive Olympic Games.

Before today, Rhode had collected two gold medals in the Double Trap event in 1996 and 2004, a bronze in 2000 and a silver in the Skeet at the Beijing 2008 games, cementing herself as one of the best competitive shotgun shooters in the world. And she's not done yet.

"I do not see myself quitting any time soon," Rhode says on the official Olympics website. "I'm looking forward to 2016 and a few more after that. The oldest Olympic medalist was a shooter and he was 72, so I still have a few more in me."

That means continuing her intense training schedule. Rhode shoots as many as 500 to 1,000 shells a day and has continued a dedicated practice routine for 23 years. She estimates she has fired as many as 2 million shotshells in her life.

China's Ning Wir took the silver in Women's Skeet and Slovakia's Danka Bartekova won bronze after a shoot-off with Russia's Martina Belikova.

Click here for more photos from the event and of Rhode's epic win!

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

I'm one proud American. I salute you, Kim Rhode.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

I always like to know what maker of gun they shoot.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Congratulations Kim Rhode! You make us all proud.

from warrenhapke wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Sayfu,
According to their website (perazzi.it), Kim uses a Perazzi. There was a story some time ago that her medal-winning gun from the earlier Olympics was stolen and that she had to get a new Perazzi for Beijing. The stolen gun was recovered and returned to her.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Thanks Warren, and it appears O/U's dominate. Wonder what the physical reason for that is?

from CL3 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

This is impressive for sure. I watched this with my 2-year old and she was into it. I grabbed her a clay bird so she could she what they were shooting at. Then I hit the range and busted some clays! Get out there!

from Redford wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Kim Rhode made us all proud! May she continue to shine!

I would say O/U's rule the field as (for me at least) they balance and swing better than side by sides or repeaters.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Side by sides are definitely out. I know that, but I think you are right on the swings the thing. The balance is back toward the trigger, and the shorter length given the same barrel length, site/plane must be the slight difference. The autos kick less, less recoil, but maybe not the way they install the reducers in the O/U's. The Perozzi is definitely a great gun.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

awesome stuff. it was a fun event to watch. good to see shooting getting some good recognition. i wonder if she bird hunts at all?

from ejunk wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

that was a lot of fun to watch. great to see our gal win, too!

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

I'm one proud American. I salute you, Kim Rhode.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Congratulations Kim Rhode! You make us all proud.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

I always like to know what maker of gun they shoot.

from warrenhapke wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Sayfu,

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from Redford wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Kim Rhode made us all proud! May she continue to shine!

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

that was a lot of fun to watch. great to see our gal win, too!