US Dept. of Interior: American Hunting and Angling Numbers On the Rise

Field Notes

August 16, 2012

US Dept. of Interior: American Hunting and Angling Numbers On the Rise

By Chad Love

What do hunters and anglers have in common with Mark Twain? The reports of their respective deaths have been greatly exaggerated. OK, so obviously Twain really is dead now, but America's sportsmen (and women), long bemoaned as a dying demographic, are not only still here and kicking, their numbers are on the rise.

From this Reuters story:
Nearly 38 percent of Americans hunted, fished or watched wildlife last year, reversing decades of decline in outdoor recreation, the Interior Department said on Wednesday. A 2011 survey shows that the number of U.S. hunters had gone up 9 percent in five years and anglers were up 11 percent, the department said in a statement. "This is great news since hunters and anglers have long been the driving force behind conservation efforts in America," Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said in a conference call with reporters.

According to the story, after nearly 30 years of decline, the latest survey (conducted every five years) revealed that in 2011, 13.7 million people--6 percent of the population--went hunting. Some of the factors credited for the increase include efforts by the federal government and conservation groups to get people outside.

What do you think is contributing to the increasing popularity of hunting and fishing? The economy? The locavore/slow food movement? Television?

from CL3 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I think it's a combination of a more active younger generation that likes to be outdoors and the realtive low cost (if you choose) of hunting & fishing. Cheap fun. Plus, I think it's become "cool" to eat organic.

One parallel; notice golfers of the last decade or so? They aren't fat slobs anymore.

from krwheeler wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

CL3 I think is correct, but I would attribute it more to the economy. In recent reports poaching has been up for the last couple of years, also.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I am curious as to what percentage of this increase is composed of females?

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Zombies. Ok seriously, I am guessing 10 years of war, gave us a lot of veterans who have been exposed to firearms. And unless misused (or on the case of war used correctly), are not the boogeyman the media make them out to be.

from Savageshot wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

The organic craze, movies like food inc. grossing people out, hunger games, rising cost of food that contains or was fed corn, and programs like Natinal archery in school.

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I don't know about zombies, but I agree that returning vets that had not previously been exposed to hunting are now checking it out. This happened after WWII, a lot of "city boys" that did not come from hunting backgrounds started hunting after the war.It makes sense, you get out of the hustle and bustle of city life and hang out with your friends, you sit around a fire at night and can reflect after a day on the hunt.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I am curious as to what percentage of this increase is composed of females?

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago