Hunters Capture 130-Pound, 16-Foot Burmese Python in the Everglades

Field Notes

November 26, 2012

Hunters Capture 130-Pound, 16-Foot Burmese Python in the Everglades

By Chad Love

We all have our cherished, time-honored Thanksgiving hunting traditions. Some of us deer hunt, some of us chase quail or pheasants, and some of us go out into the field in search of a traditional Thanksgiving python. Just like the Pilgrims did.

From this story on Huffington Post:

Two South Florida men had a thrilling encounter with one of our most notorious invasive species, the Burmese python, and they captured it all on a helmet camera. Python hunters Ruben Ramirez and George Brana found the snake, which measured 16 feet 8 inches long and weighed 130 pounds, on a canal bank in the Everglades...Ramirez and Brana's python was just short of the record-breaking python caught in the Everglades in August that measured 17 and half feet and 164 pounds.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Lots of them in the Everglades now. Use to be only a mosquito problem. Now an unsuspecting hunter can be the hunted. I don't like to hunt with my head on a swivel walking in circles.

from JPMNTMAN wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Couple of years ago in AZ I was hunting white tail when I found a set of huge lion tracks around a water hole. After missing a few buck I walked out and came back the next day. It was then I discovered the cat had found my track that night at the water hole and walked the same route I did out to my truck approx 3 miles. Never saw the cat but I never went back there again either

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago