Poll: Kodiak Island, AK is Best Hunting Destination With Worst Weather

Field Notes

October 01, 2012

Poll: Kodiak Island, AK is Best Hunting Destination With Worst Weather

By Chad Love

In an interesting twist on the traditional top 10 list, Gore-Tex maker W.L. Gore Associates conducted a survey to find the nation's top hunting destination...with the worst weather. And the top pick? Think really, really big bears and really, really wet conditions. Yep, Kodiak Island, Alaska.

From this story on flatheadbeacon.com:

“Serious hunter athletes know that the most exciting and rewarding hunts often involve battling the elements,” said David Dillon, hunting category leader for W.L. Gore & Associates. “Gore is committed to making sure hunters don’t miss any experience, or pass up any great hunting destination because of wind, rain, sleet, freezing temperatures or other challenging weather. We gear them up so they can stay out longer in any conditions and experience more. We hope this ‘Best Hunt / Worst Conditions’ list inspires some epic hunts for hard core hunters.

While Kodiak Island made the top spot, numbers two through ten aren't exactly full of warm sunshine and gentle breezes. Here's the rest of the list (in order)

Penobscot Bay / Stonington, Maine
South Central Montana / Northwest Wyoming
Black Hills and Badlands, South Dakota
Northwest Montana
Southwest Colorado
The Cascade Mountains, Washington and Coastal Oregon
The Big Woods, Western Wisconsin
Idaho Panhandle, Idaho
TIE: Central Nebraska / Platte River and The Low Country, South Carolina

Thoughts? Did your state make the list? Should it have? Make your case...

from tourneyking734 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Love seeing my home waters at #2!

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Are there any requirements to make it a best hunting destination? Unless you're sea-ducking, I can't sea where Stonington, Maine could make the list. Now I love my State, but growing up lobstering year round and being on the water my whole life, I'd much rather take on the elements in Stonington than I would be stuck out in the middle of the Alagash. So there's my argument. # 2 is my home state, and right around the corner, but it's not nearly intimidating enough to me to take the # 2 spot.

from SoDak hunter wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Not quit sure how the Black Hills and the Badlands can be grouped together, but I recommend everyone stay away because its absolutely aweful out there!! (sarcasm) As long as you don't mind 50-60MPH winds and blowing snow from time to time you got nothing to worry about. Even early antelope season can be fun, I have seen 90 degree weather on opening day then hunted in a blizzard 3 days later it can definetly be an adventure out here.

from tourneyking734 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Love seeing my home waters at #2!

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago