Wisconsin DNR Creates App, Tells Hunters When it's Legal to Shoot

Field Notes

November 01, 2012

Wisconsin DNR Creates App, Tells Hunters When it's Legal to Shoot

By Chad Love

If you're a little iffy on when, exactly, legal shooting time begins in relation to sunrise/sunset times, there's an app for that. It's called your wristwatch and a copy of the hunting regulations. But if you don't happen to have either a wristwatch or a copy of the hunting regulations with a sunrise/sunset table, there actually is an app for that. At least if you live in Wisconsin.

From this story on weau.com

A new app is designed to help hunters know when to pull the trigger. The "Sunrise-Sunset" app will tell hunters what time it is legal to shoot a gun based on where they are. The state Department of Natural Resources Bureau of Law Enforcement developed the new app and tested it with state game wardens before releasing it for Android phones. It is not yet available for iPhones. The app uses GPS to determine where the user is and what the opening and closing times are for various hunting seasons in that location. The app can also show opening and closing times for other locations in the state and future dates. The app costs 99 cents to download.

That's actually a really cool idea. Any other states have a similar legal shooting time app?

from thequam wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

I'm sorry, I live and hunt in wisconsin and have my entire life and I feel this is utterly ridiculous. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying that but this is entirely unnecessary. Look at the regs and do the math, maybe a common sense app would help us out!!

from bigrossi wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Sounds like a great idea . Maybe other states will follow. Not everyone bothers to see precicely when shooting time is in your location !

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

There already is an App out there that doesn that...its called shooting hours by HuntGeek. It uses your location and can be programed for 1 hour before/after sunrise or sunset, 1/2 hour before/after sunrise or sunset, sunrise or sunset, etc. You can even customize your shooting times.

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

What I think someone should do, is make an app that uses your GPS location, and can tell you at any given location what seasons are in, or with what firearms.

This would be quite useful if you are hunting say deer out of state, and get a chance at a coyote or turkey something like that. Pull up the app and see if either are in season.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Geez. Where I hunt, it is generally too dark to get a good look at antlers well inside the legal shooting hours. Most days it is way too dark at the end of shooting hours to identify a legal animal. Look at your GPS sunrise & sunset times and add/subtact 30 minutes.....

from chuckles wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Most of the places I hunt you can see well enough to shoot safely after sunset but "shooting light" seems to correlate very closely with legal shooting hours which in MN is 1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hr after sunset. I have never felt that I was losing out by staying safe which for me means being able to clearly identify both the target, where I am going to shoot it and possible obstacles between me and the target.

from thequam wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago