IL Man Fined for Illegally Collecting Whitetail Deer Semen

Field Notes

December 20, 2012

IL Man Fined for Illegally Collecting Whitetail Deer Semen

By Chad Love

If you didn't think the craze for creating big bucks at any cost could get worse, or weirder, then read on.*

From this story on the Dallas Morning News
An Illinois geneticist must pay $30,000 and serve three years of probation for illegally obtaining valuable semen from whitetail deer in East Texas. A federal judge in Tyler sentenced 55-year-old Raymond Favero of Braidwood, Ill. Favero in July pleaded guilty to wrongful acquisition of wildlife in interstate commerce. Texas law bars importing live whitetail deer or mule deer amid concerns about transmittable diseases. Prosecutors on Wednesday said Favero must also pay a $6,000 fine and $24,000 to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Federation.

According to the story, Favero "acquired" (thankfully, they don't say how...) whitetail deer semen from a buck in Cherokee County in 2007 that he knew was illegally transported from an out-of-state source. How much was it worth? A cool $92,000. Investigators say Favero did it again in 2008, collecting semen from another freakish buck that had been illegally transported to Texas.

Free enterprise system at work, or yet another example of out-of-control antler madness?

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

My vote is for "out-of-control antler madness."

from chuckles wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Imagine trying to explain that in a job interview.

from rock rat wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I'll admit to harvesting more than a couple deer. But what that fella was doing sounds just unnatural to me. I can't understand all that money just to have his way with a deer.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I agree, Rock Rat. There's just no accounting for the strange ways some folks get their jollies. What is it our beloved Red Green says? "If the deer don't find you handsome, they should at least find you HANDY!" Yeah, I wonder what he WOULD put on his resume. Demolitions expert? He apparently knows how to handle explosions. Heh, heh!

That's deer hunting in Texas. Doesn't get any nuttier!

from rock rat wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

My vote is for "out-of-control antler madness."

from chuckles wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Imagine trying to explain that in a job interview.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

That's deer hunting in Texas. Doesn't get any nuttier!