British Newsstand Bans Kids Under 14 From Buying Gun Mags

Field Notes

October 15, 2012

British Newsstand Bans Kids Under 14 From Buying Gun Mags

By Chad Love

If you live in the UK, you're under 14 and you love reading about shooting sports, the nation's largest chain of newsagents wants to protect you from yourself. WH Smith, Britain's largest distributor of newspapers and magazines, just instituted a ban on children under 14 from buying magazines about the shooting sports. Yes, you just read that right: In the UK (or at least at WH Smith locations) magazines like Field & Stream are subversive material not suitable for children.

From this story in the (UK) Telegraph:

It is a sport enjoyed by thousands of children, and one which gained Britain a gold medal at the Olympics. But children have been banned from buying shooting hobby magazines by Britain’s biggest newsagent - even though it is entirely legal for them to own a gun. WH Smith, Britain’s biggest chain of newsagents, has banned youngsters from buying copies of country sports magazines after a campaign by animal rights activists. The retailer, whose founding family owned a highly prized shoot in Buckinghamshire, says it has introduced an age limit on such magazines as Shooting Times because children are not allowed to obtain a firearms certificate until they are 14.

According to the story, however, the newspaper chain is simply wrong, as there is no minimum age in Britain for holding a shotgun license, although children under 18 cannot buy guns and those under 14 must be adult-supervised. For a good breakdown of the issue, check out this story in the UK shooting magazine Sporting Shooter.

Thought? Reaction? Think it could ever happen here?

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

It is sad that the company caved to an animal rights group and restricted the sale of legitimate speech. I winder if a counter protest would convince them to change their minds?

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

This is laugh-able, are they going to ban children from reading newspapers also? The everyday news contains far more graphic, violent and disturbing news than any gun magazine.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Do you see how you create an end to a means? Anti-hunting folks want to stop hunting so they work the edges... ban a gun magazine here, etc. Chip away and soon you have your way. It's the same with the anti-hunting folks in our country... use politics to chip away at funding sources so hunting dies by starvation, or try to anyway.

People suck.

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

yes it could happen here...why? because much of our government is run by people with absolutely no real world experience (example president obama) and these morons come up with these insane ideas that have no real world praticality. maybe it sounds good on paper but will it actually work? thats what goes through the minds of these dim witted fools. its wonderful that our schools are pushing more and more students to read but they are condemmed to read magazines that talk about our heritage / 2nd ammendment rights. hmmm, is that just another reason we are no longer part of britain's regime?

from small game sportsman wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

This is ridiculous. I always say it, but i guess I must say it agin. Teach kids about guns rather than trying to isolate them from guns. This will not only solve this problem, but will prevent gun related accidents in the future.

from Hannay wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

W.H. Smith is a private company and can choose what they decide to sell, and they are free to set policies about who they sell to, ridiculous as they may be. This happens here in the US all the time. Just for example, wander into any (almost any) airport book store and you will be lucky to find a Field & Stream. You usually will not find any more specialized shooting magazines. Stores here set their own policies about what magazines to carry, and, of course they may restrict access to "adult" magazines beyond what the law requires.

Oddly enough, a typical W.H. Smith store on any high street in England will have a pretty good selection of shooting magazines. I suppose shooters could boycott W.H. Smith, but then I suppose they would stop selling shooting magazines altogether. So hard to say what the best course of action is.

It does remind me though of the time I was staying in Leuven, Belgium, and the hotel had a web-monitor that blocked access to any shooting related website. If you tried to access any, you were simply informed that accessing gun-related sites wasn't permitted. I couldn't check gunbroker or even look for fishing gear on the Cabela's website. I talked to the front desk staff - they had no clue and assumed it must really be illegal to look at these sites. Very strange. I stayed in the hotel a year later with no problem, though.

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

What difference does it make? the government won't let them buy guns anyway.This season take an American kid hunting. we can save ourselves.

from JRE19 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

This is sad, im 19 now so I would still be able to buy magazines. But since i could read i have been getting Field and Stream each month and i look forward to getting this magazine each month. Not only this magazine but many hunting magazines i look forwatd to. If i would not have been able to buy these at such a young age, I probably would not have read much of anything at all. Hunting is a huge part of my life and I plan to keep it that way. I love taking new hunters out and letting them harvest that big buck i have been scouting all year. This is the highlight of my life.

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

My school library still has a Field and Stream subscription...I just wonder how long.

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago