5 Wolves Tagged in Wisconsin During Opening Week of State's Inaugural Season

Field Notes

October 18, 2012

5 Wolves Tagged in Wisconsin During Opening Week of State's Inaugural Season

By Chad Love

Wisconsin's litigious wolf season got off to a relatively productive start this week, as five wolves were checked in during the hunt's opening days.

From this story in the Christian Science Monitor:
Wisconsin officials said on Wednesday that hunters killed five wolves during the first two days of the state's inaugural wolf harvest, which began this week despite opposition from animal rights groups. The state's Department of Natural Resources said a gray wolf was trapped and killed on Tuesday in Oneida County and hunters elsewhere across the state reported four kills on Monday as the state-sanctioned effort to reduce the population began. So far, the state has issued 638 of the 1,160 wolf-harvesting licenses it authorized for the season, which runs through Feb. 28 or until hunters reach the quota of 201 wolves.

from Alex Grimaudo wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I would love to see some pictures. I had no idea Wisconsin issued so many licenses for wolves.

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I hope they fill the quota in record time! I don't mind wolves, but what I do mind is deer hunters not having deer to shoot because the wolves are turning them into fertilizer.

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

When I last checked on Monday 20 wolves of the quota of 52 hve been killed in Wyoming's first wolf season.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I wonder if they are issuing any non-resident licenses? Wisconsin would be a shorter drive from Missouri than one of the western states that have wolf seasons.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

i'm skeptical the quota will get filled.
tons of deer in the southern part of the state. in the north not so much. however the northern wisconsin just isnt that productive of deer habitat

-1 Good Comment? | | Report

from Alex Grimaudo wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

i'm skeptical the quota will get filled.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report