TV Host Charged with Kansas Hunting Violations

Field Notes

September 10, 2012

TV Host Charged with Kansas Hunting Violations

By Chad Love

A while back, Whitetail 365 blogging guru Dave Hurteau challenged readers to say something--anything--nice about outdoors television. It was a fascinating and entertaining exercise in grasping at straws. With that in mind, maybe someone would like to take a crack at showing this television hunting personality a little love. Sounds like he may need it.

From this story on the Outdoor Wire:
Court records indicate that Tennessee resident William "Spook" Spann, 49, was charged in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Kan. on Sept. 6 with transportation of wildlife from Kansas to Tennessee that he allegedly obtained in violation of Kansas hunting laws. The violations are alleged to have occurred in November 2007, the same year Spann shot a non-typical whitetail buck that grossed about 230 inches and netted about 224 Pope & Young points in Stafford County, Kan., reports Wichita Eagle outdoors writer, Michael Pearce.

The deer was shot with archery equipment, during the state's regular archery season. At the time the deer was promoted as the largest whitetail buck ever taken on video. The story of Spann's hunt was featured in national magazines, videos and TV shows.

According to the story, the indictment states Spann transported the antlers from Kansas to Tennessee after allegedly falsely reporting where the deer was killed. Spann is the host of the hunting show "Spook Nation."

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Not much for details in the press report. I suspect he shot someone's cultivated "wild" buck without their permission. If that's the case, I hope they throw the book at him and fine him two cents. That's about what those phoney barnyard bucks are worth, in my mind anyway.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Dcast wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Lack of information as usual, no need to comment. Falsely reporting where deer was killed doesn't really tell the whole story. What if he was hunting on a county line and shot it in one county and didn't realize it and turned it in at the county he thought he was in? Come on give us more info than that. I hunt a county line and believe me if your not from around you would have no idea.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I agree. Not much information here.

from LWarren wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Not enough information but of all the TV hunters he seems like the most realistic one. It does look like one of them canned deer though.

from Jim Bohley wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

It doesn't seem too smart that anyone would try to do something illegal and film it and then do interviews and get all of the publicity that he did. I'm with all of the others on this. I would need to know the whole story before I offer an opinion. They tried to do the same thing to Ted Nugent in Alaska.

from ScotFerg wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Would you tell the whole world (exactly)where your best fishing hole was???? I wouldn't.

Here's some more info.
h.t.t.p://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=412378&messages=1&forum=4
This guy is much worse than a canned hunter (though he does own a string of Spook Nation Farms where he cultivates other trophies). HE BOUGHT THE DEER ILLEGALLY IN KANSAS AND THEN TRANSPORTED THE ANTLERS TO TENNESSEE. What happened to the rest of the animal? Anyone seen a headless roadkill on the highway to Tennessee? And I thought Jeff Foiles and Ted Nugent were scum. At least they shot the animals they poached.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

If bowsite.com is correct. Spann only had a landowner tag but shot this buck on another farm. What a shame. I loved the video.

from Gary Devine wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I agree with ScotFerg that most hunters and fisherman would lie about their secret hot spot. I have witness hunters, telling others another location, just to keep their honey hole, safe from a sportsmen stampede.
What is it with law enforcement these days? Are they running low on coffee and donuts and they got to nail stupid charges on a hunting show host. Its amazing with all the Fish and Wildlife crime out there, that they have to swoop to the level of a stupid offense.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I'm guessing his own video sealed his doom. If he was using a landowner tag for his property and shot it someplace else then he's a poacher. If the video is shot on someone else's place (and that likely would not be hard to prove!) then he's as good as convicted. Hope Kansas is one of the 37 states hooked together with mutual punishment and the guy winds up with twenty year ban on hunting. That'll be the end of his business. And it should be.

from Cindy Pickford-Marcy wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Ontario Honker- You give hunters a bad reputation. Jealous because you can't shoot a trophy? Sounds to me like Kansas was upset that he took the deer home! I've seen the hunt. Have you? I doubt it. Go crawl back under your Ontario rock!

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from LWarren wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

He claims to have killed it on his own land. Only he knows for sure but heck give the guy the chance to prove it I say.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Cindy, Please forgive my friend Honker. He is always blunt and to the point... and right.

Honker is one hell of a hunter.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Cindy, do your homework. Look in my profile and you'll see I have shot a lot of trophies, all on public land and none intentionally. And there's a couple other nice whitetails and elk that aren't in there. However, I'm obviously a meat hunter. I have one rainbow trout mounted on the wall from about 1981. That's it for "wallhangers" for this guy! A whole lot of horns are hanging in the garage rafters or stored in the attic. As you can see a couple sets are too big for any wall in this house WITHOUT being mounted.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

And no, I don't watch those outdoors shows. Jealous of those guys? Pffffffffffft! I would rather be the King of England or the President and I know I'd throw myself under the bus if I got stuck with either of those jobs.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I believe the issue here is Spook was probably being cheap. Although the details are still sketchy, it seems Kansas landowner tags are less expensive and easier to acquire than the usual non-resident tag. Sounds to me like non-resident tags were also a bit restricted in that area and he just tried to find a way around it. If that's the case I hope they slap him good like that Green Bay character up in Montana who did essentially the same thing (repeatedly) and got thirty-some years license suspension.

from hansbrinks wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Ontario Honker is a tool... These people have very coveted jobs and jealous people like Ontario honker are far to quick to tear them down.

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

OH lets here a little more about the scum bag before we hang him. After all he just violated a little game law and thats not really violating the law or at least that is the justification that I heard all of the time.

from kansasjeff wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I could be wrong on this but I believe that landowner tags are seperate from the reuglar tags you have to win by draw from the KDWP which make them easier to obttain as well as cheaper. it's possible he didn't get a regular tag for the season and so tried to pull a fast one.

from Gator7777 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Lets wait for the details. If he is guilty his career should be over But lets not rush to judgement

from buck kelly wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Yes, wait for details. I knew about it when he was charged thru a mutual friend of his. A county music singer owns adjacent property and claimed the deer was actually on his property, it has taken 5 years before they charged him??? My best guess, it was very close to property line , and it probably took a survey to establish the line. When you shoot big deer, the jealous factor comes into play. Lots of land lines are assumed to be, not defending him, but not convicting him just because he was given a ticket

from buck kelly wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I buy landowner tags in IL, I dont think that makes me cheap, as some above have said. it does not matter if he had a state or county tag, if he was not on his property , he would be tresspassing.

from mwmrtn wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Iam trying to understand this, Landowner tags are for just for that property,so any other place makes the tag invalid.? So if he isn't a resident of the state how then do you get a Landowner tag? I thought you had to show you lived the the state for so many months pay property/school tax etc?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

buck, don't take what I said out of context. If he's a non-resident trying to circumvent the high cost of regular non-resident tag by investing in a piece of property so he can buy a landowner tag and then hunts somewhere else anyway, then yes I'd say he's doing it because he's cheap or simply unable to acquire a regular non-resident tag like any other non-resident without enough money to buy a chunk of property for a "Spook Nation Hunting Farm". Or the tags simply are not available for non-residents in the place where he wants to shoot the particular selected buck. If any of the above is the case, then he is a lawbreaker and therefore a poacher. Don't categorize yourself with this guy simply because you're buying a landowner tag.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I like Montana's system much better. No such thing as landowner tags. If you are a non-resident landowner you're subject to buying the same licenses as any other non-resident. You'll see from a number of threads posted on this blog that over the last couple of years several big shot landowners in Montana have been busted for shooting big game on their property without ANY tags. The punishments have been disgustingly inconsistent depending on the offender's wealth and, more significantly, their political affiliation.

from thequam wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

This is a bummer for me, I liked Spook and this was one of my favorite hunts to watch. I'm hoping this was a legitimate mistake and not done intentionally. I know that ignorance is no excuse, but mistakes can be made. Does anyone know where to find more info about this, I've tried to search for stuff a few times but can't seem to find any more info about what actually happened.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

OH, read the link you posted, and it doesn't really make to much sense either. He supposedly bought a hunt and a certain deer at an outfitter (LZ Properties) then shot it claiming he didn't shoot the deer on the outfitters land? Assuming he had a tag and it not being a highfenced hunt then wouldn't everything be legal and the outfitter P!$$off because he killed the deer that is supposedly his off of his property and in turn doesn't have to pay? I don't know this whole thing smells like the north end of a south bound horse! I will wait to see what happens and the factual story once everything is worked out in a court of law. Until then innocent until proven guilty.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Yeah, I can't figure out what the "buying a deer" charge was about either. Sounds like one needs to have a Philidelphia lawyer on retainer just to figure out what the hunting regs are in Kansas.

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Oh no! Chronic Ted Nugent Disease is spreading! Looks like we'll have to put down the whole herd of sports program hosts. Better do it Ol' Yeller style just to be safe.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

sorry cindy but real hunters don't really care that much about trophies to get jealous

hansbrinks: "these people have highly coveted jobs" ha ha i laughed at that. i'll just keep my mouth shut and not say anything more

from hutter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Tell the whole DAMN story

from sesker wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I know Spook Spann personally, for all you people that judge before knowing someone, I can tell you a few things. Of all the people I have ever met in my life or in the hunting industry there are only a handful of them that I could compare to the kind of person Spook is, he is a great person all the way through, he respects everyone, he loves his family, he truely believes in his motto of: God, Family and Country. He doesn't even swear. He doesn't drink, he is in my mind every outdoorsmans hero. There is no way that he would commit any violation knowingly. There are a lot of jealous people in this world and I sure hope that his name is cleared and people stop saying things about him that they know nothing about.

from dale freeman wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I think we need to remember that bringing back or, taking back, what we have said is like trying to unring a bell.

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Does this blog serve the outdoor industry? Spook Spann has been a great ambassador for hunting. If he is actually quilty of a game offence then lets report it but blogging this 1/2 story does nothing but harm a man's reputation who up to this point has been nothing but an asset to the outdoor community. The problem with these daily blogs is that you are so quick to release "new information" that a "story" doesn't have time to fully develope and you are only fueling the fire of negative naysayers who like to pounce on anything negative like a blood thirsty wolf!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Encouraging viewers to take 100 yard shots at deer with a bow hardly seems to me to be a good ambassador for hunting. A local friend of mine ran a different sort of "down home fun" hunting/fishing show on a couple of networks successfully for several seasons (before the crazy economics associated with producing those things finally became too much). At one point he was on a caribou hunt in NE Canada and watched one of the bow hunters in his party take a nice bull at fifty plus yards. He didn't have any problem turning aside to the camera and telling his viewers that doing something like that was totally foolish and irresponsible! Especially given the wind up there on the tundra. Now HE was a good ambassador for the sport! He's now unemployed but has no regrets. Like me, he can't stand where today's "ambassadors" are taking hunting and fishing. Right to the rich game hog antler addicts and the marketing whizkids who fuel their fantasies with useless technocrap and advertising.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I agree. Not much information here.

from Jim Bohley wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from LWarren wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from ScotFerg wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Here's some more info.

from sesker wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from dale freeman wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from LWarren wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Honker is one hell of a hunter.

from kansasjeff wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago