Officials: Fine Not Stiff Enough in Illegal VT Hunting Preserve Case

Field Notes

January 07, 2013

Officials: Fine Not Stiff Enough in Illegal VT Hunting Preserve Case

By Chad Love

A recent investigation into an illegal shooting preserve in Vermont that resulted in an underwhelming fine has many in the state asking for tougher penalties for such wildlife violations.

From this story on wcax.com:
The commissioner of the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department says recent allegations of an illegal hunting preserve in Fairlee shows a need for tougher penalties. 51 year old Steven Hill and 21 year old Chiaki Ito of Fairlee are accused of operating an unlicensed captive hunting facility there. Prosecutors say they charged customers up to $6,000 to hunt exotic animals. But, the pair only currently face about $7,000 in penalties. Fish & Wildlife officials say that's not enough.

According to the story, two undercover wardens paid the pair $750 to hunt a "Spanish goat" and a "wild boar." Officials say that most of the sportsman who have contacted them are in full support of stiffer fines for illegal hunting operations. Do states need to start hitting illegal hunting operations harder in the wallet?

from jdwood wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I think so, if there were stiffer penalties I think people would think a little bit harder about crossing the line. SOME (not all, some states do a good job) penalties are a slap in the face to ethical sportsmen especially when a higher penalty is suggested then lessened in court. Throw the book at them, they'll hopefully learn and others will too if they understand how their wallet could be affected.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Are we talking about some guy with exotic livestock that lets folks pay to shoot them? The way I see it, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, is if someone owns the animals in a high fence area, it should not be considered hunting, in the same way that a private pond stocked by private stocking is not required to follow state fishing regs necessarily(some states may differ).

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Hi...

The post says it was operating an unlicensed, ILLEGAL hunting preserve.

Yes, I feel that States SHOULD hit these illegal operations harder in their pocketbooks.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

The only crime is they simply did not ask the governments permission and pay their permit fee. I bet the permit fee was much less than $7,000. I feel the fine is adequate.

from Ohio Mountaineer wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I personally feel that all violations for hunting laws should be stiffer.

from JohnR wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I read the comments after the article and Buckhunter is correct. They were busted because they didn't apply for a permit. Evidently there are several LEGAL hunting preserves in the area and all are permitted.
Preserve hunting is not my cup of tea, however if all the hubub is because they failed to obtain a permit, then the $7,000 fine is OK. The ones that are screaming the loudest appear to be the animal rights activists who oppose hunting in any way, shape, or form.

from jack1466 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Fine should have been,every dollar they charged everyone,plus the $7000.00...

from redtailhawk wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

The problem with not getting the permits is when one of the animals escapes and my cattle or other livestock gets infected from their lack of inoculation or a non native fish gets into the river that runs along my property. The permits can prevent bad or stupid things from happening. A less expensive action then trying to fix a problem

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from jdwood wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Hi...

The post says it was operating an unlicensed, ILLEGAL hunting preserve.

from Ohio Mountaineer wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I personally feel that all violations for hunting laws should be stiffer.

from JohnR wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from jack1466 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Fine should have been,every dollar they charged everyone,plus the $7000.00...

from redtailhawk wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago