Thief Steals 10 Small Gators from Audubon Zoo in New Orleans

Field Notes

July 06, 2012

Thief Steals 10 Small Gators from Audubon Zoo in New Orleans

By Chad Love

What would you do with ten baby alligators? Beats me, but apparently someone wanted them badly enough to steal them from the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans.

From this story on fox8live.com:

Someone swiped 10 small alligators from a swamp exhibit at the Audubon Zoo. The zoo isn't giving details about how the hatchlings were stolen, but the NOPD hopes to recover them and alligator experts are concerned. "As soon as they hatch out of an egg, they will do a death roll on your finger," said Jim Piculas of the Insta-Gator Hatchery as he lead a tour group at the Covington site. There are hatchlings similar to the ones stolen from a swamp exhibit at the Audubon Zoo at the farm.

Never mind the why, I'm more intrigued with the how, exactly, someone would walk out of a zoo with ten alligators? Did they stuff them in a purse? A camera bag? Down their pants? Forget fingers, just imagine how painful a down-the-pants death roll would be.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

What would I do with ten baby alligators? I'd soak them in milk for about 24 hours. Then pat dry, and put them in a whipped egg. Then dip them in my favorite hot sauce, and then I'd fry them.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Sorry, forgot the most important part. After the hot sauce, shake them in two parts corn meal 1 part flour.

from dneaster3 wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Why would someone in Louisiana steal alligators... just walk out to your local pond with some uncooked chicken wings!

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Eh...I've had the "death roll on your finger" thing happen to me, and it's really not bad. In fact it's almost cute to see them try so hard to be scary! Honestly, I've had cat bites that are worse. As for when they get a few feet long, then they could pull a finger off or break your wrist...no smiles there. I guarantee whoever took them are going to sell them and probably sell them outside of LA. Maybe the Midwest even. If that's the case, most won't live to see their first birthday, those that do will more than likely be well on their way to metabolic bone disease. Sad how low people stoop to make a quick buck.

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Heck yeah gator is some good eatng.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from dneaster3 wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Heck yeah gator is some good eatng.