Louisiana Police Officers Accused of Jacklighting Deer While on Duty

Field Notes

January 10, 2013

Louisiana Police Officers Accused of Jacklighting Deer While on Duty

By Chad Love

Three Louisiana law enforcement officers are on the other side of the law after allegedly spotlighting deer.

From this story on Louisiana Sportsman:
Two Winnsboro police officers and a Franklin Parish Detention Center corrections officer were cited earlier this week for allegedly shooting deer at night, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries said.LDWF agents cited 31-year-old Winnsboro City Police Officer Joshua Martin of Winnsboro, and 22-year-old Franklin Parish Detention Center Corrections Officer Hunter Guimbellot of Winnsboro on Jan. 5 for taking a deer during illegal hours using artificial light and hunting from a moving vehicle. Agents also cited 34-year-old Winnsboro City Police Officer Chester Coleman of Enterprise on Jan. 7 for taking a deer during illegal hours using artificial light, hunting from a moving vehicle, failing to comply with deer tagging requirements, and hunting without basic and big game licenses.

According to the story, one of the officers was allegedly was on duty at the time, and reportedly shot the deer from his cruiser. The three men then allegedly put the deer into the trunk of the patrol vehicle.  Thoughts? Is it always more disappointing to hear of wildlife violations involving those who should be serving as role models?

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Hi...

Yes..of course it's more disappointing...them being roll models and all.

If the story happens to be true...hang the rats...I'll buy the rope...!! (Figuratively speaking, of course)...!!

If true, I wonder how lightly they'll get off... ??

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I lived for the better part of a year in New Orleans twenty-five years ago. Corruption of government officials was rampant back then. It was right out in the open. Things must have improved a lot down there for these guys to even get cited. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Stay tuned!

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Just as bad are the Boulder cops and their elk.....

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Yeah a cop shot a huge buck in a small town I lived in 20 years ago. He was on duty, sitting in his police cruiser, using a spotlight, and he shot it with his pistol right across from a Waffle House. Everyone in town knew about it and nothing was ever done.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

If they are convicted, I'm sure they will lose their jobs and police certifications. That is beside the criminal penalties they will face.

from capt.seagull wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

what these guys are crazy

from FishnFast wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

If you commit a crime and hurt a PO in the act your punishment is harder,should also be that all law enforcement that breaks the law should be punished harder...period
Enough said

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

The Nixon Doctrine at work. If the government does it, it isn't illegal.

The Republican disease: the gift that keeps on giving.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from yanzi wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

The most cruel thing in the world is not never met a love but encounter but ultimately missed www.lilydating.com

from GERG wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Genius. Police officers really? Throw thier own book at them

from Daniel Allison wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I don't see where it mentioned Nixon in the article. I also remember LBJ and FDR as being really crooked.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Cops... They're all the same. Save and protect my a$$. Let's go out and see what we can get away with.

from rfleer87 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Very disappointing of police officers spotlighting deer then other people, they should know not to do that. They should not be able to hunt for a couple of years

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

A few years ago, there was a story of a park ranger or Fish and Game Officer selling drugs (like Meth or cocaine) at night out of his patrol SUV. I forget what state it was in, but it was a running joke for a while where I worked. If I remember, an undercover drug agent caught him. My goes the agent, when he found out WHO had trouble controlling his laughter.

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Hi...

Yes..of course it's more disappointing...them being roll models and all.

If true, I wonder how lightly they'll get off... ??

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Just as bad are the Boulder cops and their elk.....

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from capt.seagull wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

what these guys are crazy

from FishnFast wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Enough said

from yanzi wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from GERG wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Genius. Police officers really? Throw thier own book at them

from Daniel Allison wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from rfleer87 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

The Nixon Doctrine at work. If the government does it, it isn't illegal.

The Republican disease: the gift that keeps on giving.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report