Rhino Gores Woman After She Takes Photo from Close Range

Field Notes

January 16, 2013

Rhino Gores Woman After She Takes Photo from Close Range

By Chad Love

Note to self: Next time someone urges you to "stand a little closer" to a rhinoceros, don't.

From this story on cbsnews.com
When do you not listen to the African wildlife expert? When he tells you to stand closer to the rhino. That suggestion by a South African game park owner resulted in serious injuries to a 24-year-old woman from Johannesburg. The Beeld newspaper reported Tuesday that Chantal Beyer said the game park owner snapped pictures and suggested that she "stand just a little bit closer" seconds before the attack. Photos show Beyer and her husband only feet away from two rhinos.

According to the story, just after the photo got snapped, apparently, so did the rhino, which suddenly charged the couple. The wife was gored and suffered a collapsed lung and broken ribs. Bad deal for them, to be sure, but do you think they placed a little too much trust in their guide? Would you take a chance like that?

from TM wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Wild animals don't know about photo ops. You're unlikely to convince them voluntarily to participate in your fun. Best to treat them like wild animals and give them a wide berth.

from ckrogman wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I say revoke the husband's man card for not standing between his wife and the rhino.

Seriously though, no way...guide should have known better, people should have known better.

Mess with the bull (or rhino) and get the horns

from Michael Jager wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

She is from South Africa, she should have known how dangerous those animals are.

I say she deserves a Darwin award.

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Hi...

Let me see now...huge WILD animals the size of two Ford 550 4X4s...minding their own business...and having weapons long and sharp enough to go through the largest wart hog and toss it for several yards...and you're encroaching on their space, right?

Gee, what could possibly go wrong...?? (I hope you didn't pay your "wildlife expert" in advance)...!!

from RealGoodMan wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

That's horrible. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone, except S.A.'s poachers.

from Drover1 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Sorry she was hurt, but it still reminds me of the old “Far Side” cartoon: A rhino staring down a guy dressed up as a silly clown in the tall grass, with the caption something like “The African Black Rhino, an animal with little to no sense of humor.”

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

My first thought is that the guy should be between the rhino and his wife. I feel bad for the girl. She has a hole in her chest and a sissy husband.

from jay wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I would only feel safe if I was getting my photo with Chuck Norris.

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Adventure tourism can and often does go wrong. The last time I was that close to a rhino, I was behind a serious fence. The lady may have thought her guide was not willing to put her life in danger but found out otherwise the hard way. I doubt that the guide got a sizeable tip from them.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

These white rhino are somewhat more docile than black rhino. But all kifaro are temperamental, unpredictable, and not too bright. Chuck Norris is way too smart to get that close to even these ranch animals.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Should have written vifaru, not kifaro

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I would only stand that close to two rhinos if it was taxidermy mount.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

When I read the title, I thought Al Gore had sold his TV station to another Middle Eastern owned oil and pro-terrorist company. I'm not sure which scenario is the most inconvient truth.
Perhaps life would be better if Al Gore would stand next to a Rhino.Now that would be funny.

from 268bull wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

This story is almost to good to be true, and then incredibly sad, all at the same time. If your that stupid to be talked into doing this ( by a wildlife expert ?? ) then I guess you get what you deserve. What was that Forrest Gump quote, " stupid gets as stupid is " or something to that effect. I hope that they were smart enough to ask for their money refunded!

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Hi...

from jay wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I would only feel safe if I was getting my photo with Chuck Norris.

from TM wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from ckrogman wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Mess with the bull (or rhino) and get the horns

from Michael Jager wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I say she deserves a Darwin award.

from RealGoodMan wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

That's horrible. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone, except S.A.'s poachers.

from Drover1 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I would only stand that close to two rhinos if it was taxidermy mount.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago