New Law: Oklahoma Hunters Can Now Use Suppressors on Private Land

Field Notes

November 02, 2012

New Law: Oklahoma Hunters Can Now Use Suppressors on Private Land

By Chad Love

Sooner State hunters who legally own suppressors can now hunt with them under a law that just went into effect yesterday.

From this story on newsok.com
Gov. Mary Fallin on Friday signed into law Senate Bill 1743 that allows hunters to use suppressors, or silencers, when hunting on their own land or with permission of the landowner.

The law becomes effective Nov. 1. State lawmakers earlier in the week passed an amended version of the original bill which carries harsher punishment for hunters using a noise suppressor while committing a game violation. Anyone convicted of a wildlife offense while using a noise suppressor when hunting could face an additional fine of $500 to $1,000 over the normal fine for that specific game violation. The Oklahoma State Game Wardens Association had opposed the legislation.

Any Oklahoma hunters plan on getting a permit from ATF and trying their hand at hunting with a suppressor? I got the chance to fire a suppressed Smith & Wesson AR at SHOT last year, and I have to admit, it got me thinking about hunting with one.

from IND_NRA wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

This is great news, another win for true sportsman. Looks like the fine for NON sportsman went up and that is great news too. If you don't already a suppressor you won't be hunting with one this year my last wait was 6 months.

from Hannay wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I'm an Oklahoman hunter and would definitely like to get started on buying (at least) one so that I can use it next year. I live and hunt near the edge of town and think being able to practice and shoot deer without being so loud would be great.

I know there is a 6+ month wait and I know that the FFL has to have a special license. Beyond that, I am trying to decide if I should buy a special rifle intended to shoot subsonic loads (e.g. AR-15 in 300 Blackout) or just buy something like a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 with a threaded muzzle. And which suppressor to go with?

Advice or links to useful web sites would be appreciated. Thanks!

from Sb Wacker wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

In northern europe Suppressors are a health and safety innovation. In southern europe the sign of a poacher, in Finland they may become mandatory as not using one would be putting your dogs hearing at risk and therefore tantamount to animal cruelty.

SBW

from BackRoad600 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

nah...don't think I'll be getting one...the marlin 336 with a 4x magnification scope on it works just fine...

from IND_NRA wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

SBW

from Hannay wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Advice or links to useful web sites would be appreciated. Thanks!

from BackRoad600 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago