CA Governor Signs Bill Banning Use of Dogs for Hunting Bears, Bobcats

Field Notes

September 27, 2012

CA Governor Signs Bill Banning Use of Dogs for Hunting Bears, Bobcats

By Chad Love

In a move that most people expected, California Governor Jerry Brown has signed a bill that will outlaw the use of dogs for hunting bears and bobcats.

From this story in the Los Angeles Times
Hunters in California will no longer be allowed to use dogs to hunt bears and bobcats under legislation signed Wednesday by Gov. Jerry Brown in response to complaints the practice is cruel and unsporting. Brown approved the ban, which takes effect Jan. 1, after heavy lobbying by groups including the Humane Society of the United States and a coalition of celebrities including Doris Day, Ellen DeGeneres and Bill Maher. The bill was introduced by Sen. Ted Lieu (D-Torrance), who noted that hunting bears with hounds has previously been outlawed in 14 states, including Arkansas, Colorado, Montana, Oklahoma, Oregon and Wyoming. ``There is nothing sporting in shooting an exhausted bear clinging to a tree limb or a cornered bobcat,'' Lieu said Wednesday.

Thoughts? Any California readers that will be affected by this new ban?

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Who cares? They elected Moonbat they shall sleep in the bed they made!!! Come on by now isn't a conservative or even a moderate republican in California more of an endangered species than the California Condor? I'm glad there are thousands of miles between me and California and alot of socialist territory to settle in before reaching Ohio.

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

With all budget problems, drugs, gangs, crime, murder and other less than pleasant features associated with California, it's good to know that they are committing their collective conscious to solving the problem of law-abiding sportsmen happily minding their own business.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Dcast, love it! Just be glad they aren't Californicating Ohio like they are Colorado.

from rock rat wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

We are only one ballog measure away from the same. Just because somewhere is a thousand miles away doesn't mean it can't happen to you. California has some of the most gorgeous country in the US, it could be full of elk and deer,,, and hunters.

from Dann wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

HSUS has publicily stated, it will end all hunting in CA and then take it state-by-state until there is no hunting left in the US.

Those of you who live outside CA take heed because they're doing it. Sticking your head in the sand and leaving your fellow CA hunters out in the cold won't work.

from derik wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Give them an inch, they will take a mile. The HSUS and other groups like it will not stop until all forms of hunting is done away with. You may think that your upland game and deer hunting will be there for you and future generations, but if you don't support your fellow hunter and his ways, why should he support yours. Those groups only have to keep at it over time whittling away at hunting. A house divided my friends...

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

History shows that what happens in California, follows in other states soon after. This is a big loss for hunters everywhere.

And this is only the beginning.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I would be a little more concerned but I think it is well known California is a lost cause. It is the poster child of and Open Society within Stalinist Russia, any other state yeh I would raise caine but they are a grain of sand in a vast ocean. Not to mention hunters to antihunters has to be astronomically low.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Rock Rat,Derik,Dann, buckhunter, The difference between them and most other states is they have a majority that backs HSUS views. Not worried!

from dbenear1985 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Well trust the democrats and see what happens. Soon no one will be able to hunt. Any conservative hunter living in a blue state needs to fight as hard as they can now and remember every vote counts. I understand it doesn't seem like much but you elect the officials doing this and they should be voted out. I am just glad i dont live in CA. I couldnt put up with the crazy rules these people come up with.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sanjuancb wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

The old ways are dying. Soon it will be this way with racoons too.

Who are we to let the likes of Ellen Degeneres and Bill Maher destroy our way of life? Sheep---or worse.

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

If what Dann is saying is an actual staement said by hsus is true then the day they try to make a move outside of california is the day they take a punch to the head and .I dont care what flack I get from you eventually just complaining to those in power wont be enough.these eco-terrorists have deep pockets to bombard people with pseudo-facts,if it gets down to physical violence to defend what I love I will do it.

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I don't exactly agree with using dogs to hunt bears as I hunt them sitting in a stand but if it comes down to hunters vs anit-hunters I will support the use of dogs all I can

from Dann wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from derik wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

And this is only the beginning.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Sanjuancb wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

The old ways are dying. Soon it will be this way with racoons too.

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago