Study: Cats Kill Billions of Birds and Mammals Annually

Man's Best Friend

February 01, 2013

Study: Cats Kill Billions of Birds and Mammals Annually

By Chad Love

It's no secret that free-roaming cats are a problem in this country. As both an avid birder and bird hunter, it's a topic of particular concern to me, as I live in a rural area and must contend with feral cats on a near-continuous basis. Last year I blogged about a study that showed what efficient killers domestic housecats are; how housecats and feral cats do a number on gamebirds; and the numerous studies that show the tremendous toll cats take on wildlife. But the results of a just-released three-year study conducted by Smithsonian and the US Fish & Wildlife Service make it clear that the problem is even larger than previously thought.

From this story in USA Today:
Cats that live in the wild or indoor pets allowed to roam outdoors kill from 1.4 billion to as many as 3.7 billion birds in the continental U.S. each year, says a new study that escalates a decades-old debate over the feline threat to native animals. The estimates are much higher than the hundreds of millions of annual bird deaths previously attributed to cats. The study also says that from 6.9 billion to as many as 20.7 billion mammals — mainly mice, shrews, rabbits and voles — are killed by cats annually in the contiguous 48 states. The report is scheduled to be published Tuesday in Nature Communications. "I was stunned," said ornithologist Peter Marra of the Smithsonian's Conservation Biology Institute. He and Smithsonian colleague Scott Loss, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist Tom Will conducted the study.

Yes, that's right. Billions. According to the story, the study reveals that free-ranging cats are likely the single greatest source of mortality for birds and mammals in the United States. The study is also critical of one of the more ridiculous schemes to deal with feral cats; the so-called "TNR" programs (for Trap-Nueter-Release) that feral cat advocacy groups love, calling them "potentially harmful to wildlife populations" because such programs simply return feral cats to the wild to continue killing wildlife.

The study also tried to put a number to just how many unowned cats there are in the U.S., with the estimate being anywhere from 30 to upwards of 80 million cats. Of course, cat lovers have been pushing back against the study, saying the felines are just convenient scapegoats for habitat loss, window and vehicle collisions, and other man-made hazards. I'd argue that feral cats ARE a man-made hazard, one that something should be done about.

There's now an admittedly Quixote-like push to eventually get rid of cats in New Zealand in order to save that nation's endangered biodiversity and I'd love to see something similar happen in this country, if for nothing else than to raise awareness of the issue. Very few people tolerate dogs running wild, so why do so many in this country think it's OK to let cats do the same? Agree or disagree?

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Always been a fan of Corey Ford's "Tiger Hunting for the Man of Modest Means," about hunting feral cats. :-)

from srlarson wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

any cat off the front step is a prairie lion, and free game!! good for target practice!!

Cat's have their place and some of those billions of critters they kill are beneficial.....Mice, Rats, shrews...etc... But like every other invasive species there are consequences for their introduction. That leaves it to us to control the population.

For me if one walks in my yard it's fair game.

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

This is why I shoot feral cats. The decimate our pheasant population where I live.

from Drover1 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I totally agree. And it’s not just feral cats, but house cats whose owners allow to roam, that kill countless wild animals. Where I live, all pets are required to be fenced or on a leash. Dog owners comply, but cat owners let them out to roam and hunt at will. They don’t stay inside a fence. Many cat owners think it’s cute when fluffy drags home dead birds. Personally I think people who own cats should keep them indoors. One exception is on farms where barn cats do a good job of helping control rodents. Otherwise, I say shoot on sight.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Barn cats do a great job of rodent control, and rabbit contrl, and songbird control......their straight up killers! I do think there should be feral cat control measures that include open hunting. If the general public can't stand the idea of cats being hunted, they don't live in the real world where animals die for their benefit every day.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Agree. Now what's the best weapon to cut down on the crazy cat lady nextdoor's herd? Guess I should get the other neighbor's kid a slingshot. Anyone have experience with blowguns?

from fisherking1999 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

To answer your question Chad; wild dogs are more of a problem because they push around game that we persue, ie deer. Where as cats, not so much. Although, I'm not a bird hunter, I guess cats may cause a decline in pheasants, ducks, dove etc. But just think of how many more rodents would be around if cats weren't killing them all the time.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

@ redfisher. If you live in the country, 22 lr or 17 HMR both work wonders. If you live in the suburbs or city and have a crazy cat lady neighbor I'd stick with air rifles. I used blowguns on neighborhood cats when I was a teen and hit a few without killing them. For true effectiveness and discreetness, use a small dish of anti-freeze or lace some tuna with anti-freeze and none will be the wiser.

from whiteathame wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Now that plague vaccine works most of the time and we have decent antibiotics, We can start killing off our cats to appease the bird-lovers.... I suppose. Rats and vermin will certainly be glad and the plague wouldn't dare spread to unvaccinated populations and everybody has access to cheap and plentiful antibiotics. I also hear that prayer is good.

It's a pity nobody connected with the cat-killing movement or story recalls the historical relationship between such stupidity and the great plagues of Europe and yes, we have a plague incidence in the US, too.

Antibiotic treatment for bubonic plague is usually effective, but pneumonic plague is difficult to treat and even with antibiotic therapy death often results. A killed whole cell plague vaccine has been used in the past, but recent studies in animals have shown that this vaccine offers poor protection against the pneumonic form of the disease.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from hermit crab wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

White:
Not sure about you, but I don't really have many issues with being bitten by fleas, so I'm not too worried about the plague. I've also never owned a cat, never will, and have no real rodent problems. I prefer mouse traps and snakes to cats.

from jmrcexplorer wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I don't agree with killing peoples pets,but in the wild feral cats are fair game. I also think we have plenty of controls for the rodent population. North America got along just fine with Owls, Hawks, Foxes, snakes, and other natural predators before cats were introduced.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

So what you are saying is our Tabby is really a two faced SERIAL KILLER!! (cue jaws music). Seriously, I got no cat. Don’t even like cats.

But my question to the group is, Why is Tabby not hunted in turn by hawks, owls and coyotes? She is just the right size and is out roaming at night. . You see feral cats around farms, and suburbs. But never deep in the forest, Wonder why? Maybe nature is truing to put itself back in balance.

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

These stats probably do not include them as nesting predators of pheasant and Quail. They will eat the eggs as do coons, possums, snakes and fox!

from brentru wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Why isn't the Center for Biodiversity putting their effort into controlling the cat population rather than trying to prevent us from hunting with lead bullets? Cats are obviously a MUCH larger threat to the ecosystem than some potential lead in a gut pile.

from ADDohman wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

why I hate cats

from Giggidy-Giggidy wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I can't believe Andrew Cuomo hasn't tried to outlaw these notorious killers yet

from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

RockySquirrel, I live in some dense woods and yes, a cat-infestation nearly wiped out every last animal on my lands.

Read this:

neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?source=phpbb_art_viewall&t=22154584#p2781776

Then you'll understand how these man-made (through selective breeding) invasive species predator cats can completely wipe-out the native food-chain, from smallest of prey up to the topmost native predators, in any ecosystem where they are allowed to remain.

It even explains why Australia's experiment to increase their Dingo populations to suppress cat population growth-rates was a failure. They'll just have to go back to culling them with guns, as they've already been doing across their lands. Though they had high hopes that native predators could do the job for them. They were recently proved wrong, as was I years ago.

I should have told them what I discovered years ago, then they wouldn't have wasted all that time and valuable native wildlife to find out that even larger predators won't stop a cat infestation from destroying every living thing.

from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

The nice part about the laws in the USA, it doesn't matter how a cat gets onto your own lands from criminally-negligent, disrespectful, and insanely irresponsible cat-lickers. Once their cat is there you have every right to deal with that cat in any manner that you see fit.

I found a way to turn my home and lands into a 100% fatal cat-trap which I now share with everyone who has been plagued by moron cat-lovers. Using IR surveillance cameras and baiting trails of fish-oils along all the roadsides to a feeding dish within range of my laser-sighted rifle. This can totally clean-out ANY stray cats for miles around. VERY EFFECTIVE if you have idiot cat-licking problem-neighbors by you.

You can now get VERY NICE IR surveillance cameras on ebay for only $15 [search ebay with the string: CCTV (IR, infra-red) -- the 48 IR LED ones are best], and $15 rifle laser-sights as well. For only a $30 investment and the drained oils from tuna or sardine tins (or a bottle of fish-oil-fertilizer from your garden-center) to make trails on all your roadsides, you can get rid of EVERY LAST ONE OF THEIR CATS in only a couple seasons!

Further Help: These cats are skittish as all get out. Illuminate your yard with red-floods dimmed low on dimmers (they also put out tons of IR illumination). Once you spot one of their vermin cRats on your surveillance monitor, turn off all your indoor lights, and then SLOWLY, VERY SLOWLY, open the door so as not to scare them out of your yard. The dimmed-low outdoor floods also helping to shield your presence from their view and provide enough light to help aim by. Use the laser-sight to aim for a precision chest-shot. They die in under 3 seconds, often less than 1 second, not even enough time to make a sound. This is FAR FAR FAR more humane than the days of terror and torment that even TNR advocates put their cats through (and then the slow INHUMANE "death by attrition" that they spew and embrace). Contrary to popular opinion, do not use a head-shot. I tried that once, it took much longer for it to die. I now suspect that cats survive more by their reptilian brain-stem than any unused gray-matter that might be above it (just like cat-lovers do). I now suspect this is the origin of their 9-lives myth.

A few more of my tips and methods whereby I managed to get rid of every last one of hundreds of these vermin in only two seasons, can be found (in Reader's Digest form) at www.americanhunter.org/blogs/arkansas-will-trap-feral-cats

For nighttime the scented trails and IR cams worked best, for daytime the help of learning the predator calls of squirrels was best. They always alerted me to the presence of, and led me directly to some of the most wary cats of all. You must take direct relentless action against stray cats, you can't just wait for them all to show up one day or they just keep coming and coming. It's the only way to stay ahead of their breeding rates and the rates at which cat-lickers keep letting more being born and dumped outdoors.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Wow Woodsman01; Uh thanks for the response and you apparently rely thought this out. I don’t like cats either but wow, you really are efficient.

from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

RockySquirrel, it's not that I WANTED to think this through. I have so many other interests in life! But I was FORCED to think this through. And before all this I actually liked cats! Not so much anymore after what demented cat-lickers put me through for the last 18 years. Now it's royal payback time. Karma's a nasty b**ch. (edit aside, 2nd-send: Wow, the "reduce the world to the mentality of a 5-year old" obscenity-filter flagged the word "b**ch" on a site that might have to talk about dogs' genders? LOL Anyway ... back to the issue ...)

I was forced into thinking this through just like local cat-lickers forced me to have to listen to animals in my woods screaming in agony, my running to the sounds of their distress, to find a cat running off from a gutted-alive or skinned-alive animal. And those cat-lickers then FORCING me to have to stomp poor suffering animals to death with my own foot each time, to stop the torment of the animals that those cat-lickers' caused with their cats. I don't think cat-lickers would like being forced into situations like that every other day either, to have to live with the sounds of a small animal's skull popping under your foot to stop its torment and suffering caused by their cats -- for 15 years.

So in order to completely stop this; meaning permanently, NEVER AGAIN -- yes, I was FORCED to think this through. :-)

If you want some more insight into why cat-lickers cause this problem on every continent, in every state, in every community, in every neighborhood; Google for (include quotes): Cats "Human Territorial Behavior By Expendable Proxy"

It's a little something else I discovered about all of this when local cat-lickers tried to take over my life and properties with their cats. When that failed because the Sheriff told them that I have the right to shoot every last one of their cats, they then moved my property markers to attempt to accomplish what they had failed at by using their cats. Their lesson cost them $thousands in surveyor's fees. And of course, the deaths of hundreds of their cats. :-) Now you'll even know exactly why they do it, as well as having every means you need to PERMANENTLY stop it.

(I could write a book today on how to solve a cat-problem anywhere on the planet! LOL)

Good luck!

from GAsqhntr wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Cats are a disaster! They were introduced after Darwin and wiped out all the finches he saw there. They even ate the iguana! A study by UGA in Athens, GA, with critter cams showed domestic pets as expert as feral cats at killing wildlife! Fortunately clarke county has a cat control unit that will take all the cats we catch for disposal. They won't go in a trap unless they are starving so I trap them in January when wild food is scarce. If you are allowed to shoot them,CCI CB ammo behind the front leg is very effective!

from GAsqhntr wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

p.s. The word "culling" is the wrong word to use (as I wrongly used it above), when concerned with stray cats. You are not attempting to just reduce the populations to something tolerable. The correct word to use is "extirpate" -- localized EXTINCTION. You MUST destroy every last free-roaming cat, or the problem will keep happening for generations and centuries to come.

Extirpation of ALL outdoor cats is the goal. Culling won't solve it.

I've not seen even one cat in over 3 years now. (Now I'm trying to prevent that from EVER happening again by educating all others on how to stop it where they live.)

I don't see anyone dumping cats where I live anymore. They don't even adopt more than can be kept under lock & key 24/7. When driving through the area I don't see even one cat on anyone's doorsteps anymore. I always keep an eye out to see if there are more free-roaming cats that will have to be shot one day. And if I'll have to leave fish-oil trails on all the roadsides again, leading right to my IR surveillance system and laser-sighted rifle.

Leaving ANY of their invasive species cat outside in my area means instant death for that cat. You'd think everyone else could learn from this simple lesson. The quickest way to solve an unwanted animal and irresponsible pet-owner problem is to let everyone know that you will quickly and humanely destroy every last one of their unwanted, uncared-for, or unsupervised animals for them. They either grow up fast or, far more plausible, dump their animals elsewhere to become someone else's problem. I laugh at communities that adopt and implement "No Kill" animal shelter policies. Guess what happens to everyone's unwanted pets in surrounding counties and states? They round them all up and then go dump them off in the morons' "No Kill" zones.

You just can't be an enabler of criminally irresponsible spineless and heartless idiots -- or they remain that way. (At least where you live, anyway.)

from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

whiteathame,

You mention the often used excuse that cat-lickers have for letting cats roam free -- protection from the plague. At the risk of overwhelming this discussion even more, I feel the need to correct this dangerous misinformation that everyone's been fed by these lying, manipulative, and deceitful cat-lickers for decades now.

CATS actually carry and spread the plague all on their own. They cannot prevent the spread of plague, they can only help it. And with cats attracting plague-infested rodents right to them by infecting rodents with the cats' own Toxoplasma gondii parasite ( scitizen.com/neuroscience/parasite-hijacks-the-mind-of-its-host_a-23-509.html ), then cats actually attract the plague right to them.

Cats have also been bred to be genetically predisposed to seek out human habitation. This means after any stray cat contracts the plague from any rodent that they kill or a a flea that jumps-ship from that rodent, they then bring The Plague right to everyone's doors.

Cat-Transmitted FATAL PNEUMONIC PLAGUE:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8059908

and a few more just for "fun"
www.pagosasun.com/archives/2011/07July/072811/webplague.html
www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/oregon-man-suffering-plague-critic...
www.daily-times.com/ci_20849462/health-department-said-taos-cat-has-plag...

The Plague is alive and well today in the USA, people have already died from it-- and it's being spread by cats. Totally disproving that oft-spewed lie and myth that more cats in Europe could have prevented the plague. If more cats were around it would have been exponentially worse.

Will your health-care system and economy withstand the onslaught of a plague spread by 150 million feral cats in the USA? A good question.

It's at times like this where I think cat-lovers need to start being convicted of ALL international bioterrorism laws, and left to suffer their full life-sentence.

from Rgw3 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Woodsman001, I believe they have most certainly angered you. Me, I'm a fan of stump hunting personally.

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

First of all, I LOVE cats! Always have, always will. I have two Siamese/Manx cats I've raised since they were kittens. One is 13 the other, 11 and I'm so glad to have them! Everyone has that one "legendary" pet in their lifetime and my older cat, Kubla, is mine. He's like a perfect mix between a dog and a cat plus crazy smart to boot (though he does have his less than brilliant moments).
That being said, I NEVER let them outside. Sometimes Kubla goes for rides with me in my truck, but that's the extent of his going outside. He's not very good at killing things. He just doesn't know what to do. He finally caught a mouse a few months ago and I busted him sitting on the floor with the still very much alive mouse sticking headfirst and blinking out of his mouth. Of course, in his ineptitude, he let it get away and under my dresser. Thankfully, his brother caught it an hour later. Now, Scarecrow...that cat's a KILLER. He's so innocent looking, but he's merciless. The only thing he won't mess with is my parrot. He's been bullied and bitten by the bird all too often.
I would love to see all cat owners keep their pets indoors. I love birds. It's my job to protect them and educate the public about the environment, especially as it pertains to birds of prey. A young brancher owl or hawk that ends up on the ground is an easy mark for a housecat. Also, some warblers build their nests fairly low to the ground, where the chicks can become a quick snack.
The birding community has known for years about the problems with invasive species. Look at what hogs and cats did to the dodo. The trouble with invasives is that the native flora and fauna have no defensive adaptations to deal with a new predator and the newcomers have no effective predators to keep them in check. We've had more than enough time to learn from these instances, it's high time we get up and start DOING something about it. Trap Neuter Return Programs are all warm and fuzzy, but those are cats who are released back into the environment and continue to use up resources and kill native species. What's worse, neutering them will prolong their lives, so they can do more damage for longer. I hate to say it, but euthanasia is the best option. If they are too old or wild to tame down and adopt, then you may as well put them down while you have them restrained and cremate the bodies.

from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Scout, oh so close (thanks for being one of the rare few realistic cat-people), but NO CEEGAR!

I think the worst part of all, anyone associated with TNR aren't adhering to the mandatory REQUIRED BY LAW SIX-MONTH QUARANTINE for any animal when harvested from the wild and intended for any sector of the pet-trade. This is why rabid kittens are now being adopted direct from shelters without the REQUIRED BY LAW 6-MONTH QUARANTINE (Like this one for just ONE example, Google for: rabid kitten adopted wake county) The 10-14 day holding period for bite & scratch cases is ONLY meant to see if they were infectious at the time of the incident, but DOES NOT IN ANY WAY prove that that cat does not have rabies. The incubation period for rabies can be (on average) from 21 to 240 days. And in some cases as much as 11 months. One rare case being 6 years. This is why when you take your pet to another country they MUST quarantine your pet for a MINIMUM of 6 months to be relatively sure (not 100% certain) that you are not bringing rabies into their country. Giving a rabies shot to an animal that already has rabies and has not been quarantined for AT LEAST 6 MONTHS FIRST does NOTHING to ensure that that animal does not have rabies!

But these TNR advocates, and the veterinarians and shelters and local government "officials" that support them? EACH AND EVERY ONE IS IN *DIRECT* *VIOLATION* OF WELL-ESTABLISHED *NATIONAL* & *INTERNATIONAL* *LAW*. They ALL need to be sued -- fast, hard and so deep that they never recover from it.

These are just the diseases these invasive-species vermin cats have been spreading to humans, not counting the ones they spread to all wildlife. THERE ARE NO VACCINES against many of these, and are in-fact listed as bio-terrorism agents. They include: Campylobacter Infection, Cat Scratch Disease, Coxiella burnetti Infection (Q fever), Cryptosporidium Infection, Dipylidium Infection (tapeworm), Hookworm Infection, Leptospira Infection, Giardia, Plague, Rabies, Ringworm, Salmonella Infection, Toxocara Infection, Toxoplasma. [Centers for Disease Control, July 2010] Sarcosporidiosis, Flea-borne Typhus, Tularemia, and Rat-Bite Fever can now also be added to that list.

(Yes, The Plague is alive and well in the USA, and it is now being spread by CATS. Google for: Cat-Transmitted Fatal Pneumonic Plague, for a fun read. One of hundreds. Or: Taos Cat Has Plague, or: Oregon Man Suffering Plague; or hundreds of others. Totally disproving that oft-spewed manipulation tactic by cat-lickers that more cats could have prevented The Plague in Europe -- cats CAUSE IT!)

Now add on top of that that anyone who feeds these cats is training them to approach humans for food (contrary to them always claiming feral cats run from humans). What happens to the child or foolish adult that reaches down to pet or try to pick up that now seemingly friendly "cute kitty"? The wild animal lashes out and bites or scratches the hand that has no food for them.

Google for: feral cat attack rabies

Don't be surprised at the number of search-hits you get or the horrendous stories that go with them. The number of suspected rabies cases and the then required mandatory rabies shots for each individual costing them well over $1000 out of their own pockets, has been growing as exponentially fast as cats breed. Ask a cat-feeder to pay for your shots and lost work-time and suffering? Neither they, nor shelters, nor the local government who supports TNR carry ONE PENNY of liability insurance for the deadly dangers they are bringing to their communities by allowing them to feed and TNR stray cats. Two recent reports even document rabid cats entering a home through their pet-door and one even came through their ceiling searching for human-supplied foods -- one attack so bad it required hospitalization for the family.

Let's make 2013 the year where ALL aspects of TNR are ILLEGAL nationwide. It's the only solution.

(I apologize in retrospect and in advance for any ungainly verbosity that I put the reader through, I am not a fan of 140-character attention-deficit twitter-heads. I type 130+ wpm. Deal with it. :-) )

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from tuna0410 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

woodsman001... That was a good rant but the facts are just not there. There is not federal law that states a six month quarantine has to be placed on an animal that was captured in the wild and then released back into it. What you are talking about pertains to animals being brought into the US from rabies plagued countries, but the quarantine time varies from case to case. As far as the law that requires a 6 month quarantine it is not federal law but a state law that several states have, stating that a domesticated unvaccinated animal who has been bitten or suspected of being bitten by a wild animal must undergo a 6 month quarantine. Most quarantine laws that pertain to the capture and release of animals here in the US are state and local laws. As far as well established international laws on quarantine of animals there are none. The only thing I could see international law having to do with quarantine of cats is if they did some type of war crime (I guess it could happen)... I guess what I am trying to say in short is there is a problem. We need to do something about it. But instead of trying to get people all upset about law enforcement and government not doing something about laws that do not exist, lets try to get some laws or standards passed that will do something about it. That is what makes this country great. We the people have the power to do something about it. I am sure that once these studies are published and debated more government officials will try to change the laws to better address the problem at hand (well at least I hope they do). So lets not worry about suing them, and lets make our voices heard and write to our state and local governments to be proactive in preserving our great outdoors for ourselves and our children.

from 007 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Seems to me I read somewhere that the loss of quail can be blamed equally on changing farming practices, feral housecats, and raptors.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

007 - I belive fox numbers can havalso a large impact on quail. As well as bobcats, of course. We burned timber at my place a couple years ago, and have been shooting fox bobcats and raccoons at every chance and we are starting to see significantly more quail. There's plenty of wild ones to hunt actually, I just don't have a quail dog at the moment. Nor can I locate someone who does. The quail have been gone for so long it's hard to find someone around here that has them. And then it's hard to locate some good dogs.

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

are shooting feral cats illegal in some states? I remember Wisconsin having some issues about shooting them but I think where in Minnesota where I live, we can shoot them if we want

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Hence the invention of the CCI "CB .22 Long". I always thought it stood for Cat Bullet until some astute gun looney informed me that it stood for "conical ball". How silly of me !

from JamesD wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Barn cats are kind of a double-edged sword. These are working animals that provide a service by keeping the rodent populations in check in the barns and out buildings but they also prey on birds and other small game. They're not the cuddly kitties that play with yarn they're born hunter killers. Most of the females don't stray too far. However toms are born prowlers looking for females to breed. To keep the population of cats under control it's best to get rid of the toms and keep the number of females to two or three but females that come into heat are also known to stray and neighboring toms can come prowling around at night. If you cat lovers feel the need to rescue some of these cats you have my permisson if you can catch them and I'm not going to pay you for it. If anyone else finds one of these strays on your property camped out by your bird feeders don't come knocking on my door and interrupting my busy day you have my permission to take care of business no harm, no foul, no hard feelings.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

JamesD, with all due respect (which is none, because you clearly show that you have no respect for your neighbors nor any of our native wildlife), it's not MY JOB to have to hunt down and then bury your disease infested invasive species piece-of-shi** predator cats.

If YOU want to employ a destructive invasive species, then that is YOUR responsibility to keep them where YOU need them to be. If I had a need to raise Black Mambas as a particular type of predator, should I be unconcerned if they happen to roam onto your property and make them YOUR responsibility? And then give you permission to destroy them if need be, as if I'm doing you some kind of wonderful favor and then feel like "I did my job" by giving you permission to destroy them?

I neither need nor want your permission. But YOU need to apologize to everyone's lives that you've wasted for even one minute with your piece-of-shi* cats. AND THEN STOP DOING IT. Or your apology is just as empty as your brain.

I wasted 2 seasons out of my life having to hunt down and shoot and bury HUNDREDS of your piece-of-shi* cats. Mind if I send you the bill for 1/2 year's salary?

Kids on farms and ranches used to learn a valuable lesson in how to be a good steward of their lands and how to be a neighbor that deserves some respect. With one simple lesson, "If you see a cat more'n 50 yards from any building -- SHOOT IT. It's up to no good!"

I suggest you start teaching that lesson to your OWN family and all others lest you be seen as the disrespectful neighbor and earth-destroying moron that you are.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from remingman870 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

I hunt close to a trailer park, and I saw at least one every day that I was out during bow season and once one spooked couple of does that where coming in because the cat found a mouse and was playing with it. After that incident I felt like shooting it but I couldn't bring myself to kill it: I hate killing things with a bow without reason. Almost as much as paying for replacement blades for arrow heads.

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Woodsman,
For the record, I don't support TNR in any any way, shape or form for any species nor do I support the idea of free roaming domestic cats. Just so we're clear. Also, for many of the diseases you've listed, cats aren't the only vectors. LOTS of different species, including dogs can carry many of those infections (giardia, rabies and cryptosporidium as examples). It's like saying red-tailed hawks are the reason for the decline in quail populations. (They are not, btw.) Humans are the worst disease vectors EVER...mostly because so many of them are ill mannered, disgusting and feel they cannot cover their mouths when the cough and MUST come to work or the movies while snotting everywhere.
Saying The Plague is "alive and well" in the US is a bit of hyperbole, don't you think? Though it does exist in the US, it's very rare. It's kind of like Hansen's Disease. It exists, but it's not rampant and not likely to become so in the near future. Plus both are treatable if caught early. Hantavirus is more common which is spread by rodents.
Anyway, there's no doubt that feral cats are a severe detriment to many native species. Action must be taken as it's already out of control just like with feral hogs, pythons and pigeons to name a few. My vote is for total elimination of all invasives in the wild. If we can kill of the Carolina Parakeet and the Passenger Pigeon, why can't we take care of our modern problems?

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from srlarson wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

For me if one walks in my yard it's fair game.

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from fisherking1999 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Giggidy-Giggidy wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I can't believe Andrew Cuomo hasn't tried to outlaw these notorious killers yet

from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Extirpation of ALL outdoor cats is the goal. Culling won't solve it.

from Woodsman001 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

whiteathame,

Cat-Transmitted FATAL PNEUMONIC PLAGUE:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8059908

and a few more just for "fun"
www.pagosasun.com/archives/2011/07July/072811/webplague.html