French Hunter Shot by His Dog, Loses Hand

Field Notes

September 19, 2012

French Hunter Shot by His Dog, Loses Hand

By Chad Love

Last year, you may recall the Utah lab that accidentally shot his master in the buttocks while the pair were duck hunting.

Well, a similiar incident occurred recently in France.

From this story on abcnews.com:
The last thing an experienced hunter would expect is to be shot by his “best friend” while they’re out hunting together. Especially when “best friend” actually refers to his dog. But that’s exactly what happened last weekend to 55-year-old Rene of France, who refused to give his last name. “He jumped on me as if to give me a hug,” said Rene, “and as he jumped, his paw hit the trigger.”

According to the story, Rene was deer hunting with three of his Blue Gascony basset hounds when his youngest dog jumped up on him, set off the gun, and basically blew Rene's right hand off. The hand, mangled beyond repair, had to be amputated. Rene does not blame the dog, but himself.

from Moose1980 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Ow! Probably had the butt of the gun on the ground and his hand over the muzzle. Ow...again!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Just yesterday my pup came to give me some loving while we were sitting in cover waiting for geese. I noted how easily her paw landed on the safety and trigger of my 870 at the same time. It's not hard to see how these mishaps can happen even if the hunter is excersizing reasonable due diligence.

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

So did he immediatly surrender to the dog or wait for a while?

from mcrumrine wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

More proof as to why you should ALWAYS know where your muzzle is pointing and what it is pointing at.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

Ouch! Guess I understand why y'all didn't post this on the "Man's Best Friend" blog...

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

So did he immediatly surrender to the dog or wait for a while?

from Moose1980 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago