Boat Motor Pollution: NJ Town to Ban Fishing Tournaments on Pond Used for Drinking Water

Field Notes

March 28, 2013

By Chad Love

Officials in one New Jersey town are trying to ban fishing tournaments on a body of water that supplies drinking water to their town.

From this story on providencejournal.com:
Tiverton officials say they're planning to fight state environmental regulators over their approval of fishing tournaments on a pond that supplies thousands of town residents with drinking water. The Newport Daily News reports that the Tiverton Town Council is expected to consider amending its drinking water reservoir ordinance Monday in an effort to ban fishing tournaments on Stafford Pond by next year. The state Department of Environmental Management amended its freshwater fishing regulations in 2008 to allow fishing tournaments and contestants with boats equipped with large motors.

According to the story, residents are worried that boat motors will pollute the pond in question. Thoughts?

from hermit crab wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

I wouldn't want gasoline powered motors in my drinking water either. Electric motors only, problem solved.

from firedawg wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

First off, Tiverton is in RI not NJ. I agree with HermitCrab. If I remember correctly that pond isn't big enough to warrant the use of a gas motor. Their biggest concern should be the amount of goose excrement in it. I have duck hunted near there, and have always been amazed at the number of geese sitting on it after I leave with only a duck or 2 in hand. I just sit and watch and wish that I could hunt on that pond.

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Residents have a point. There are lakes in Western New York supplying drinking water to large metro areas. No fossil fuel motors allowed. I remember growing up on a Finger Lakes come August the lake smelled of fuel oil. That was in the day of 2-stroke boat motors.

from Sten wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Here in Newfoundland pretty much all outdoor activities are banned on water supply ponds and lakes including swimming, fishing, hunting and boating of any kind. I don't see why using a canoe should be banned, but gas powered motors I do agree with.

from hermit crab wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago