Sniping Giant Rats: Rifles and Night Vision Used to Combat Mutant Iranian Rodents

Field Notes

March 13, 2013

By Chad Love

Giant—and possibly radioactive—mutant rats that grow larger than cats are taking over the city of Tehran. In response, the government deployed a team of elite, night-vision goggle-wearing rat snipers who roam the city in a desperate bid to take back the streets from their rodent foes. But they're barely making a dent.

From this story on the Huffington Post:
Although Tehran has had a decades-long struggle with rats, its rodent problem seems to have grown to epic proportions as of late. Giant rats that have been flushed out of their nests by melting snow are the focus of a renewed extermination effort in the Iranian capital, according to several reports. Some of the rodents reportedly weigh as much as 11 pounds.

The International Business Times quoted Tehran city council environment adviser Ismail Kahram, who told Iranian news website Qudsonline.ir that the rats "seem to have had a genetic mutation, probably as a result of radiations and the chemical used on them." "They are now bigger and look different. These are changes that normally take millions of years of evolution. They have jumped from 60 grams to five kilos, and cats are now smaller than them," Kahram said, according to the outlet...

According to the story, in addition to 45 tons of rat poison, the Iranian army has deployed a team of army snipers, which has reportedly racked up a couple thousand kills so far, which of course begs two question: How big was the biggest rat you ever saw (and where), and what's your idea of the ultimate rat gun?

Photo from Metro

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

I saw a couple of rats about that size in Korea forty years ago.

from rfleer87 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

That is crazy.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

How long do the tail and incisors need to be to make B&C?

from postmodern_barbarian wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

I don't see rats very often and when I do they're probably on the small to average side. For sniping at them, my choice of guns depends on where I am. I generally like a .22 rimfire. But an "adult" airgun is a better choice if you're shooting around inhabited buildings or any place where a richoting bullet could be cause trouble.

from Loxahatchee wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

My brothers currently in afghanistan, and when he's on post at night, he's seen rats running around as big as cats. Id take a .410 or a 20 guage if I was out for numbers. For challenge, a .22

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

I loved shooting rats off of manure piles with my marlin .22 way back when, but those were little Florida rats, I think for these I would want my ranch rifle!

from action1250 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

How do you tell the difference in a rat and a towel head?
Answer: YOU DON'T!!!!!!!!!

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from John Martynski wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

That's a new one, rats shooting rats

from hutter wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Any good prairie dog load.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

My first day in Seoul I was being shown around by my new patrol partner and we were tooling around up at the trap range when a big rat walked out on the road and looked at us. I jumped out of the jeep (actually M1-51), drew a bead on him with my .45 and blew it in half. I can still hear my partner screaming at me. I forgot those rounds had to be accounted for. Luckily someone had stashed a couple extras and Charles got me out of that pinch. I reciprocated a few weeks later when a drunk came alive on him at the bus station. No, I didn't shoot the guy, but by the time the swelling finally went down in his left knee he was wishing I had. However, I had to get another night stick. Those oak ones had a tendency to snap under pressure. The plastic ones were too lethal and Army wouldn't let us use them except in riot situations.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from HogBlog wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

If you don't count muskrats, I've never seen a rat that was quite as big as a cat... but we used to shoot some pretty big ones in the grain bins and feed barns when I was a kid. Most shooting then was done with .22lr, and I annoyed a bunch of them with my Red Ryder, but I sure wish we'd had .17hmr back then. That would have been perfect for the "smart ones" who lived in the irrigation ditches and would only pop out 100 yards from the shooters.

from dfleer7 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

That's a big rat.

from habben97 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

.22lr and a good scope. would probably be a good idea to take some of that .22 birdshot for close up.

from Sb Wacker wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

A fantastic inner city bowhunting opportunity surely
Failing that [and its likely :-)] the new 17WSM could be perfect
SBW

from plinkster wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

I would use a 243. but I beg to ask the question: where did the radioactive stuff come from?What's so radioactive?

from bscrandall wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

A .17hmr with a good scope would be good. Dump some cracked corn and sit in the shade. Tehran's version of prairie dog hunting!

from ozarkghost wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

Holy rat mutation Batman!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 6 days ago

We just found the secret Iranian nuclear facility: Tehran's sewer system!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

I saw a couple of rats about that size in Korea forty years ago.

from rfleer87 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

That is crazy.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

How long do the tail and incisors need to be to make B&C?

from postmodern_barbarian wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

from Loxahatchee wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

from John Martynski wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

That's a new one, rats shooting rats

from hutter wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Any good prairie dog load.

from HogBlog wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

from dfleer7 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

That's a big rat.

from habben97 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

A fantastic inner city bowhunting opportunity surely
Failing that [and its likely :-)] the new 17WSM could be perfect
SBW

from plinkster wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

from bscrandall wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

from ozarkghost wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

Holy rat mutation Batman!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 6 days ago

We just found the secret Iranian nuclear facility: Tehran's sewer system!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from action1250 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

How do you tell the difference in a rat and a towel head?
Answer: YOU DON'T!!!!!!!!!