Wisconsin DNR Receives 3,277 Wolf Hunting Permit Requests in 2 Days

Field Notes

August 03, 2012

Wisconsin DNR Receives 3,277 Wolf Hunting Permit Requests in 2 Days

By Chad Love

Although some folks are howling mad about Minnesota's first wolf hunt, over in Wisconsin, the big problem is the fact that demand is outstripping supply.

From this story in the LaCrosse Tribune:
The state Department of Natural Resources has received 3,277 applications for wolf hunting permits in the first two days of the application period, which started Wednesday. By noon Wednesday, just a few hours after the agency started taking applications, the DNR had already received 1,800 permit requests, according to Scott Loomans, a DNR spokesman. "I guess we really didn't know what to expect," Loomans said. "But it sounds encouraging. We're hoping to get as many applications as we can."

Loomans said the agency did not yet have a breakdown of how many applications were from in state and how many were from elsewhere. The controversial wolf hunt is scheduled to begin Oct. 15 and run through Feb. 28, 2013. The agency has set a statewide quota of 201 wolves out of a population of about 800. The DNR could issue as many as 2,010 permits, but the season would be shut down once the quota is reached, according to agency wildlife officials.

Any hopeful Badger State wolf hunters out there?

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

nope.
i support the wolf hunt but i am disappointed in the trapping that is allowed with it. the trapping season will basically go right along during the ruffed grouse season. it'll be pretty sad if people have problems with their dogs getting into the traps. i for one am kind of nervous about it. i guess that is what happens when you have politicians creating the hunting seasons....

from derik wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

There are many states where trapping seasons overlap with hunting seasons. It is a given that when that occurs there will be some incidents of by catch, but I doubt that guys are using drowning sets or body grippers for wolf trapping. Gotta share the woods with each other, but I have my doubts about how serious a problem it is. I have never trapped by the way, and I have friends that trap and hunt with dogs, in all my years they have never had one of their dogs get into a foot hold. I have heard the occasional story of when it happens, and the dogs are freed with no ill effect.

from Horseapples wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

At $10 per for an application fee, I can understand why they are hoping for as many applications as they can get!

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Wish Michigan would do this!

from hhack wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I will be surprised if Wisconsin actually reaches their 201 animal quota. Trapping wolves and hunting wolves is a long lost skill that will take time to regain.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

nope.

from derik wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from Horseapples wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Wish Michigan would do this!

from hhack wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago