Field & Stream Reader Shares His Story of Another Beaver Attack

Field Notes

August 17, 2012

Field & Stream Reader Shares His Story of Another Beaver Attack

By Chad Love

Not long after we posted the story of a New York scoutmaster who was attacked by a rabid beaver, we got an e-mail from reader Trent Drobnick who wanted to relay the story of his own bad beaver encounter. Trent writes:

After hearing a 3rd story of individuals getting attacked by beavers, I decided to listen to my friends advice and write in to Field and Stream about my encounter on 6/22/12.

I was fly fishing the Potomac River near Seneca Rocks with my friend Dave. We were catching a nice number of fish and then I hooked into a 18+ incher and fought it for a few minutes before it spit my hook out and left me with a tangled mess of a top fly and 2 droppers. While I was untangling my line I felt this gush of water come upon my lower legs and then felt something between my feet. I looked down and seen a brown streak of fur over 3 ft. long and immediately jumped. When I jumped it latched on to the outside of my left leg and would not let go.

After what seemed like minutes, I finally took the butt of my fly rod and beat it until it left go and I could get to the bank and climb up on a fallen tree. My friend came across the river and was throwing rocks at it to try and get it away from us and it started lunging at the rocks he was throwing. Finally after multiple hits with rocks it swam off and we were able to go to Yoakum’s general store to get help.

Later that day my [wife and Dave's wife] took our children to the Seneca Rocks discovery center near where the encounter happened and sure enough, this crazed beaver came right up to them and multiple other people that were standing on the walking bridge that crossed the small feeder stream. There was definitely something wrong with this animal and it ended up leaving me with 8 stitches, immunoglobulin shots, and [I] started the rabies vaccination while at Grant Memorial Hospital to which I had to have follow up ER visits for the remaining shots and a celluloses infection that spread from my knee to ankle…not to mention the few thousand dollars the entire encounter has cost me so far…

Trent says he reported his encounter to both state and federal wildlife officials, as well as the National Park Service. The beaver couldn't be found, but signs were erected warning visitors to beware. Is the recent spat of beaver attacks just an anomaly? Have you heard of any rabid beavers in your area?

from rock rat wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

No sign of rabid ones but I have noticed sometimes they seem angry. Generally I'd have to say I like beaver. he he

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

zombie beavers! weres my 464 tactical .30-30? with my buck zipper throwing edition w/gut hook

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I stepped on one while flyfishing once. I stepped off of a log jam into some slack water and when my left foot touched down it seemed that the ground swam out from underneather me. Needles to say i was very startled when i saw a huge beaver that at the time seemed like the size of a bear swim out from underneath my foot. I am extremely glad it didnt feel the need to get revenge on my leg. I can only imagine how badly it hurts when they take a bite out of you.

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

This story made me think of this story...
“A couple came up to me in Atlanta and said ‘If we ever met you we had to tell you about when her brother got his nipple bit off by a beaver.’ Well, you have my attention. You couldn’t make that up! They had hit it with the truck and it had gone in the ditch and they wanted to find it because they wanted to take it to the taxidermist cause we all know how pretty they are on a Thanksgiving dining room table holding up the turkey. So he picks this thing up by the *tail* and he said ‘look, it ain’t even cut up or bloody or nothin’!’ because apparently, “nothin” is the word that brings a beaver back to consciousness and that was about the moment the beaver lurched out and bit his nipple off. Did not bite it, bit it off. O-F-F, off, bit it off. That is a new kind of hurt right there.

from john c. wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Last spring a cousin of mine was bitten by a rabid beaver while swimming in the Blue Bend Recreation Area of the Monongahela National Forest.

The beaver wasn't found, so the rabies diagnosis was based on the animal's odd behavior. The attack occurred at a public swimming area during the middle of the afternoon. At the time there were approximately thirty people in the water, including many children. The emergency room doctor who treated him said that had the animal bitten one of the children it could have potentially severed an arm or leg.

from john c. wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

In my last post I meant to mention that the place where the story I recounted took place is about an hour and a half south of Seneca Rocks where Trent's encounter took place.

Also, over the last couple of years the number of confirmed cases of rabies in this area have increased significantly. The fox and raccoon populations have been extremely hard hit. Last spring and summer the local health authorities conducted numerous bait drops, which are supposed to help immunize certain animals.

from blevenson wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I hate the damn things. Ruined my best duck slough by damning up the water source to it. Trap them for coats and hats in my opinion!

from larson014 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

please thank your local trapper, we always get bashed till things like this happens... then they are looking for our number

from Raccoon Creeker wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

no beavers, but had a close muskrat encounter once

from buckfan125 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

It sounds like Trent needs to call Turtleman!

from ENO wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Sounds like a bad case of the "Beaver Fever" is going around.

from longbeards wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I fish this area weekly in the spring. I might see a beaver once or twice a spring.,,BUT in the future I will be keeping an eye out!!

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

i've never had a problem with beavers

from rock rat wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

This story made me think of this story...

from Raccoon Creeker wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

no beavers, but had a close muskrat encounter once

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from john c. wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from john c. wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from blevenson wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from larson014 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from buckfan125 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

It sounds like Trent needs to call Turtleman!

from ENO wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Sounds like a bad case of the "Beaver Fever" is going around.

from longbeards wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago