Woman Lands Half-Ton Marlin in Hawaii, Just Misses World Record

Field Notes

August 23, 2012

Woman Lands Half-Ton Marlin in Hawaii, Just Misses World Record

By Chad Love

A 28-year-old woman fishing a tournament in Hawaii reeled in a massive half-ton marlin that would have won the tournament and broken records in the process. But as it turns out, neither happened, thanks to good, old-fashioned honesty.

From this story in the Washington Post:

A 5-foot-9-inch woman tournament fishing in Hawaii waters fought a 12-foot marlin more than four hours before getting it on her team’s boat and weighing it at more than a half-ton — a would-be world record. But 28-year-old Molly Palmer is missing out on the glory and thousands in tournament prize money for one pesky reason: Her team’s honor code. Cheating would have been easy and tempting. The Big Island Invitational Marlin Tournament runs in part on an honor system and Palmer, her captain and crewmates put up roughly $9,000 to enter last week.But the Kailua-Kona angler said it wasn’t a question of whether or not to cheat — her team just wanted to reel in the big catch. So they disqualified themselves and Palmer’s crewmates helped pull the monstrous fish aboard.

According to the story, Palmer needed to reel in the fish by herself in order for it to qualify as a valid catch for the tournament. Wow. The self-reported disqualification is a bummer, but kudos to Molly Palmer and her team for having the integrity and honesty to do the right thing.

Stay tuned to fieldandstream.com for more details on this amazing story.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

The folks in the pictures and smiling and happy because they are honest. Good for them.

from Marty Party wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I don't get exactly why they disqualified themselves. Weren't they in a tourney?

from weedless97 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

What an amazing fish!

from anjay02 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Sometimes winning isn't everything. Congrats on the fish!!! I'm glad to see there are people out there that are willing to forfeit winning for the glory of doing the right thing.

from anjay02 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from John A Pierog wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Great accomplishment and greater honesty and character!

from Dave Moff wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

She still holds the record, even though it may not go into the books. The honesty alone is a mighty fine prize and it will not surprise me if the team is in time rewarded for doing the right thing. Who would you rather see endorsing a boat, fishing gear, or what have you? A "win at any cost" person who may well have ignored the rules? Or someone who actually used the product and refused to cheat. To me that's a very powerful endorsement indeed. Here's to ya!

from canardnoir wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Just another way to gamble while commercializing our declining billfish resources.

We're now rationing the resource to the rich, so there's no equity for the have-nots!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jt Urban wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Awesome accomplishment and the integrity of all is outstanding. My congrats to all involved and I hope your accomplishment and honesty are well rewarded.

from Jt Urban wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Rationing the resource to the rich and no equity for the have-nots? Come on. I can buy a McDonald's meal if I have $7.00 but a person with no money can't. All resoures are "rationed" if that is your definition. It's a Van Halen quote, but, "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better, totally better." I work for a living, like most people, and I always have. In my entire life, a poor person has never hired me.

from cdent68 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

"rationing the resource to the rich"......oh my. Are we in France? $9k as an entry fee divided by the number of folks in that boat works out to a couple grand each plus expenses- not chump change but certainly not an insurmountable amount of money. How did you twist a story that highlights the honesty of a tournament team into a statement on social inequity?

from Ricks Auto Flee... wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

There honesty will be rewarded somewhere down the line. Good to see there are people out there that have morals still. Its not all about the money and glory for some. This guy who talked about rationing must wake up everyday and look for something or someone to bash instead of finding something in this world of ours to praise. Must be a miserable existence. Anyway, congrats on a great catch and more so on the honesty.

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Wow Congrats on that trophy.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from weedless97 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

What an amazing fish!

from anjay02 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from John A Pierog wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Great accomplishment and greater honesty and character!

from cdent68 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Marty Party wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from anjay02 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Dave Moff wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Jt Urban wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Jt Urban wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Ricks Auto Flee... wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Wow Congrats on that trophy.

from canardnoir wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago