Kansas Woman Catches Two Giant Catfish, Keeps Them in Kiddie Pool

Field Notes

October 10, 2012

Kansas Woman Catches Two Giant Catfish, Keeps Them in Kiddie Pool

By Chad Love

What do you do as an encore to catching an 84lb. catfish? Why, catch a 100-pounder a few days later. And then keep both of them alive in a kiddie pool in your back yard. And name them.

From this story on kctv5.com:
Charlotte Pennington didn't rest on her laurels when she caught an 84-pound blue catfish Saturday. She hooked the monster while she was fishing with her boyfriend, Frank Sims, near Leavenworth, KS. ...Now, the 84-pound fish has a buddy in a kiddy pool, and she and her boyfriend have 184 pounds of fish on their hands. She named the two fish after her friend Norma, the one who has been keeping them alive in the aerator.

According to the story, Pennington caught the 100-pound blue on a trotline just three days after catching her previous-best 84-pounder. Both fish came from trotlines on the Missouri River, and both of them are now swimming around in a children's pool in Pennington's back yard. And both of them have names, "Norma 2" and Norma 3." Fortunately, however, Norma 2 and Norma 3 are both going back into the Missouri. Pennington tells reporters that she and her boyfriend are planning to release both fish.

from BackRoad600 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Uhh...interesting...I don't know anyone who releases catfish...much less after catching them on a trot line...This is rather odd...Don't know what else to say...

from tkbone wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Say "thank you!" I agree it's unusual for a trot-line fisherperson to release catfish, but would disagree that it's unusual in general for someone who catches catfish to release them. I frequently catch them fishing for other species and throw them back. I also see Jeremy Wade do it all the time on his TV show. Can't imagine that a 100 lb catfish would be better eating than a 3-5 pounder anyway.

from Quinton Schmelz... wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

so, it has come to this?

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Similar situation for me, but on a MUCH SMALLER scale. I remember 40 some years ago when my dad would put bullheads in my kiddie pool. They were only like an inch or so long, and I can remember the whole bunch huddling in a corner (Kiddie pools were square back then).

from BackRoad600 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago