College Student Arrested for Cooking Live Hamster

Field Notes

September 07, 2012

College Student Arrested for Cooking Live Hamster

By Chad Love

I know that college students historically are a traditionally malnourished bunch, what with the price of tuition, books and beer, there's just not much left over for food. I well remember my mac-n-cheese days, supplemented with whatever edible wild bits I could catch or shoot. Ahh, good times... But I drew the line at hamsters, man.

From this story in the (UK) Sun:

RIVAL rodent experts are lined up for a court battle as a student faces a cruelty trial for allegedly cooking a live HAMSTER. James White, 21, is challenging the prosecution claim that the pet was alive when it went into a pan. He was arrested after police were called to a block of flats following reports of a drunk asleep in a communal area. Inside White’s flat they are understood to have noticed a strange smell from the kitchen and found the dead hamster in a frying pan on the stove. Tests allegedly showed the hamster died of heart failure brought on by excessive heat.

OK, this kid's guilt, innocence or sanity aside, what's the weirdest "locavore" food you ever scrounged in college?

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

1) I don't think there would be enough meat on a hamster for it to be worthwhile to eat. 2) While I am against cruelty to animals, who would waste money on a necropsy of a HAMSTER to determine its' cause of death?

from Steward wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Yeah, I'm sorry, but it's a rodent. If it was alive, that was wrong, but seriously? A criminal case? I like the illustration you have with the story though. That brightened my day a little.

from Buckshott00 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

People feed live hamsters to snakes all the time, they're rodents what do they care? Also hamsters die from heart attacks all the time. I can't believe they have taken this, this far.

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

People put live lobsters into boiling pots everyday...

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Look at the show JACKASS and what generation is doing this and what they watch?

Enough said

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I hope someone keeps an eye on, James. I've made poor decisions while being drunk but cooking your pets alive?? That just aint right.

As far as locavore food? I cooked a squirrel on a stick during a camping trip. It was dead, skinned and cleaned before I cooked it though. It was the one and only squirrel ive ever eaten. Needed salt.

from GERG wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

What an Idiot! Evreyone knows you have to have a dozen,DISPATCHED AND CLEANED, to have a decent meal! I wonder exactly how much drugs and booze were involved? On a serious note has anyone ever tried cuy,guinea pig,? They are very popular in South America.Sounds like it would be about like a small rabbit?

from iron giant wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

That is kind of funny and ridiculous. I don't advocate cruelty to animals, but I think you have serious problems when your country is using tax dollars to investigate the death of a hampster.

About the guinea pig thing. I have never eaten one, so I don't know what they taste like. However, I have a friend who grew up in Ecuador, and he told me that he forgets that people keep guinea pigs as pets here, because he looks at them as food, not a pet.

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

funny!

from Sneaky wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I've killed and eaten a starling. Routinely eat calf fries, rattlesnakes when I get my hands on them, and menudo. They're all delicious.

from Quinton Schmelz... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

very funny! I don't know that it should be, but I think it is...

now the picture is my profile pic on facebook...

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I wonder if they had a autopsy.

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

People put live lobsters into boiling pots everyday...

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Buckshott00 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Look at the show JACKASS and what generation is doing this and what they watch?

Enough said

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from GERG wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from iron giant wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

funny!

from Sneaky wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Quinton Schmelz... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

very funny! I don't know that it should be, but I think it is...

now the picture is my profile pic on facebook...

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I wonder if they had a autopsy.