Officials Lay Groundwork for Limited Grizzly Bear Hunts in the Lower 48

Field Notes

December 05, 2012

Officials Lay Groundwork for Limited Grizzly Bear Hunts in the Lower 48

By Chad Love

It's looking more and more like federal officials are laying the groundwork for the return of limited grizzly bear hunting in the lower 48.

From this story in the Missoulian:
With bear-human conflicts on the rise, wildlife managers in the Northern Rockies are laying the groundwork for trophy hunts for grizzlies in anticipation of the government lifting their threatened species status. It’s expected to be 2014 before about 600 bears around Yellowstone National Park lose their federal protections, and possibly longer for about 1,000 bears in the region centered on Glacier National Park.

Yet already government officials say those populations have recovered to the point that limited hunting for small numbers of bears could occur after protections are lifted – and without harm to the species’ decades-long recovery. That could include hunts in areas of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho where run-ins with humans and livestock attacks have increased in recent years.

According to the story, while there is still widespread opposition to lifting the grizzly's protections and allowing hunting, state and federal officials say hunting grizzlies is simply a management tool just as it is for any other big-game species. A federal-state bear oversight committee is meeting next week in Montana and will consider adopting a policy that favors limited hunting of grizzlies.

If approved, would a lower 48 grizzly hunt quickly become the most coveted tag in North America?

from hhack wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

For me the most coveted tags will be sheep tags. I do think that a grizzly hunt will go along way to help reduce the number of bad grizzly/human interactions. The grizzlies in the Wyoming Wilderness outside the park are becoming accustomed to taking kills from humans. Hopefully with a little hunting pressure the bears will keep their distance and less will need to be killed in confrontations.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Dunno about this one. Too many flatlander city folks wanting to take walks where man has never gone before. Blame the good boot makers maybe. "Just look at that cub down there! Ain't he cute!"

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

If the damn tactical/zombie apocalypse phase ends, I could see hunters looking for true dangerous game getting on board. I only hope that wildlife management officers work their hardest to make sure the populations aren't instantly damaged and back to threatened status.

from jdwood wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I honestly think this can only be a good thing, if we want to manage populations so that they exist in numbers that can meld with society, we need to allow the states to manage them. Its just like the wolf population, management goals will be set and a quota would be in place, sound management of Grizzlies would be beneficial, especially to states with daunting fiscal problems. These tags would probably be very limited trophy tags that could fetch a large sum.

I love being able to go to the parks and see wildlife, its the best part. But with growing populations and young individuals striking out or being relocated because of nuisance complaints, these increases in human-wildlife conflicts are inevitably going to rise. Large mammals are adjusting/evolving to deal with the encroachment of humans on their habitat.

Hope this works out, but somehow I have a feeling this will be dragged out in the courts for a long time as environmental activists/groups sue the government over this. Wish those wack jobs would get a life and understand wildlife management better.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Nature on the fly. Those anti guys would never let that happen. They litigate, chastise, and the harvested numbers provided never get reached...the hunts shutdown before the totals are met. I've got negative thoughts about govt, and govt agencies. They see an easy revenue stream. Limited Grizzly permits might be put out at $30,000 ea. and no problem for the rich guys. Drive within 30 yds of a Grizzly, and shoot it like they do those Buffalo hunts. Sad world we live in today. Glad I got to see the best of it in the bigone days.

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

@clinchknot, yeah I can definitely see that. Unfortunately I've only spent a little over 20 years on the planet and not gotten to experience things the way they used (otta') be. I also wish the cost and setup of what seems to be the typical guided 'hunt' would change. I am a long ways off from the money to ever afford one of these 'hunts' as well the concession of my pride by shooting any creatures on the terms like what you have mentioned.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

nature..
There was an owner of one of the big box sporting good stores. He wrote what a great hunt he had for an exotic sheep I think it was. Cost was only $40,000 for the tag so he got one for his wife as well. The guys working in the gun dept. for wages just shook their heads.

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Hi...

I'm pretty sure that such a tag will be VERY coveted.

Hey...to be able to hunt grizzly in the lower 48?

Oh yeah...it'll be coveted...!!

from jay wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Yeah, I'd say desert sheep tags would be most coveted if you mean most expensive, sought after tags. You can go kill a grizzly and moose in canada for about $20,000. Some of the desert sheep tags I've seen can easily run 40,50 and even 60 thousand in mexico.

from jay wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Heck, even governor tags for sheep run well over $100,000 for the tag. I believe the one last year went over $200,000 in colorado. The guy that owns Jimmy Johns bought it.

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

This done right could be very helpful to grizzly populations. And serve to curb some of the bears increasing habituation to humans. I think out of staters should or need to be with a guide. Otherwise the whole country could get shot up. Heavan forbid some rich dentist from Texas get mauled for beign stupid, the state F&G, FWS get sued because the bear he was hunting was "to aggressive" and we lose the whole deal. The first few years need to be very structured to ensure good success of the plan. Next we need to begin a plan to restore grizzlies to their historic great plains ranges.

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

those $$ figures are absurd...wow.

from hhack wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Hi...

I'm pretty sure that such a tag will be VERY coveted.

Hey...to be able to hunt grizzly in the lower 48?

Oh yeah...it'll be coveted...!!

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from jdwood wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

nature..

from jay wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from jay wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

those $$ figures are absurd...wow.