What Was Your Best Mixed-Bag Hunt?

Field Notes

November 16, 2012

What Was Your Best Mixed-Bag Hunt?

By Chad Love

Now this is what I call a mixed-bag hunt...

From this blog post on nebraskalandmagazine.com:
I am old enough to remember “back in the day” when NEBRASKAland magazine used to have little advertisements in the magazine that bragged about Nebraska being the “Mixed Bag Capital of the World”.  That was mostly a reference to our diverse upland game hunting opportunities, but I believe it is still true and still describes the hunting, fishing and trapping opportunities we have in Nebraska.  In addition, we have relatively long open seasons for a number of game species and of course our fishing “season” is open all the time. To prove my point, let me share some pictures of the recent success experienced by one Nebraska hunter. . . . Justin is a friend of many of us here in my office and a couple weeks ago he sent us some pictures.  He had drawn a Nebraska elk tag and was successful in harvesting a cow elk.  That elk was taken in the morning which left plenty of time for some additional turkey and upland bird hunting later in the day.  By late afternoon they barely had enough room in their pickup to haul all the game!

Wow. I'd say that was a pretty good mixed-bag hunt. What was your best or most most varied mixed-bag hunting day?

from Karljthiessen wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Great topic.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Wow. I'm envious.

from Themasterdan wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

While going to college in Northern Idaho I had a pretty full day. I shot the following:
1 Bull Elk
1 Whitetail Deer
10 California Quail
3 Pheasants
2 Blue Grouse
3 Sharptail grouse
4 Huns

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

On Thanksgiving morning five years ago I shot a nice muley buck and then on the way home I stopped in the valley and let my lab pup out. We had a limit of roosters in about forty minutes. A photo is in my profile collection.

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Last year I started the day by catching a South Dakota paddle fish, shifted to upland game and shot 3 sharptails and a pheasant.

from davycrockettfv wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

I currently only dream about such things. Here's to the future and opportunities to come!!!

from blevenson wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

3 ducks, 2 pheasants, and my first whitetail with with a bow all in one day. The whitetail with the bow made that a super special day.

from fishead wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

N.C. sucks

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from clinchknot wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

One time I shot an opposum, a polecat, a racoon, two coots, and this other hairy thing that was the worst to clean/ smellin of all of'um. I was huntin in Tennessee for the very first time, and sure enough got stopped by the Game Warden the next day. When I told him how I'd done the day before, and I couldn't find the big hairy thing in the Game Pamphet he said, "Oh my God!..you shot a hillbilly!"

from HogBlog wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

FishHead, NC isn't all that bad. I've had a couple of good, mixed bag days there.

Most diverse was a morning offshore catching king mackerel, followed by a stop in the pasture to shoot a handful of doves, and ending with an evening in the deerstand and a fat, whitetail doe.

I've also taken wood ducks, teal, squirrels, quail, and missed a deer in the same day.

Where I am now, in TX, I missed my first chance to take turkey and whitetail in the same morning... but I get to keep trying until January.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Dad and I shot two elk and a nice doe one afternoon in 1972. I think that photo is in the collection too. Not terribly mixed bag but a helluva load in the back of that spongy coil spring Chev pickup. Steering that overloaded rig required some herding expertise!

from amoor983 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

May I present the upland quadruple slam- pheasant, bobwhite quail, prairie chicken, and turkey, from one property, in one day. I am still working on it, but it is possible on the single property where I live in southwest Nebraska.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

amour....Are all 4 of those bird's seasons open at one time?

from Themasterdan wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from blevenson wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from amoor983 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

amour....Are all 4 of those bird's seasons open at one time?

from fishead wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago