Oklahoma Deer Hunter Tags Rare Antlered Doe

Field Notes

December 03, 2012

Oklahoma Deer Hunter Tags Rare Antlered Doe

By Chad Love

Almost anyone not missing a chromosome or two will agree that it's just not cool to walk up to a female and utter the words "nice rack." But in this case, well, it's true...

From this story on Oklahoma's kfor.com
It sounds more like a legend or a myth than real life, and for avid Kingfisher County hunters, it certainly feels like it when one man shot a deer unlike any other. Deer trophies shot by Rodney Mueggenborg across the decades hang in his garage but the one he will never forget is one that’s not even up there. “I have been hunting 32 years and never seen anything like it before,” Mueggenborg said. “It was a beautiful, healthy doe with horns.” That’s a sight many hunters will never see. It was brought to Mueggenborg by Jeremie Hill. Hill shot it within the first 20 minutes of a hunting trip with his son. “Your nerves start shaking,” Hill said. “You start shaking to see if you can actually hope you hit it and you hear the shot go off. You hear it hit the deer and right then it dropped.” Hill and his 8-year-old son, Blake, thought they shot a buck. Once they got to Mueggenborg’s farm to skin the deer, they realized the rare kill they had on hand.

Antlered does are rare, but not unheard of. Anyone ever shoot a doe with a...nice rack?

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I shot a small (fork horn)doe. It was near the end of November of 99. I was hunting with my brother and deer season was nearing an end. This small buck (I thought at the time) stepped out into a little clearing and I decided to take it. After a short tracking job my brother and I walk up on it only to find that its antlers were in velvet. I thought this was really bizarre but there would probably be a logical explanation. (such as the deer had injured himself (down there). Nope, this was 100% doe. I still have those velvet antlers stuffed someplace. Which isn't quite like your normal velvet but really fuzzy and long.

from rvanroe wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Is foreplay with an antlered doe like a good buck fight? If you win with the antlers you get to breed, if you lose, you get no prize???

from capt.seagull wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

thats so cool!

from Dcast wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

This deer was no doubt a proponent of Prop 8, and merely wanted be like the boys!

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Oklahoma: Represent! Even our lady deer are more manly than your bucks.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

That would definitely be worth a taxidermy mount in my book.

from dasmith wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I didn't know that they were so rare, I thought everybody had heard of them.

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from rvanroe wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from capt.seagull wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

thats so cool!

from Dcast wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Oklahoma: Represent! Even our lady deer are more manly than your bucks.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

That would definitely be worth a taxidermy mount in my book.

from dasmith wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I didn't know that they were so rare, I thought everybody had heard of them.