Scientists Discover New Mystery Disease Carried by Deer Ticks

Field Notes

January 23, 2013

Scientists Discover New Mystery Disease Carried by Deer Ticks

By Chad Love

Better stock up on DEET. Scientists announced the discovery of yet-another nasty deer tick-borne disease.

From this story on msnbc.com:
U.S. scientists have discovered a new deer tick-borne disease in humans, with the viral-like illness sharing similarities both with Lyme disease and relapsing fever infections. The as-yet unnamed ailment is one of five caused by the Borrelia miyamotoi pathogen carried by blacklegged ticks, said Dr. Peter Krause, senior research scientist at Yale School of Public Health and lead author of a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Thursday. A distant relative of Lyme, the bacterium was first found in ticks in Japan in 1995, and then was identified by Yale researchers in Connecticut in 2001 and again in Russia in 2011, the study said. The illness also can resemble another disease caused by a bacterium in the Borrelia family transmitted by ticks and body lice that is marked by repeated episodes of fever.

According to the story, symptoms of the illness include fever, aches, headaches and fatigue, with some patients also developing a rash. But what sets this new illness apart is the recurrence of fever in some patients. Apparently, the fever keeps coming back, which differs from Lyme disease. Patients not treated with antibiotics after their first bout of fever often had the fever return a week or so later. The good news is antibiotics used to treat Lyme seem to work well with this new mystery illness. The bad news is occurrences of the disease have been found not only in the traditional Lyme areas of the northeast and upper midwest, but in far western states as well, and, not surprisingly, seems to occur more frequently in spring, summer and early fall.

Anyone had symptoms similar to those described in the article? Maybe it's not just Lyme disease...

from Marine ATC wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Nasty, nasty little critters...

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I hate !@&#!@&# ticks!

from yanzi wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Asian Dating-Love is a two-player game, and not allowed to have a third party to appear. www.lilydating.com

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from silsbyj wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

A friend of mine was unfortunate enough to get this last year. Being a stubborn cowboy, he waited it out to get better and eventually was hospitalized when his liver started to shut down. Took almost a month for him to completely recover.

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

This year the weather was warm right up to our deer season in Nov. While skinning our deer ( 8 one day) I found 9 ticks on me after we finished skinning. Being Thankgiving I came home for Thanksgiving dinner and my Wife found two more in my hair. Our deer had on the average of 10 to 12 ticks under their front legs when we skinned them. Thanks goodness I found them before they had a chance to attach.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Nasty little creatures!!

from deckerrobert38@... wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I've spent a lot of time in the fields and woods since the mid '50s: hunting, fishing, exploring. Never had a deer tick on me. Now my outdoor cat might have three or four deer ticks each day except in winter.
Also, we rarely saw a deer in our rural back yard; now they walk right through our suburb. There were two just five feet off our deck today.
PS: My wife has had Lyme disease for 7 years. Has taken years of antibiotics. Any advice for a cure.

from silsbyj wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Marine ATC wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Nasty, nasty little critters...

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago