Salazar Announces $30 Million Federal Investment in Waterfowl Hunting Programs

Field Notes

September 14, 2012

Salazar Announces $30 Million Federal Investment in Waterfowl Hunting Programs

By Chad Love

These aren't such good times to be a middle-class public-land hunter, but it's not all bad news...

From this press release from Ducks Unlimited
Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe yesterday announced a landmark investment of nearly $30 million in the future of wetlands, waterfowl and public waterfowl hunting across the country through expanded refuges and hunting programs. Breaking down the total, nearly $11 million in revenue from the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund will add more than 10,000 wetland acres to seven units in the National Wildlife Refuge System, and an additional $18.4 million in federal funding will conserve more than 95,000 acres of wetlands and associated habitat under the North American Wetlands Conservation Act. Expanded hunting activities will also be added on 16 national wildlife refuges in 14 states, including several new and enhanced migratory bird hunting opportunities.

Those are your tax dollars being utilized on your public lands for the betterment of your cherished hunting traditions.

from hal herring wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Yes, yes, and yes again. Ken Salazar has proved out as the best Secretary of Interior since Stewart Udall.

My son and I will be going to the Youth Waterfowl/Upland Bird Hunting seminar at Freezeout Lake this weekend, too, another excellent program put on by USFWS (which is under the Dept. of Interior) partnering with Montana.

Hunters and fisherman are making a huge difference in keeping conservation and basic economics up front and center. I can't remember the federal government ever promoting hunting with anything concrete like this. We are having an impact.

from rock rat wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

I've been watching Salazar with care, especially seeing as he used to be my senator, I'm also on some kind of email list from USFWS, and I have to say I'm continuously impressed. From little things like this expanding of Wildlife Areas and committing dollars to hunting all the way to opening many more Wildlife Areas to big game hunting and that Great Outdoors program. It's only my opinion but I'm real happy with what Ken has done and I'm hoping he stays on for another 4 years.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

The best? Anyone can promise folks lots of tax payer dollars, but where's the money? We are so far deep in debt there may be no recovery. In an election year it ain't hard to say I'll give you tax payer money. Problem is we are borrowing money, and paying a high interest on the borrowed money. Right now generations down the road will be forced to sacrifice their standard of living to pay off our debt. I'd say many on one side of the isle especially had better go buy a basic ECON 101 book, and try to understand some of it.

from GERG wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Its sounds wonderful, I hope it comes to fruition. Not just more goverenment intelligence. Lord I hope its so!

from GERG wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

sayfu: i hope you aren't using any public access when you are fishing and i hope you don't use any public land when hunting. otherwise you are quite the hypocrite

from hal herring wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago