The Future of Camo? Researchers Create Material That Makes Objects Invisible

Field Notes

November 13, 2012

The Future of Camo? Researchers Create Material That Makes Objects Invisible

By Chad Love

Camouflage designers generally take their inspiration from things found in nature: trees, leaves, dirt, rocks, brush, that sort of thing. That's cool and all, but camouflage designers of the future might very well be taking their inspiration from...Harry Potter? Researchers at Duke University say they've perfected a material that truly does make an object invisible.

From this story on slate.com:

After years of less successful attempts, scientists at Duke University have created a perfect "invisibility cloak"—but it's not quite as good as the one a certain boy wizard led us to expect. Researchers managed to shuttle light around an object so precisely that there are no reflections by using a diamond-shaped cloaking region. Of course, there's a catch: Namely, it only works in one direction. "It's like the card people in Alice in Wonderland," a researcher explained. "If they turn on their sides, you can't see them, but they're obviously visible if you look from the other direction."

According to the story, the "invisibility cloak" also only really works with microwaves, not optical wavelengths, so the days of making hunting gear out of this or similar light-bending fabric are still quite some time in the future. But still, the possibilities are intriguing, and it's not implausible to imagine hunters in the future actually wearing some sort of refractory, light-bending fabric instead of today's patterns. What do you think the camo of the future will be?

from small game sportsman wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

thats really cool. this will be interesting to watch as this technology progresses

from Alex Grimaudo wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

This is great for still-hunters. But it won't beat old-fashioned stealth.

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

The fact that most game smell us before they see us makes most of this seem to be a moot question, truly( and I mean 100%, no advertising b@llsh*t) eliminating our scent is the real breakthrough.

from johnjf wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

So stupid, if I can be invisible I'd be killing the biggest buck in the woods without any problem unless he scented me. This stuff is getting out of hand. Enough with all the crap about trying to be invisible and as scent free as possible. I don't wear camo and I have deer stare at me and not even notice I was there when I didn't move. They would keep moving on and continue feeding, etc.

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from johnjf wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from Alex Grimaudo wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

This is great for still-hunters. But it won't beat old-fashioned stealth.

from small game sportsman wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago