2nd Deer From Pennsylvania Farm Confirmed to be Infected With CWD

Field Notes

November 08, 2012

2nd Deer From Pennsylvania Farm Confirmed to be Infected With CWD

By Chad Love

While there have not yet been any definitive, research-based links between chronic wasting disease and game-farm der, the anecdotal evidence certainly keeps piling up. Pennslyvania recently discovered the state's first case of CWD, which came from a game-farm deer. Now, a second deer from the same facility has also tested positive.

From this story on pennlive.com:
A second deer from the deer farm in New Oxford, Adams County, has been confirmed to have been infected with chronic wasting disease, according to the state Department of Agriculture. The same deer enclosure on a 1.5-acre lot that also includes a residence at 1491 New Chester Road, New Oxford, was the site of Pennsylvania's first confirmed case of CWD, an always fatal disease in cervids like deer, elk and moose. Previous lab tests confirmed CWD Oct. 10 in a 3.5-year-old doe that died Oct. 4 in the enclosure.

That triggered the state's CWD response plan for action by agencies including Agriculture and the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Part of the plan called for the "depopulation" of all deer on the farm of the initial CWD confirmation, which is now referred to as "the index farm," according to Mathew Meals, deputy secretary of the state Department of Agriculture.

According to the story, one of the deer escaped during said "depopulation" of the game farm. Seven other deer culled from the farm tested negative for the disease. The discovery of the disease has triggered Pennsylvania's Chronic Wasting Disease Task Force to quarantine 27 other deer farms in 16 counties that had contact with the farm in question. Pennsylvania, according to the story, has a total of 1,100 deer farm containing some 23,000 captive deer.

Thoughts? Reaction?

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

The future of the State of Alabama. Courtesy of the Big Buck Project.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

I have a question. How does a deer "escape" a cull on a 1.5 acre high-fenced home lot?

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

The ONLY place CWD has ever turned up in Montana was in a game farm. That's a big part of why Montana voters cleaned up the game farm industry back in 2012. Biologically, economically and ethically, game farms are bad news.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

I have a question. Where does all that doe and buck urine we like to speed around come from? Game farms? If the Prion is not killed by heat or light and just lives pretty much forever as we hunters who use the stuff killing our own sport? Now you have me worried.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

CWD is not as big a deal as folks make it out to be, it's a new name for a problem that's always existed(in my opinion). What we have with "game farms" is a livestock situation similar to BSE in cattle......better quarantine that entire 1.5 acres cement the entire thing in!

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

This had me up some of last night. I am TOSSING ALL my attractants (made of packaged does and buck fluids). If the CWD is in in raised deer and an unscrupulous game farm owners (like that ever happens) sells that urine to a manufacturer and there is no way to kill the prion or what ever the hell it is, then we as hunters just introduced the damn thing in the wild at the worst possible place, the scrape or on a drag rag. Modern technology gone wild again. Great. Are we going to have to have the state inspect game farms now? Look how well that worked in the food industry.

I know, let pay big bucks to genetically engineer a deer that is immune. And while we are at it, lets do that for people to.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Redfishunter - Ditto.

Koldkut - Perhaps you don't understand the ramifications of CWD. It is caused by a malformed protein, not a bacteria, not a virus, and it's ALWAYS fatal. Prions can exist in the environment for years. Further, CWD does not kill quickly. An animal can be infected for years before it even shows symptoms, thus spreading prions all throughout it's home range and infecting other animals in the process. It is not yet known if CWD can affect humans as well, so once CWD is discovered, all harvested deer are usually required to be tested for CWD before the meat can be consumed. Testing and monitoring efforts costs hunters and state agencies millions, but yeah...no big deal right?

RockySquirrel - Your efforts to prevent the spread of CWD are appreciated. Though some will dismiss your actions as an over-reaction, few understand the ramifications of spreading CWD.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Bioguy; What is the best guess on how it is transmitted? The mad cow disease was but feeding infected cow parts and blood back to other cattle. Dear aren’t carnivorous.
I had heard a year or two ago about movement to self regulation the places that manufacture those lures. Then never hear again? I guess it is hard to regulate something that you don’t know it the animal has it until it is harvested.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Sorry about last post. Was out hunting all day and bone tired.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Bioguy, I do understand CWD....as I also understand BSE.....I live in cattle country Colorado. What I don't believe is that CWD is new.....I believe it's been around for a long time, it's just now there is a prevalence of game farms where it is occurring.

from IND_NRA wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

We have a game farm near here that received deer from a farm in PA that tested positive for CWD. 20 deer from that herd escaped this summer and now the Indiana DNR has asked hunters to dispatch any deer that they see with a tag in there ear. I hope and pray that this does not spread because of this issue. More later.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

The future of the State of Alabama. Courtesy of the Big Buck Project.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Redfishunter - Ditto.

from IND_NRA wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Sorry about last post. Was out hunting all day and bone tired.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago