Indiana Police Warn Hunters to Watch For Meth Lab Waste

Field Notes

October 18, 2012

Indiana Police Warn Hunters to Watch For Meth Lab Waste

By Chad Love

Indiana state police are warning hunters to stay away from meth lab trash they find while out in the field.

From this story on wishtv.com:
Indiana State Police are warning hunters to stay away from trash left behind by those making methamphetamine, saying it may contain chemicals that are toxic, flammable, corrosive and acidic. Police say the combination of the chemicals could cause an explosion, fire or burns. Police say among the items hunters should be wary of are 1.5 gallon gas cans, battery casings, plastic bags, empty blister packs, soda bottles and other types of containers. Police also warn that hunters should be aware of backpacks and nylon or plastic bags found in an odd place because they could contain toxic vapors.

So not only do we have to watch out for illegal pot farms on public lands, we also have to watch out for illegal meth kitchens as well. As anyone who has ever stumbled across one can attest, meth lab sites are unspeakably filthy and dangerous areas. Anyone ever find one while out hunting or fishing?

from Dcast wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Not only a problem in Indiana, Myself and two others ran across them in one of our hunting spots. The game warden just so happened to show up to check us and we reported it to her. This particular spot I have found several labs dumped after use. The last one that was reported to the game warden was quite large we found 7 AA tanks that were emptied and all the corresponding trash included in making Meth. I don't understand how people can do this drug not only is it highly dangerous to make but highly dangerous to take. We have a serious problem with this in our area and the surrounding towns. I think those caught with it or making it should spend a few weeks in the hospital to see what happens to you after long periods of use and what happens to you when the manufacturing process goes bad. When these labs blow they BLOW! I seen a whole two story home leveled from one with the homes on both sides suffering severe damage and the vacant building I was going to across the street had a 2x4 sticking out of the metal building. Nothing about this drug is good but there are to many idiots.

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

When my grandfather purchased some land adjacent to his, we found some pot nursury beds...in actual planting pots.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

The DNR in Iowa puts out a warning every year before hunting seasons get going. They warn about meth labs and pot farms hid in the woods.

from BackRoad600 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Yeah, we have a problem with that 'round these parts as well...There is an isolated chunk of land owned by the corps of engineers that backs up to a river, the only way to access it is by going through private property or by getting there by the river...It gets used by meth heads pretty frequently. Meth and other drugs that are abused are a sad thing, and the people who use them are sad people with no real enjoyment in life. These folks, and all those trapped in addictions, need our prayers.

from LAKEM0NSTER85 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

that's just what I want to trip over at 6 in the morn. would make one hell of a cover scent

from Steward wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I typically hunt public land in Missouri. So far, I haven't come across either. There is some public land, closed to normal hunting, that I like to visit just to hike and enjoy the woods, and learn more about deer behavior and movements. That land is closer to the city than I like. I once found someone's wallet and turned it in to the police. I don't think it's a good sign when the officer looks at the driver's license and say, "Oh...him."

from Alex Grimaudo wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I had no idea meth labs were such a big problem on public lands. I've found a bunch of pot-smoking apparatuses, but never anything related to meth (as far as I know). Any idea on what the chemicals left over in the meth lab materials do to wildlife that happen to stumble upon them?

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

It is simply amazing to me that people still do meth even when they know what the ingredients are. Draino, battery acid, fertilizer etc etc. Yeah that sounds like a good thing to be putting into your body.
I've never run across any meth labs but was definitely close to a pot grow operation. I couldn't see it but I sure could smell it.

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Be careful of coolers. Cruds also use them for meth labs. We had to caution our field officers about opening coolers in trunks of suspicious cars because alot of the time it is a meth lab. One wiff of that nasty stuff can ruin your lungs for good.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I agree with Sarge01. Be careful with coolers and also two liter soda bottles. The chemicals can really screw up your lungs, and can be explosive. Call your local law enforcement agency to take care of, they can contact a Hazmat team.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

pretty big problem in wisconsin. i fortunately have never ran across one. i really train my dog to never pick up or get into any kind of trash and possibly encountering a meth lab in the woods is one big reason why

from Tony Burge wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Should be a bounty paid on the pelt of any 'squirrel' cooking this poison.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from BackRoad600 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from LAKEM0NSTER85 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Alex Grimaudo wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Tony Burge wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Should be a bounty paid on the pelt of any 'squirrel' cooking this poison.